Author Topic: Novelties 2020: Jul-Sep  (Read 14082 times)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
Re: Novelties 2020: Jul-Sep
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 09:22:25 »
Well, it's got to be north of the equator if Christmas is in winter.

This site https://www.animationsource.org/spirit/en/custom/&nump=9662 says Oregon!

This site https://spirit-riding-free-fan.fandom.com/wiki/Miradero says California! It says it's set in a state, not a territory, which rules out New Mexico and Arizona (and as I'm in New Mexico, I'll say the architecture and greenery is wrong for here). It also says they are within riding distance of the Pacific Ocean, which axes Texas and indeed anything but California, Oregon, or Washington. California is the most logical because there are some Spanish names in the show and because there are clear blue skies and sunshine (this is pre-smog).

Other sites say Texas?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:31:29 by Ismene »

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 12:01:44 »
Perhaps it's as hard to pin down as Springfield, of Simpsons fame?
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 13:57:47 »
So I did a little looking... Spirit is based upon Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

So then I looked up Cimarron, where the wild mustangs roam,

What is the Cimarron?
Cimarron Territory refers to the area that is now the Oklahoma Panhandle, a strip of land 34 miles wide and 169 miles long.

Where does the movie Spirit take place?
The homeland of the mustangs and Lakotas is based on Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park, and the Teton mountain range; the cavalry outpost was also based on Monument Valley.

The term frontier town makes me think it’s the Oklahoma location...
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 15:41:50 »
Good sleuthing, leefert. Proud of you  :sherlock:

Anyway, sorry to change a fascinating topic. New instructions available (but not on the official set-pages), so I thought I'd post here. Arctic adventure sets, Spielboxes, a fire set and the Pizzeria. No spare parts listed for any.

New Instructions Nov 25 2019
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 16:47:52 »
The fire set shows the level Playmobil have sunk to.  A burning barrel on a raft in the sea and they send a fire boat and a helicopter with water bucket.  Why not just let the fire burn itself out?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 20:51:08 »
So I did a little looking... Spirit is based upon Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

Makes sense... I was finding it odd being off the US..

Anyway, sorry to change a fascinating topic. New instructions available (but not on the official set-pages), so I thought I'd post here. Arctic adventure sets, Spielboxes, a fire set and the Pizzeria. No spare parts listed for any.

New Instructions Nov 25 2019

Thank you :)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 08:17:59 »

It does make it easier to tailor the setting to the needs of the plot, if it's not nailed down.

So then I looked up Cimarron, where the wild mustangs roam,

What is the Cimarron?
Cimarron Territory refers to the area that is now the Oklahoma Panhandle, a strip of land 34 miles wide and 169 miles long.

Where does the movie Spirit take place?
The homeland of the mustangs and Lakotas is based on Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park, and the Teton mountain range; the cavalry outpost was also based on Monument Valley.

The term frontier town makes me think it’s the Oklahoma location...

I knew about the movie, but I have no idea if the movie and the tv show are meant to be set in the same locations (not having watched any of this). The movie features several somewhat specific locations (per Wikipedia): a Kiger Mustang herd, a Lakota village, the Transcontinental Railroad, and the Grand Canyon. So is he starting in Oregon, going east to the Dakotas, south to the Railroad, farther south to the Grand Canyon, then back to the Dakotas, finally returning to Oregon? As far as I can find, the tv show is much less committed to specific locations; I imagine this greatly reduces the need for historical research. Has anyone watched any of this?

The fire set shows the level Playmobil have sunk to.  A burning barrel on a raft in the sea and they send a fire boat and a helicopter with water bucket.  Why not just let the fire burn itself out?
Maybe it's a training exercise? Otherwise, I can just imagine the exposés about wasted tax dollars. Is the boat shooting projectile weapons at the burning barrel?

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2019, 03:44:23 »

Springfield is based on Portland, Oregon. Some of the characters are even named after Portland streets (e.g. Lovejoy and Terwilliger, to name two I know well). The nuclear plant is a reference to the Hanford plant, up the Columbia a ways from Portland.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2019, 09:29:16 »
Thanks for that, Macruran! I had no idea the mystery had been solved! Every time a map of the States appears on The Simpsons, showing the location of Springfield, someone walks in front of it. You clearly have a skilful team of researchers helping solve this mystery!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2019, 12:40:50 »
Sorry, I did mean the 'south of the USA' rather than the continent of South America, which was slapdash of me.

Springfield is deliberately not meant to be anywhere, and the geography is impossible. But Matt Groening is from Portland, so it was the partial inspiration.