Author Topic: Removable glue? Tips anyone?  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
Re: Removable glue? Tips anyone?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 20:26:06 »
Hmmm, Martin Milner recommended it for my camel saddles. Said it removed easily. Why do you think it is not a good idea?
It’ll remove from one or the other VERY easily. Too easily in fact- Like it never even grabbed on to begin with. The other my experience is it’ll hold tenaciously- You’ll eventually have to cut it off.
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 02:15:38 »
Hi

We use the gummy tack that was mentioned. I hated the blue color for so many years and finally found it in white. You should have your hands very clean when you use it as it looses it tackiness when dirty. It is cheep and easy to remove. Just do not use it on any cloth .

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 14:55:05 »
. . . I think I´m going to buy a warm glue gun snd try the tacky wax (interesting name).

I am glad you said "warm glue" Ali Baba - reading through this thread I was hoping that someone would distinguish between "hot" glue and "warm" glue.  Here is the U.S. anyway, "warm" glue is less permanent and less dangerous to fingers and delicate items.  The glue sticks (and glue gun) are smaller scale - "warm glue" is typically used for craft projects and you have to work fast because it cools rapidly.  On the other hand, "hot" glue is much more permanent (and much hotter!) and may damage delicate items (and fingers!) or melt some plastics.  It is typically used in heavier-duty applications. 

I think "warm" glue would work pretty well for temporary Playmobil displays, with some testing beforehand and caution during use.   :)
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 15:50:43 »
Thanks very very much everyone. I am certainly going to try out some methods!

I think I´m going to buy a warm glue gun snd try the tacky wax (interesting name).

Let me know if you have problems getting the tacky wax.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 16:11:30 »
I am glad you said "warm glue" Ali Baba - reading through this thread I was hoping that someone would distinguish between "hot" glue and "warm" glue.  Here is the U.S. anyway, "warm" glue is less permanent and less dangerous to fingers and delicate items.  The glue sticks (and glue gun) are smaller scale - "warm glue" is typically used for craft projects and you have to work fast because it cools rapidly.  On the other hand, "hot" glue is much more permanent (and much hotter!) and may damage delicate items (and fingers!) or melt some plastics.  It is typically used in heavier-duty applications. 

I think "warm" glue would work pretty well for temporary Playmobil displays, with some testing beforehand and caution during use.   :)

Thanks for the clarification Anne. I hadn't appreciated the difference.

I took a look at my gluegun and sticks, and the sticks mention high and low temperature applications. The gun is a small one, bought for about $4, and has no temperature control, just a handle to squeeze the glue out and a hole to shove the stick in. Not even an on/off switch, you just pull the plug out of the wall. That was the sort of thing I meant.

The glue gets hot enough to scald your skin if you are careless using it, but cools very quickly. Under no circumstances touch the heating element/nozzle when hot. It is very useful for fixing things you don't want to move again, but can also be used for temporary holds, if used sparingly.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 04:09:06 »
. . . The gun is a small one, bought for about $4, and has no temperature control, just a handle to squeeze the glue out and a hole to shove the stick in. Not even an on/off switch, you just pull the plug out of the wall. That was the sort of thing I meant.

That sounds to me like you have a "warm" glue gun (I have a couple of each type because I keep misplacing them, buying a new one, and then finding the one I lost!  ::) )  The "warm" glue sticks are about .5 cm or a quarter of an inch in diameter while the "hot" glue sticks are about twice that (the guns are usually bigger, too.)  "Warm" glue guns are usually found in a craft or fabric store while "hot" glue guns are more often found in a hardware/ home improvement type store.  A store like Target or Walmart probably has both types in different departments. 

There may be fancier versions that can do both "hot" and "warm" but I have the cheap ones, myself.   ;)

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 06:15:27 »
I hadn't appreciated the difference either. That is a good tip. I wanted a warm glue gun for other craft purposes anyway. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 11:59:54 »

(I have a couple of each type because I keep misplacing them, buying a new one, and then finding the one I lost!  ::)
Indianna, this sounds so much like me.  I always find what I am looking for once I have bought a replacement.   8}
Thank you so much for asking the question, Ali Baba.  A great topic, I am learning so much!  ;D
Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 14:47:43 »
 . . . A great topic, I am learning so much!  ;D  . . .
Hi Joe!  That's one of the things I love about Playmofriends!  Over the years I have learned so many great things, on such a variety of topics, from other folks here - it is a pleasure to share a bit of info, however small, in return.   :yup:   :)

Offline shirona33

• Playmo Lover
  • Tennessee Jack
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 09:22:13 »
To fix some parts at my buildings for St. Pölten I use Silicone caulk. It's perfect removeable. ;)

Always straight, always right!

The south will rise again!