Author Topic: Kirkbean 2015 - the Island Railway  (Read 13000 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Kirkbean 2015 - the Island Railway
« on: August 10, 2015, 20:50:32 »
Here are some photos of the Island Railway from this year's Kirkbean Playmobil Exhibition. As the approach is different from previous years, I'll explain the thinking behind it.

Each year since 2011 I've produced a different layout for Kirkbean, although with the exception of one year there have always been common features, notably steam trains and water, whether sea or rivers.  This year I decided to try and create a layout which could remain basically the same each year while allowing room for change, both detail changes, e.g. in scenes, and major changes by having islands which could be added to, altered in shape etc.  So the Island Railway came into existence and worked fairly successfully.

One change compared with last year, when there was a figure-of-eight layout, was a return to a basically oval layout.  As I explained then, the idea was the theory that a figure-of-eight layout gave more movement and, therefore, more interest for viewers, children and adults alike.  Watching people last year, this certainly seemed to be the case and, interestingly, a conversation I overheard between two ladies this year confirmed that the figure-of-eight with its twists and turns was more interesting, as one said to the other, "The train was dashing about much more last year".  Now, in fact, this wasn't so as the maximum speed I run at is always the same, so the train last year simply appeared to be more "active"and, obviously, more interesting.  An island layout with a figure-of-eight or similar layout may be a possibility in 2016.

Now, some general, overall pictures, followed by detailed photos later in the week.

First, a diagonal view with Island Farm in the foreground and Diane in the far distance:

Moving round, Farm Bridge is in the foreground with, on the left, Farm Island with Holiday Island beyond that and the Castle station and the castle itself beyond.  On the right, is the Country Park with the harbour and station area beyond:

Here's a closer view of Farm Island, and then one of the Country Park:

So the post doesn't get too long, I'll start another post now.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Kirkbean 2015 - the Island Railway
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 20:58:04 »
Now, a view of the harbour and the rear of the station area beyond it:

A front view of the goods yard and unloading area for the harbour, and then a driver's eye view of the station, looking towards the goods yard:

Finally for this post, a view looking down the layout towards Farm Island, showing the town area and the castle and the rear of Holiday Island:

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 21:02:42 »
We're on the last lap of our aerial journey now as we travel down the other side of the layout with a view of the Castle and the Castle Station, suitably decorated with battlements:

Next stop is Holiday Island, looking back towards the Castle Station:

And we end our flight back at Island Farm:

Thank you for your time, and I will post some more detail photos later in the week.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 00:38:46 »
Great layout Gordon. Very interesting with the castle and castle themed station. It's a great design on he castle ruins, very authentic looking. nice use of the barn doors for the warehouse area as well.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 02:08:09 »
That is a well cool diorama. You can even tell which way the wind is blowing due to the sailboat leaning over!
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 06:10:58 »

Very professional looking display, Gordon!
Be interested to know the dimensions of your table.
You seem to have made excellent use of your space.
The Island Railway concept is brilliant!
Thanks for sharing.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 06:19:27 »
Great layout Gordon. Very interesting with the castle and castle themed station. It's a great design on he castle ruins, very authentic looking. nice use of the barn doors for the warehouse area as well.

Thank you, Tim.

The concept of the castle on an island is based on Castle Threave which we visited last year and is not far from Kirkbean.  (http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places/propertyresults/propertyabout.htm?PropID=PL_288&PropName=Threave%20Castle)

In the UK, castle-like stations were not uncommon, especially where they were the private station for the local castle owner.

The barn doors are very useful, you see there only a small part of my supply!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:26:41 by playmofire »

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 06:21:47 »
That is a well cool diorama. You can even tell which way the wind is blowing due to the sailboat leaning over!

Thank you, Macruran.  The winds can be very tricky in that area of the water, especially since the modern holiday house has been built on Holiday Island, as that and the now castle now act as a funnel for the wind.  The rescue boat can be very busy in squally weather.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 06:25:00 »
Very professional looking display, Gordon!
Be interested to know the dimensions of your table.
You seem to have made excellent use of your space.
The Island Railway concept is brilliant!
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, Richard.

The table was 8 feet by 16 feet.  Because of the size and complexity of the layout, I'd never had the time or space to set it up at home, so that it worked at all was a surprise!  Next year, I am thinking of using octagonal pieces which can be put together in different shapes for the islands.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 07:06:18 »
Gordon, thank you!

Looking at your photos, 8 x 16 seems to be a really good size for an indoor layout.
If the calculations are correct, the middle of your table should be about 4 feet from the side edges.
Have you found that it's difficult at all for you to reach the middle of the table?