Author Topic: Has anyone read the "Playmobil Collector" 2nd Edition (80073)?  (Read 8105 times)

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Has anyone read the "Playmobil Collector" 2nd Edition (80073)?

Is it a catalog of photos of PM sets? 
Is there interesting text with it?

PM USA provides no information about it other than the front cover and the price tag.

Offline arab warrior

• Playmo Lover
Re: Has anyone read the "Playmobil Collector" 2nd Edition (80073)?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 12:29:48 »
I have only the first edition, but i couldnt do without that one, i think the second one is just about the same but more photos.

Rob

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 13:37:23 »
its absolutely mandatory stuff...  8-) :yup:

i do not know any more accurate and complete selection of playmo-items...

basically all (most) existing sets including eggs and exclusive international sets are listed.
it is printed in an german/english bilingual version (like jo's homepage) and the sets are
sorted in a historical order.

it is often hard to find a single set if you do not know the set number or the release
date, but after a while you DO know the approx. release date for most sets...  8}

I think, everybody who reached the state of regular ordering parts from the DS should
own it. BTW, the book is designed, structured and filled mostly by collectors active in
the german forum, the editor, axel, is frequently present on the main meetings in
germany as well.

other opinions are to find here:
http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=937.0

best,
socrates

P.S.: great that you can get it in the US as well, btw...
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 13:55:13 »

Hello, Timmy and Rob ...

its absolutely mandatory stuff...  8-) :yup:

i do not know any more accurate and complete selection of playmo-items...

I totally agree with Socrates!

I have both the first and second editions. The second edition corrects a lot of errors made in the first edition (especially the early sets made in the United States). The second edition includes two additional years which is very important if you are an active collector of recently released sets.

I am hoping that a third edition will be released soon (and I will buy that one too). I am also hoping that the third edition will include all of the "Add-On" sets (7000 series).

I don't think that you will be sorry if you buy it.

:xholly: Seasons Greetings,
Richard

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 14:02:25 »

Hello again, Timmy ...

Is there interesting text with it?

If you want "interesting text," you might want to also buy "Playmobil, The Story of a Smile" (80074}.

Richard

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 17:11:47 »
The book might have a total of 3 to 4 dozen little blue boxes of interesting facts.
like this
" With its own packaging design and the name "Playpeople", the British company MARX-Toys started assembling and distributing the klickies in the UK and at the end of 1975 five years later Louis Marx and Co Ltd lost their license because of Bankruptcy. In 81 Playmobil UK Ltd. was founded and continued distribution for the British market "
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline core

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 06:27:11 »
If you want "interesting text," you might want to also buy "Playmobil, The Story of a Smile" (80074}.

Well, how about a quick review  :)  Been thinking about adding it to my next order ...

btw, it's thumbs up for me wrt to "Playmobil Collector; for my 2 boys they ooh and ahh over the star rating rarity like any pokemon collector would (and fwiw they don't even watch/collect pokemon, but you get the drift) - have to gently remind them about it being more or less arbitrary though, and spoil all the fun ...  :-[
Peter

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 21:06:35 »

Hello, Peter ...

Well, how about a quick review  :)  Been thinking about adding it to my next order ...

FWIW. I have two copies of the German version of "Playmobil, The Story of a Smile" (80074}. This is really great, because I neither speak nor read German ... ;)

However, the pictures are wonderful ...

There are lots of photos of early Klickys as well as other things that Geobra made before Hans Beck and Playmobil. There's even a photo of a young Horst Brandstätter water-skiing ...  ;D

There are also some interesting stories like Oliver's "Tower of Might" ...  :o

All in all, IMO, it's a fun, informative book that you and your boys should enjoy.

Richard

Edit: Added name of book ...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 14:02:24 by Richard »

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 11:00:37 »
I have the first edition and find it an invaluable source of quick reference.  8-)

I've been intending for a long time to buy the second one, but it's never been available through the UK Amazon site, which I find rather annoying.
Guess I'll just have to order it from Germany or I may never get one. ::)

I would also recommend the book Richard mentioned, by Felicitas Bachmann. :)

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 22:39:29 »
Thanks everybody for the responses.

Sounds like I will get the collector guide.

I do have Story of a Smile and recommend it to anyone interested in Geobra history.  I was only disappointed that she couldn't provide any inside info on the steck-to-System X transition.  It would also have been fun if she could have gone into more detail about the concept-to-product lifecycle. 

But the pictures are fantastic, and the shots of the mold injectors are very interesting.
-Tim