Author Topic: Big plans at Playmobil: Manufacturer announces decisive changes in toys  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: Big plans at Playmobil: Manufacturer announces decisive changes in toys
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2022, 23:30:30 »
Are there any real pictures of the Anteater ?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2022, 01:59:11 »
Sigh ... back to the books for me for some all night studying on the proper names of animals ...

It's still cute though ;)

Not if you're an ant!  :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:27:34 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2022, 08:27:10 »
Sigh ... back to the books for me for some all night studying on the proper names of animals ...

It's still cute though ;)

I will go and polish my Pedant's badge!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2022, 13:04:43 »
I know you were joking (at least about the edible toys :lol:), but using plant-based plastics would be a good idea if it could be done effectively. What I mean by that is, of course, that it must be sustainable and capable of producing products of high quality. I've often wondered about what Playmobil would look like if these kinds of plastics were used, as it would make me feel much better about collecting it (if shown to be effective).
~Pynedor~

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2022, 13:12:22 »
I still think that toys that will last a few lifetimes are not the issue. Crappy ones are, the junk that has no use or doesn't last.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2022, 15:34:28 »
I still think that toys that will last a few lifetimes are not the issue. Crappy ones are, the junk that has no use or doesn't last.
[/quote

Yeah - the idea that plastic=bad isn't really very sound. Even single use plastics aren't automatically 'bad' for the environment: if all drinks bottles switched to glass, for example, then the massive increase in weight would hugely increase the carbon footprint of transporting it. Using plastic massively reduces food waste. The problem is recycling and disposal of plastics, which shouldn't be a problem for Playmobil.

Being able to replace plastic with something that is bio-degradable, or plant based, and has similar properties would be great - and hopefully it will happen. Plus they have discovered enzymes that eat plastics, so there is hope there.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2022, 19:24:51 »
I really do not understand most of the arguments about recycling.

I have been driving a car my father bought new when he was in college. It’s a 1965 Volvo 544.

Now how in the world is buying a car every few years to update some emission standards and fuel efficiency really helping saving the planet?

Also electric vehicles use power, the power needs to be created somewhere/somehow. The batteries do not last and most of all economically it makes no sense.

So In playmobil terms, it’s a toy that lasts generations. As Tahra mentioned , it’s the disposable crap that fills up the garbage bins.

Making high quality, generational toys out of decomposing products in my opinion is going in the wrong direction. From a business perspective, if the toy “melts away” and you have to buy more…. Great
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2022, 19:41:17 »
So In playmobil terms, it’s a toy that lasts generations. As Tahra mentioned , it’s the disposable crap that fills up the garbage bins.

Making high quality, generational toys out of decomposing products in my opinion is going in the wrong direction. From a business perspective, if the toy “melts away” and you have to buy more…. Great

^this.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2022, 19:44:41 »

I have been driving a car my father bought new when he was in college. It’s a 1965 Volvo 544.

Now how in the world is buying a car every few years to update some emission standards and fuel efficiency really helping saving the planet?

Also electric vehicles use power, the power needs to be created somewhere/somehow. The batteries do not last and most of all economically it makes no sense.

Things are not as simplistic as you suggest, Ras, but on your last point, who has suggested making a toy that just "melts away"?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2022, 22:11:01 »

People tend to focus on recycling because it's the easiest part which doesn't impact on their life at all. The mantra should be Reduce, Reuse, Recycle in that order. Ultimately, reducing consumption should be the aim but of course none of us want to do that - recycling should be a last resort.