Author Topic: THE BLACK PEARL (Pirates of the Caribbean) aka Playmobil 3286 / 3940 custom  (Read 33616 times)

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
I guess it depends on how you look at it.
The Dolphin and your Unicorn are two of the most impressive ships I have seen.
But bigger is not always better. ;)

I have seen some of the stuff on the German forums,
Mostly the custom ships of the member with the confederate avatar.
(I cannot remember his name! :doh: )
Maybe it is because I do not like the period of history as much as this. :)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
But bigger is not always better. ;)

That's certainly true! Considering just looks, Atto's "Black Pearl" is much more beautifull then some bigger-sized custom ships I've seen.
In a beauty-contest, the Black Pearl would certainly end up in the top 10.  :)

I have seen some of the stuff on the German forums,
Mostly the custom ships of the member with the confederate avatar.
(I cannot remember his name! :doh: )

There are several of these guys with condeferate avatars, I also sometimes have problems distinguishing between them. I guess you're referring to "Dixieman"?

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
That's certainly true! Considering just looks, Atto's "Black Pearl" is much more beautifull then some bigger-sized custom ships I've seen.
In a beauty-contest, the Black Pearl would certainly end up in the top 10.  :) ...

I'll go for that. ;)

...I guess you're referring to "Dixieman"?

Yes, that is him. :)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
thanks guys!

There are many things we can appreciate about each different custom.  Besides aesthetics, there is also ingenuity to consider, originality, craftsmanship, and technique, and labor to name a few.

Macgayver's Dolphin and Unicorn were indeed inspirational in my initial customizing ideas, not to mention his own Pirates of the Caribbean photostory series ala Playmobil.

Some of us customize using mostly or purely Playmobil parts only.  Others enhance our playmobil toys with parts from other in-scale brands or raw materials and parts. 
Sometimes we like to switch playmobil parts so we have a unique combination of playmoparts, almost  like an exclusive playmobil toy.

I'd say the ingenuity and labor of Macguyver's ships is outstanding indeed.  My ship may not be as extensive a mod as cutting and joining several hulls together into a huge huge multi-masted ship on a large scale, but believe me, I have a lot of micro detail that makes it noteable all on its own, even at a smaller scale of work.

I'm most proud of my functional rigging, actually.  There are literally dozens of lines strewn about the ship, and every single one of them has a functional purpose, be it to brace or provide support to the masts as standing rigging, to act as sheets to brace the yards aft or tacks to provide support forward....I have lines to hoist the jibbs and the staysails...lines to furl and unfurl each of the squaresails, and counter lines that are eased as others are made taut.  My sails are all lashed to the yards by hand...the clews are sewn in by hand as well....I devised a working pulley system for the lines to work on, using the real playmobil clews and blocks.  And I use the genuine playmobil belaying pins to secure the lines.

I love my custom sail plan, especially since the original masts and yards only accommodated one sail per mast....I was able to accommodate three sails per mast.

I like the mizzen mast with the lateen sail lashed to a genuine playmobil yard arm turned parallel to the ship's beam.  I had to design the attachment points for the mast base which took some ingenuity.

I like my faux cannon insert frame design and the skill it took to cut extra gunports and make them match the stock playmobil ones flawlessly.

I am proud of the research it took me by exploring many many different non-playmobil pirate ship toys to see which ones might have useable parts I could fit or modify extensively TO fit the 3286 hull which I did do a lot of hacking up on with dremel and hack saw.

Meticulous detail work went into planning the lighting system, from wiring plan, to installing the stern lights, soldering the micro-thin wires together at each wiring joint, and finding a place for the battery pack to reside (I had to cut and measure a lot).

The Black Pearl is heavily ornamented, but aside from the the purely-aesthetic purpose of the stern ornaments, all details of the ship are fully functional, not simply decorative.

And, on top of all that, I am very happy that this very realistic working model is still very play-with-able and can still interact with our beloved clickies as it was meant to be.

I love tallship models, but they are often static models that cannot float.  And despite the hundreds of hours it took for them to do the meticulous rigging, for all it is worth the model tallships' sails and rigging are fixed into position and cannot be adjusted, furled, or unfurled.

I am usually a very modest and humble sort of chap, but in this case, to toot my own horn, even I'd have to say: 

This is one awesome model/toy/custom!!!!  It is a labor of love, just as any of our customs are I'm sure.  Five years in the making.

My daughter asked me today if I would ever sell my ship.  If someone walked up to me right now and offered to buy it from me, I'd have a hard time parting with it.  I think I want to be buried with it, lol (just kidding....I want my daughter to keep it as a memory of me one day, and maybe pass it to her kids when they're old enough to take care of it too).

There are many many small details I can't even begin to list about the ship and all the thought and study it took for me to impliment them.

As far as "Greatest of all time" custom, lol..... to me, I'll just say I am very proud of it.  The other customs posted in the other pirate ship customs thread are very beautiful as well.  My number one favourite custom ship of all time?  Probably the Dolphin totally beats mine in sure grandiose wow factor wow wow wow. 

Of all the custom playmobil ships I've seen online so far, though, I'm not aware of any with similar levels of realistic functional micro detail as on the Pearl.   Sadly, a lot of the detail on my ship is lost to the eyes because the almost all-black scheme hides it all (along with its imperfections, lol).

I'm working on the queen anne's revenge next.  I already have an HMS Interceptor (Lady Washington).  If I do an HMS Suprise, I think I will use a 4290, or perhaps a combination of the two.

For my future plans, I want to do the HMS Victory in playmobil style using a Zizzle Black Pearl hull (non playmo) furnished with playmobil masts, yards, rigging, cannons, deck ornaments, longboats, gunport hatches, and of course clickies.

Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
...all details of the ship are fully functional, not simply decorative.

And that makes a HUGE difference in my book .
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Yes, I'll second that. Fully functional sails and rigging, having all those sails in the first place, functional lighting, such detailed decorative touches, the ability to float, and after all that it is still able to be played with... that is quite an achievement indeed. A lot of people can make great model ships, but to make a great toy ship that looks just as realistic as any model is really remarkable. Well done!!!! :wow: :wow: :wow:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
Yes, all the build-in functionality makes it completely different to all other custom-ships. On this topic, the "Black Pearl" is N° 1 !!  :)

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
great job  :hatoff:
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
I love it when people toot there own horn. When you do stuff like this you are entitled to Atto!

Can't wait to see your next works but for now I will come back to these pictures again and again :-)

Do you have a crew for her?