Creative > How-To

3880 Fire truck - cabine roof?

(1/2) > >>

Little Jo:
Within my activities in setting up a small fire brigade I just was glad to get my hands on a 3880 fire truck MIB (a very nice vehicle I must say). Unpackaging and putting all the pieces together I recognized, that there was a missing roof for the driver's cabin. First searching for it and then looking more closely to the plan and the box pictures I must admit, there isn't one available and even not depicted at all!

Has anybody a solution for this, maybe a customizing/reuse of another part? The missing roof looks quite strange for me.

(Just in advance: the 3182 fire truck with ladder hasn't a cabine roof also; any ideas for this too?)

p.s.: Haven't done so far, but must have a closer look to Tim_w's customized trucks, if there is a solution for this.  ;)

playmofire:
I've often thought about this, Jo.  At first, the answer seems to be just a flat piece of plastic to go over the cab, resting on the top frame of the windows at either side, the ledge at the rear and the top of the windscreen and held in place by a right angled piece of plastic on either side projecting down the inside of the top of the window frame.  However, when you have the crew in place you realise that their helmets project slightly above the top of the window frame so the roof piece needs raising by "spacers" at the edges, but not so high as to obscure the blue warning lights.

Hope this explanation is clear, I'll try and do some pics tomorrow.

Tim_w:
Hello  Little Jo  :)

I have not really thought about this in too much detail myself. I have considered adding a roof to one of my heavy truck conversions because it looks strange without onehttp://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=235.0.
I think Gordon's idea about making your own roof sounds the best way to solve the problem. Infact if i get chance over the next few days i might have a go at coming up with a prototype roof for the 3880.

Kindest Regards  Tim  :)9

playmofire:
Here'sa crude sketch of what I had in mind, though modified slightly in that instead of an angle piece to hold the roof in place there is just a vertical.

The left hand side shows the pieces assembled andf the right hand side is an unassembled view.

Little Jo:
Ah, I understand. Thank you Gordon. This should work.

I'm still thinking about the right material to make the roof from, because I want it with a slight curvature to looks as it has been disigned directly from Playmobil  ;)
Maybe balsa wood me be an option. I have to make some tries ... and for sure will let you know the results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version