Author Topic: Changes to UK DS ordering arrangements  (Read 2215 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Changes to UK DS ordering arrangements
« on: January 31, 2020, 16:41:51 »
Following a conversation with a member of staff at UK DS, it seems that only on-line orders can be accepted now for spare parts using the shipping cart/basket system.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
Re: Changes to UK DS ordering arrangements
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 00:28:31 »
Following a conversation with a member of staff at UK DS, it seems that only on-line orders can be accepted now for spare parts using the shipping cart/basket system.

:o

That´s... very bad news!
Possibly Brexit-related??
Did you ask about other countries? Or would it be a change with Direct Service UK only?
If it were to be a general change from Geobra for most or all DS parts orders, we´re screwed!

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 14:50:47 »
:o

That´s... very bad news!
Possibly Brexit-related??
Did you ask about other countries? Or would it be a change with Direct Service UK only?
If it were to be a general change from Geobra for most or all DS parts orders, we´re screwed!

I didn't ask a bout other countries, but going on playmobil.de and searching on  part number, when it comes up there is the price and the option to add it to your basket, that is the same as the UK site.

It seems that they have replaced the on-line order form (with a maximum of 10 items) and orders sent in by mail or email with a basket system, which should be a good thing.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 20:59:02 »
I didn't ask a bout other countries, but going on playmobil.de and searching on  part number, when it comes up there is the price and the option to add it to your basket, that is the same as the UK site.

It seems that they have replaced the on-line order form (with a maximum of 10 items) and orders sent in by mail or email with a basket system, which should be a good thing.

Ah, did I misunderstand you? So orders for parts that are not available to order online - but which are in stock - can still be ordered by sending them an email-order (or a letter) ?

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 09:20:59 »
Ah, did I misunderstand you? So orders for parts that are not available to order online - but which are in stock - can still be ordered by sending them an email-order (or a letter) ?

My understanding is that everything has to be done on-line now in the UK, in part (at least) because they have no means of accepting payment over the 'phone.  (Maybe you could send a cheque.)

But all parts available (including those from discontinued sets) seem to be capable of being ordered on-line.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 17:09:50 »
My understanding is that everything has to be done on-line now in the UK, in part (at least) because they have no means of accepting payment over the 'phone.  (Maybe you could send a cheque.)

But all parts available (including those from discontinued sets) seem to be capable of being ordered on-line.

If they won't take a card payment over the phone I'd be astonished if they would accept a cheque.

I think the problem is that (apparently) the UK DS would let you order figures, which you can't do through the online system?

(I've never ordered figures, but I have tried searching for them using the code and the system rejects it, though it does let you order 'discontinued' parts if they have them)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 10:08:55 »
I'm just about to do a UK DS parts order, including figures (which don't show up on 'Find Spare Parts', but which they did supply, until the end of last year at any rate). Until now, I have always sent a spreadsheet. A few years back, one of the staff told me they have to enter every part number manually on their system, even if it comes on a spreadsheet. Perhaps the online ordering system makes things more efficient for them, but I hope it doesn't limit what I can order compared with the last order.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 13:59:24 »
na, they still accept email orders and payment over the phone with your card details.. the last time i ordered was 18.12. dont think it changed.. but they wont take part numbers over the phone anymore.. its taking too much time unless u have an order quote already and ask nicely to add one more.. its all about to be nice and respectful. there always very very busy but all the people who work there are really friendly and helpful. i never had any issue...

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 14:38:28 »
na, they still accept email orders and payment over the phone with your card details.. the last time i ordered was 18.12. dont think it changed.. but they wont take part numbers over the phone anymore.. its taking too much time unless u have an order quote already and ask nicely to add one more.. its all about to be nice and respectful. there always very very busy but all the people who work there are really friendly and helpful. i never had any issue...

Well, Mike, I can only report what I was told over a year ago.  I ordered parts and catalogue items a number of times in 2020 always using the website out of politeness and respect for Direct Services policy without any problems, adding extra items I had thought of after placing the order when paying for it over the 'phone.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 17:33:00 »
I too have ordered parts several times in 2020, including figures. I always send in a spreadsheet and have never been told there was a more preferred method. I included a DS set with the last order and they processed it and I paid for it at the same time as the parts (by credit card, over the phone). It was shipped separately (and arrived in a few days, whereas the parts took much longer, but Christmas was in the middle).

I agree with what Mike said, being polite and respectful is a good approach as well as not expecting too much over the phone.
Maybe I should try the online system, playmofire, though I don't think that will work for klickies and it doesn't fit with the way I accumulate a list of wanted parts over several weeks.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)