Author Topic: Removing klicky hands?  (Read 9146 times)

Offline mwilbury

• Playmo Enthusiast
Removing klicky hands?
« on: April 11, 2010, 04:09:26 »
This topic has probably been covered, but I couldn't find it in a search. . . is there an easy way to pop the hands out of the arms? 

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Re: Removing klicky hands?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:57:44 »
Not without breaking the arms unfortunately. They are molded in.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:55:03 »
I tried it sometimes withterrible results...if the arm would not crack, the hand would be VERY loose in another arm making it frustrating to try and make the klicky hold something steady....

Offline reylocann

• Playmo Fanatic
  • One can never have too many cats!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:40:27 »
 :wave:

I have actually had some success removing hands.... I had to change the skin colour of one of my klickys and got the hands out without too much trouble.  It was an older klicky - probably late 80's early 90's.  I used a special pair of needle nose pliers [the have a foam like material in the jaws]. I grabbed the wrist below the hand and  gently rocked it back and forth using moderate pressure and the hand popped out without visible damage to the wrist or hand. The opening in the arm did widen a bit [a mm or so], however, the replacement hand still had to be "popped" in and was fairly secure.  To be on the safe side I warmed the joint and "tightened" it back around the hand. 

Rey

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. - Plato

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:28:44 »
To be on the safe side I warmed the joint and "tightened" it back around the hand. 

Havent thought of that....good idea!!!

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:51:09 »
:wave:

I have actually had some success removing hands.... I had to change the skin colour of one of my klickys and got the hands out without too much trouble.  It was an older klicky - probably late 80's early 90's.  I used a special pair of needle nose pliers [the have a foam like material in the jaws]. I grabbed the wrist below the hand and  gently rocked it back and forth using moderate pressure and the hand popped out without visible damage to the wrist or hand. The opening in the arm did widen a bit [a mm or so], however, the replacement hand still had to be "popped" in and was fairly secure.  To be on the safe side I warmed the joint and "tightened" it back around the hand. 

Rey

Excellent Rey, you've discovered my secret :)9! I've done it the same way with satisfying results! I have adapted a small section of rubber hose slid onto the donor hand & used needle nosed pliers in the same fashion. After installing the different Klicky hands this is the procedure I use. I cover the newly installed hand & forearm leaving a 1/4" uncovered wrist area with cold wet linen cloths to prevent over heating of the surrounding areas, then position a hair dryer set on medium depending on the hair dryer to soften the plastic in the wrist area. When you start to see the plastic "mend" from the heat, stop, & quickly use a dry cloth to press the wrist area to tighten it around new hand. I also use a hair dryer set on medium to make white stress marks disappear on damaged vehicles also. My wife's hair dryer is in use a lot, but not for beauty purposes ;)!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:58:33 by Bill Blackhurst »
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 13:22:08 »
Thanks for the tips Bill and Rey! :)

I assume that your heating tecnique, Bill,
Would work for other things like... bending hats?
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 13:50:31 »
Thanks for the tips Bill and Rey! :)

I assume that your heating tecnique, Bill,
Would work for other things like... bending hats?

Most definitely WoT! I strongly recommend that practice is made using a comparable thickness & type of scrap plastic to prevent damage to a valuable item, & to perfect your bending skills! I don't recommend using a heat gun due to extreme heat being able to disform items severely, however I use the one I have for projects, but rarely. I use "the hair dryer :evilplan:" for setting decals, removing decals, bending parts, drying large batches of used parts received from eBay after washing, shrinking heat wrap plastic, really there isn't a day that I don't plug it in to use on my Playmobil projects! Great investment, plus it drys my wife's hair  ;)!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 17:09:37 »
Hmmmm... ;D
Well in that case there may be a few new customs comming out soon... ;)

I just thought,
Couldn't you heat the arm before removing the hand,
And pull it out, widening the hole a little, but fix it when the new hand is in place?
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 17:16:05 »
Great technic Bill!!! Certainly worth trying with the hands... I use the hair drier for the items i washed but never thought about it like that...although it crossed my mind when i saw a spear bending from over heating....