Author Topic: Prices of trains  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Prices of trains
« on: October 13, 2021, 03:09:42 »
Is it just me or have the prices of trains skyrocketed?

$900 for a 4052
$600-$700 for a western train
$500 for a 3958
$400 for a diesel

Even the RC trains are way up

Then there are the wagons typically starting at $100
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Prices of trains
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 09:17:41 »
Yes, they have.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 20:13:45 »
Yep, in the last three years or so the prices have really gone up. At least the asking prices have. Are they actually getting those prices? There are still some ok prices if you watch carefully. Managed to get the Christmas train this year for about $335 including shipping and felt like that was reasonable considering rarity and style.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 23:48:26 »
Yes the Christmas train is a nice unique set that any holiday diorama seems incomplete without . We used to set it up around the tree until the boys became not so small.

It just seems that the prices took off which triggered a bunch of sets to hit the market. I’m currently trying to negotiate the deals back down to earth but am have little success

We’ll see after the holidays when people need to pay their credit cards off and they need cash
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 08:22:40 »
I agree that prices seem to have hiked recently, but luckily I don't collect trains. I made the decision early on and have stuck to it, so far.
Surely, its time geobra started reissuing train sets? There is clearly a demand.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 01:25:49 »
I paid 800.00 USD, plus 400.00 USD shipping (not including import customs charges and HST (13%) to bring it into Canada) for 4034 back in 2016 which was MIB with the original outer shipping carton. I paid a lot less for Playmobil set 3958 V1 and V2. I would not even try to buy any of these sets at the rates they are selling for now and they are not even MIB.

I have 3 sets of 4054 MISB (different versions) and some of them are going for 2k CAD plus on eBay, that is just nuts.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 05:51:49 »
I think it's pretty unlikely there will ever be track powered sets again, so those will continue to go up I think.  If more RC battery sets get released then that may bring some of the more recent set prices down a little.

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 15:25:31 »
I think it's pretty unlikely there will ever be track powered sets again, so those will continue to go up I think.  If more RC battery sets get released then that may bring some of the more recent set prices down a little.

I could see them bringing back the coaches and other rolling stock. It seems they are bringing back a lot of sets lately in the same colors too.  With regards to the Steaming Mary, I am sure they could sort that out to fit the RC style. But I agree that the powered track sets are not coming back unless Playmobil does like Lego and has an adult series. If PM brought out a massive Big Boy  4-8-8-4 steam locomotive I would be all over that as it would fit great with the vintage rolling stock that they have already made.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll