Author Topic: Playmobil: a poor investment?  (Read 8384 times)

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
Re: Playmobil: a poor investment?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 21:45:45 »
As a Lego collector, I would never buy Lepin, the same way I would never buy knock off Playmobil (or pretty much knock off anything. What’s the point of owning a knock off Rolex if it’s not the real thing, quality- and cachet-wise?). The quality of Lepin sets is subpar at best, and one of the reasons why people collect Lego is that it’s, among other things, a quality toy.

I’ve been collecting the modulars for years now starting with the Fire Brigade, and although I have some gaps in my collection since then - Brick Bank and the Lego Diner - I wouldn’t be interested in a knock off version of either.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 09:30:28 »
I maybe didn't phrase that right - but I mean that there is an expectation among Lego collectors that (certain) sets will increase in value, which in term justifies spending a lot on them. Sets are bought by adults with the expectation that they will hold/increase in value, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I think there are a few Playmobil sets like that - where you would be willing to spend big, because you believe you'll potentially get your money back - but it's not a generalised expectation. and the re-issues have probably dampened that down.

The quality of Lepin sets is subpar at best, and one of the reasons why people collect Lego is that it’s, among other things, a quality toy.

I've bought a bunch of Mould King/Lepin products, and whatever you might think about the morality of it, I don't really think it's fair to describe it as subpar.

I've never had an issue with the 'fit' of the bricks, the quality of the printing*, missing pieces*, and I never had pieces that were badly/incorrectly moulded - I've seen this mentioned online, but it's not been my experience. It could be that the modular buildings are simpler to produce in terms of the bricks, or maybe they improved their quality control, or maybe I've just been lucky. Personally, I don't think I could tell them apart.

*which is more than I can say about Playmobil...

Offline Redmao

• Playmo Lover
  • Playmo adventurer
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 10:20:53 »
Though there has been success stories, toys are not an investment.
Kids of the 80's who collect toys will soon have to realize that there's no one interested in this stuff following us. Newer generations don't have the same attachment to toys as we do, so they won't pursue these toys except for a few "hey my dad had one of these" type of cases. The nostalgia bug doesn't have the same grip on the mid to late millenials and even less on the gen-z.

So when people realize this, the market will be flooded as we'll pretty much go at the same time.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 16:19:30 »
I suspect what you say is true, Redmao. Sadly. There is certainly a much greater choice of toys to spend money on nowadays, as well as a lot more disposable income (for some people) than, say in my parents' time. I am not a child of the 80s, btw!

So we should collect PM for the joy it brings us, not the money we might make later. That's fine by me.

Do people agree, as has been suggested more than once in this discussion, that the reissuing of sets by PM has a significant depressing effect on collectability for those who collect as an investment? And the converse would be the case for Lego, who never reissue sets?

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2021, 18:16:21 »
Re queston on plastic track. It was interduced with the R.C. sets in 1997. For a list go to my web site www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk and go to te page "Stock" and scroll down. There was also some plastic track made with brass rail inserts that was made for shop displays.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2021, 20:38:15 »
Though there has been success stories, toys are not an investment.
Kids of the 80's who collect toys will soon have to realize that there's no one interested in this stuff following us. Newer generations don't have the same attachment to toys as we do, so they won't pursue these toys except for a few "hey my dad had one of these" type of cases. The nostalgia bug doesn't have the same grip on the mid to late millenials and even less on the gen-z.

So when people realize this, the market will be flooded as we'll pretty much go at the same time.

The secondary ‘toys as investment’ market doesn’t work like that currently. In the past people would think they’d buy a toy - whatever - and keep it mint, then sell it twenty years later to fund their children’s future. Those days are gone … IF they ever existed.

Nowadays, turnaround is much, much shorter and driven mostly by production numbers/scarcity. Many of the action figures I sold at double and triple the price in 2021 had been released in the past 5 years maximum, many of them in a single production run (the kind which sells out in a matter of days), or even worse as made to order exclusives. We’re talking adult collector items here, not the stuff you see clogging the shelves in dept stalls and supermarkets. 50 euro Japanese action figures going for a 100 - 150.

I’ve dabbled in stocks and in index funds and let me tell you, not many of those ‘proper’ investments yield a double or triple return in a matter of a couple of years.

Of course, like all investments, it is essential to know the toy market well, and to know - this is probably the most important part - how to time the market when selling. Sell too soon, and the return will be meager. Sell too late, and there might be a reissue that deflates the going price, or a better updated version of the toy might come out, making the older version unpopular.

What I make from selling toys goes into buying newer toys. Like with many things in life, I find that tastes change - often for the better. The toys I’m buying now, while giving me enjoyment in the present (how funny that sounds …) will surely appreciate in value by the time I am ready to sell my collection for good. I mean, once I hit 60 - 70 or older I’ll probably sell. Don’t want my family to have to go through my toys once I’m gone.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2021, 00:12:30 »
I’m not sure I agree. I think it all depends on how you purchase the sets. If you were to go to a department store, paying a premium, then yes. Your not going to see the value appreciate very much. In the past , with many playmofriend scouts all over the states, I used to buy at Toys R Us or other normal retailers when the sets were up for rotation. I was picking up loads of sets for pennies on the dollar. I also used to buy a lot of huge job lots on auction also.  Typically by the pound as a posed to by the set. I easily could have sold a few sets off to pay for the bulk remainder. I have never sold playmo and never bought it with the intention of future value. We’ll play value yes but not financial incentives. 
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 14:50:41 »
Playmobil FAO set # 5955

Original $100
Clearance $50

Multiple completed auctions $350-375
 (one delusional seller - Buy it Now $600)

$100 to $375 = 275% increase
$50 to $350 = 600% increase
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 20:33:43 »
Playmobil FAO set # 5955

Original $100
Clearance $50

Multiple completed auctions $350-375
 (one delusional seller - Buy it Now $600)

$100 to $375 = 275% increase
$50 to $350 = 600% increase

See, it does happen. And people with an eye for investments and a knowledge of the collecting world would realise such a set would be a good investment. But the appreciation rarely happens overnight, so you need the initial capital to invest, and also lots of storage. And time, years in general. Not decades, but a good 3-5 years of waiting.

Also keep in mind that the rest of the world rarely sees 50% off anything, let along anything worthwhile, so you guys are at an advantage there. A huge one.

Meanwhile this month I sold off most of my MIB Lego LOTR collection - which I bought around 2014 iirc for a nice profit. The proceeds went into buying some sets I really wanted. Eventually, once I’m older (I’m 45 now), these too will be sold. At a profit, or maybe not. But at least they’ll be passed on, the money will be recouped or at least part of it, and at least all that ABS will not end up in a landfil for a long time, all the while giving pleasure to the owner.

Everybody ends up winning, no?

My problem with the world of toys is that so much cheap (and not so cheap) rubbish is produced, like everything else really - looking at you, fashion - people should educate themselves to buy better things that last more.

One of my constant battles with my six year old daughter is teaching her to go for quality instead of rubbish. Toys, sweets, clothes. But it’s an uphill battle because the rubbish always seems nicer and shinier (and sweeter).

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2021, 23:56:10 »
One of my constant battles with my six year old daughter is teaching her to go for quality instead of rubbish. Toys, sweets, clothes. But it’s an uphill battle because the rubbish always seems nicer and shinier (and sweeter).

A big criticism I have of modern society is that we pay smart people large amounts of money not only to make rubbish but to push people to buy it (marketing). Children are a real target.  >:(
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: