Author Topic: Changes to Permissions  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Changes to Permissions
« on: January 04, 2009, 12:55:48 »

Due to a recent security breach, I've been forced to reset a couple of standard permissions.

Previously ALL members were able to delete their posts (unless they were at the beginning of a topic) and there was no time limit at all on editing posts.

I had left it this way mainly for the benefit of people posting wanted/trade topics which they might want to come back to and edit at a later date. The post deletion permission allowed members to remove accidental posts they might make without needing to ask a moderator for help.

However, these permissions also meant that an outsider with knowledge of another member's password was able to log in and edit or delete an entire back history of that person's posts.

All members now have 24 hours only to edit their posts. So if you see a spelling error or other glitch you will need to fix it promptly - or ask a moderator to fix it for you if you feel it's really necessary. Only an admin or moderator will be able to delete posts from now on.

At this point I would also like to remind everyone to never share their password with another person (no matter how trusted) and also to use a secure password that you don't use elsewhere. Don't use a word from the dictionary as there are programs that can easily hack those. (Some idiots really have too much time on their hands ::)). It's much safer to use a combination if possible - two words joined together, or a password which contains both letters and digits.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by the above changes, but I believe they are unavoidable if we want to maintain a secure forum.