Author Topic: 3287 Knights' Jousting Tournament  (Read 17514 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
3287 Knights' Jousting Tournament
« on: September 10, 2007, 16:48:40 »

A great set to build a jousting tournament around.

You get two mounted knights with full caparisons on the horses, each with a blunt white lance, plus a weapon rack holding axes, maces, swords, and morning stars. A 3-part tilting fence makes sure the competitors charge at each other in a straight line. Two flagpoles fly two flags apiece, and hold a spare shield for use in the non-mounted competitions. I don't think these knight figures have been seen before in other sets. The white/gold knight has armour integral to the figure, while the green knight has clip-on armour.

So many knight figures have appeared in the Playmobil range over the years that a grand tournament could be staged with many different competitions and prizes. I've picked up a few to start my tournaments with (soon to be reviewed).

I'm working on a simple jousting dice-based game that will give varied results quickly, so a tournament can be staged in a couple of hours. two differently coloured dice (I'm using one red and one white die) give 36 possible outcomes. A skill factor will be built in for knights to gain experience by unhorsing their opponent, and possibly a penalty of some sort for dangerous jousting (i.e. hitting the opponent in the head). I'll post details when I have playtested the system.

My only complaint about this set would be the box cover picture - the competitors are on the wrong sides of the fence! They should be approaching with their left sides on the inside, as in my picture below - thus they protect themselves with their shields.

You can learn more about jousting here.

Finally, the jousters pose in front of Canterbury Cathedral.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 22:00:26 by Martin Milner »

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 3287 - Knights' Jousting Tournament
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 18:42:42 »
Nice review, Martin, and thank you.

The blunt jousting lances are a nice detailed touch, but shame about the error on the box.

I notice the shields are blank; is that standard for a tournament?

If you could mount the knights on an RC car chassis running under a baseboard, then you could have a proper tournament.

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 18:55:09 »
Very nice review. It is indeed a wonderfull set, allthough (IMHO) a poor second to this set:

(with thanks to Collectobil)

But still, it is a nice set and I am still wondering whether or not I should buy it ...

My only complaint about this set would be the box cover picture - the competitors are on the wrong sides of the fence! They should be approaching with their left sides on the inside, as in my picture below - thus they protect themselves with their shields.

You're probably right, Martin, but doesn't that mean that the lance has to go over the horse's neck? Sounds awkward to me. But then again, so does holding a shield over the horse's neck.

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 21:19:29 »
I notice the shields are blank; is that standard for a tournament?

I don't think so - it seems to be a cost-cutting measure by Playmobil. After all, the participants want the publicity. Here's a picture of modern jousting from "The Knights of Royal England" website clearly showing a painted shield and the relative position of the combatants at a joust. The lance goes over the horses neck.

OTOH, it does allow other knights to borrow the generic jousting shields when it's their turn at the lists.

Later on as jousting developed, the shield became incorporated into the left side of the armour, so it was all one unit.

The older jousting set 3652 certainly had more background interest - I guess it was time to release a new setand they wanted to keep it smaller. I have the trumpeter Klicky from that old jousting set, though not with his original trumpet or hat.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 15:00:23 »
I love the jousting sets, and don't have this one yet. Note that it's on the discontinued list. This is it's last year available in the International markets, it's gone from Germany already.
At this point I have 15 different jousting caparisoned horses and riders, and one more in parts on the way from DS hopefully. I still have to get the 2 in this set, the white one from add-ons - that also looks like it is being discontinued - and the Dragon knight one. So to my knowledge there are 19 different ones. I will post a photo of mine soon and if I am missing any perhaps someone could let me know. Thanks for the great review.  :)

Also - if you are interested - my illustrations of the jousting caparison types by Playmo is at this page. It's in my accessories section that I am seriously considering eliminating, I may keep a few information pages but it's a bit too much to keep up with and the need can be met through PlaymoDB.

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 15:31:59 »
Great review.  It looks like a nice set, heaped up with accessories.  I'm not fond of the new style of horse's headwear - they remind me of Clifford The Big Red Dog in his Halloween ghost costume but the new coats of arms are great.

Re: caparisons: I have 16 in the database - here they all are - and I know I'm missing the plain purple one in 3669 - Knight and the white one Tim mentioned from 7762 - Jousting Accessories. So I'm missing one as well and am quite curious!
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 15:59:21 »
Clifford The Big Red Dog in his Halloween ghost costume

LOL, I see what you mean! I didn't think they were all that either - Playmobil could have done some printing on them to jazz them up.

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 17:31:03 »
loved the background on the photo n. 4.
a great review martin, thank you.
:)
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 20:34:47 »
Woops I forgot about not having 30 63 0640 - Horse coat, long, scalloped hem, I need to remember to check eBay for that one. The two you are missing are the plain red and yellow pleated ones from 3265x - Jousting Knights Heather. If you wold like scans let me know.

So that makes a total of 20.

Pleated:
red
yellow
purple
black with white & red squares
yellow with castle heraldry

scalloped:
light blue with red geometrics from Royal Tent
white with swan heraldry
red with Fleur de Lis
red with rampant lion
red with new Lion head heraldry
black wolf clan
black with green dragon

slashed:
white unicorn
green geometric
black axe knight
purple/pink barbarian
yellow with shield & sword
white with blue & yellow shield
red dragon
yellow with black dragon
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 20:45:08 by Tiermann »

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 12:03:26 »
The two you are missing are the plain red and yellow pleated ones from 3265x - Jousting Knights Heather. If you wold like scans let me know.
Right you are, thanks Tim.  Yes, I'd love pics of the ones I'm missing, or for which I only have black-and-white instruction scans.  By the way, your diagram with the official names of all the different parts is very useful!
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!