Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Brainstorming For Playmobil / Re: What's wrong with Playmobil? 2
« Last post by Tiermann on Today at 15:22:35 »
The PCC had some great long term benefits. The parts ordering system at the European sites is the result of the initial meetings with the collectors setting up the club. Making part ordering easier was a top priority and it is still there, though less effective compared to a couple of years ago. Online availability of the instruction sheets was also a result. The issue at the time of the club was that Playmobil management didn't understand the resource they had in the collectors or how to take advantage of it. We as a community know more about the history and possibilities of their product than most of their management does.

The real issues the company has are the result of HOB doing a bab job of succession management. He didn't understand that making radical changes in the upper structure of management would destabilize the company and lead to erosion to the point of possible collapse. The company went for most of its life with a strict heirarchical structure with one leader having a final say, to a diffuse structure with a three person committee trying to lead things and a board dominated by someone with limited understanding of the things that made the company successful. Coupling all that with the changing face of the toy industry as a whole has been disastrous.

To end on a positive note, they are focusing on smaller sets this year and doing a good job of packing in play value. I have been very happy with the smaller sets this year.
News / Re: Not Quite Playmobil News
« Last post by JPSA on Today at 13:38:48 »
I find that piece almost impossible to understand.  ???

Yes, it is very hard to understand, due to the oddball style and subject matter.  I believe the editorialist is mocking the current prime minister of Lebanon, Najib Mikati — "Mikou" — by likening him to a 'playmobil', meaning a straw man ( aka a 'non-player character', or npc ), who got his position by being obsequious to one Istiz Nabeuh, an old senator who's pulling the strings, apparently.  The title, "Chefs Playmobil", hints that the PM isn't the first puppet political leader, parading around, the country has known — as confirmed later in the article.
« Last post by playmofire on Today at 13:26:59 »
I think that a Chinese company should just start making Playmobil with out permission from Branstater Company. If the Chinese manufacturers just employ high quality injection tech, use quality ingredients, I’m more than sure they can make the durability just as good

Seeing as the EU is bending laws, it’s a win for fans and will bring down prices . Then collectors might get all the Asian themes they’ve been clamoring about

For a short time, Playmobil did have some things produced in China.  One of these was a free, special 25th anniversary torch to go with a set and it was an absolute disaster as the torches didn't work.  There were problems, too, with other items produced for them there.
« Last post by Macruran on Today at 03:06:42 »
I find that piece almost impossible to understand.  ???
« Last post by Klickteryx on Today at 00:53:54 »

There’s actually quite a few that happened well after the PCC disintegrated
I'm not suggesting the PCC was some ray of light for collectors, just that it was poorly handled. That they've gone on to offer collector based sets is the way forward. I don't collect minifigs so can't price compare but it seems that the franchise figures like Asterix and the bug one are quite expensive and I wonder if they will sell that well given the price. Anyone know how pricing compares with equivalent lego themes?
« Last post by Klickteryx on Today at 00:48:37 »
I don't really think that's accurate. What service it was meant to provide, I've never quite understood. But the simple fact is, without the Collectors Club in place we have more sets aimed at the 'adult' market than ever.
Two different things. The failure of the club is an example of failure of playmobil management in keeping it viable. The things the members were interested in just weren't what the company was interested in providing. They re-released some steck sets as part of the add-ons catalogue which was great but the add-ons wasn't available for much of the world. That similar sets with new figures have since been made available is excellent and I think the nostalgia car market is also a good idea but unfortunately these ideas have come at a time of global belt tightening.
« Last post by JLMatterer on Today at 00:38:16 »
« Last post by Rasputin on Today at 00:31:33 »
I think that a Chinese company should just start making Playmobil with out permission from Branstater Company. If the Chinese manufacturers just employ high quality injection tech, use quality ingredients, I’m more than sure they can make the durability just as good

Seeing as the EU is bending laws, it’s a win for fans and will bring down prices . Then collectors might get all the Asian themes they’ve been clamoring about
News / Re: Playmobil in the News
« Last post by JLMatterer on April 18, 2024, 23:04:13 »

« Last post by Rasputin on April 18, 2024, 20:41:55 »
That’s one of the problems of being a fan and thinking “I know what’s best”

When a person is looking in from the outside they have no perspective at to why certain decisions are made. We don’t know actual sales figures and Playmobil isn’t about to share them. We don’t know if a historic theme was a success or a total flop. We have our preferences  but are they realistic at turning a profit .

Playmobil recently has been hit with a 1,2,3 punch

Lost its leader
Brick and mortar shelf exposure (on the web you have to search for it by name)
Economic downturn

They bet on licensing but then again the collectors have no idea if it panned out on the books
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10