Author Topic: Medieval Football?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline JackLeftTown

• The Supreme Backward
  • Playmo Pal
  • Been a LONG time!
Medieval Football?
« on: April 08, 2022, 09:55:22 »
   As a child in the USA, I used to love playing videogames at the "Arcade". Even though I did not like to watch any sports, one of my favorite videogames was called "Pigskin 621 AD", which was a sports game set in ancient times that was a mishmash of Rugby and American Football. Each side has a 5 man Team and you basically have to get the ball over the opposing team's goal line on a field littered with trees, rocks & weapons. Each team could have warriors of many ancient types, knights, trolls, cavemen, beasts, etc...
   As a teen, I started getting into Tabletop Wargaming (sort of what got my interested in Playmobil in the first place) and the Warhammer Universe from Games Workshop. They had a game called "Blood Bowl" which is a violent turn-based Sports wargame set in medieval times that is pretty much a tabletop version of the Pigskin game!

As I was putting together my latest Playmobil set, one of the Dino Rise sets, I was snapping on the figures armor and noticed the helmet and armor kinda sorta looked like a football uniform and it hit me, we need... a Novelmore Sports Pitch playset with the appropriately colored Novelmore Knights VS the Burnham Raiders teams! Think about it, there's the regular team, there are are Star Players, Cheerleaders, Coaches and more! And they can come out with 5 Man Team Sets with special rules like the Violet Vale Vindicators (who can use magic on the field) and the Salahari Sands Slayers. The possibilities are endless!

As a backstory, we can say that the Time Wizard Timithor scours the timelines for the most able players to recruit for the League. This means he could import characters and concepts from all the non-licensed PM lines! So, you can have a Darkster Team, a Future Planet theme, etc... Finally, they can put out Uniform/Armor sets made for customizing your own team!

I think kids and adults alike would LOVE this because it wouldn't just be toys anymore! There would be a simple set of Gameplay rules and some Dice to roll for tackles, jumps and armor rolls. Playmobil can enter the Wargame genre (which you know MANY people use PM for)! Parents can play the game with the kids and kids could custom create teams to face each other.

What do you think?
JLT
Novelmore Enthusiast

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Medieval Football?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 10:39:47 »
I like the idea :)

As a backstory, we can say that the Time Wizard Timithor scours the timelines for the most able players to recruit for the League.

That is what Maximus did, right? 

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 18:26:32 »
Cool idea!  :rudy:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 20:27:52 »
I am not familiar with the Asterix comics, but wonder if they ever touched on sports in those?

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 22:08:26 »
I am not familiar with the Asterix comics, but wonder if they ever touched on sports in those?
They did. The Olympic Games appears in at least one story and another has a game of rugby.

Offline Basie10

• It's ok :)
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 23:41:16 »
The Olympic Games story was one of my favourites as a kid. In others books they have tossed cabers, raced chariots, gone mountain climbing, and even participated in a judo competition.  So plenty of scope.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 22:05:42 »
The caber tossing one is quite recent but I remember them racing the Greek runner from the Olympics story. Not sure how that plot would work today with people being sensitive to doping in sport. ;D

As a teen, I started getting into Tabletop Wargaming (sort of what got my interested in Playmobil in the first place)

I was looking for 40k figures in a toyshop one day when I saw a playmobil soldier with crossbow. I don't remember if I got any 40k stuff as well.