Author Topic: New playmobil shop category  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
New playmobil shop category
« on: November 25, 2021, 23:45:47 »
I did not notice this before but on the playmo -US site it has a new category in the online shop,

It’s called “Kidults”

Obviously it’s Geobra’s recognition of the adult collector but they still just had to attach a demeaning childish connotation to the title. As if we “Never Want To Grow Up” ha ha ha  :P

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
Re: New playmobil shop category
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 03:19:29 »
I saw that. "Collectors" would be a more flattering term.  :lol:

Offline Adam16bit

• Playmo Enthusiast
  • has been writing about toys for a long time
    • 16bit.com
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 05:05:28 »
In the toy business, a few of the bigger companies in the USA used "kidult" in a lot of internal presentations (and to their store customers) for a very brief period of time before moving on to "Fan."  (More encompassing than collectors, not everybody is a hardcore collector, but everybody is a fan!)
--Adam
16bit.com and elsewhere

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 05:17:49 »
For some reason to me is sounds too close to

Kid-cult

And fan just reminds me of fan-boy

I’m an E.S.L.  kid so English is odd to me , not the best perspective

“ A fan or fanatic, sometimes also termed an aficionado or enthusiast, is a person who exhibits strong interest or admiration for something or somebody, such as a celebrity or a sport or a sports team, a genre, a politician, a book, a movie, a video game or an entertainer.”

“Playmobil Aficionado” sounds sophisticated
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 07:26:27 »
There are people who would own that kidult label, a bit like table top gamers who sometimes refer to the purchasing of new figures as 'plastic crack' as in crack cocaine.

Offline collectobart

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 07:28:25 »
I did not notice this before but on the playmo -US site it has a new category in the online shop,

It’s called “Kidults”

Obviously it’s Geobra’s recognition of the adult collector but they still just had to attach a demeaning childish connotation to the title. As if we “Never Want To Grow Up” ha ha ha  :P

Yeah, but it is not really the recognition of the adult PLAYMOBIL collector. PLAYMOBIL has missed the boat with connecting to the youngest generation in its hesitance or incompetency to walk both the physical toy path and the way of digital alternatives like Lego has.  The kidult market tries to fill that growing sales gap with things that would interest PLAYMOBIL's first generation again. The company is also run by that generation, that is why most license themes clearly appeal to this 70ies/80ies generation.

Offline collectobart

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 07:29:02 »
There are people who would own that kidult label, a bit like table top gamers who sometimes refer to the purchasing of new figures as 'plastic crack' as in crack cocaine.

Like say, Warhammer?

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 08:43:20 »
That's horrid.  But expected. They have something against PLAYMOBIL collectors. They figure to appeal to OTHER nutcases... :(

Not that we're not used to it, right?

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 17:33:26 »
...things that would interest PLAYMOBIL's first generation again. The company is also run by that generation, that is why most license themes clearly appeal to this 70ies/80ies generation.

That is a very interesting insight into current thinking at gB GMBH! Obvious I suppose, but not something I had considered before you said it, Bart!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Online JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 18:24:08 »
I guess I'm a kidult, judging by the fact that I already have every set listed in that category.