Author Topic: Romans lay siege to German town  (Read 15699 times)

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Romans lay siege to German town
« on: August 18, 2008, 01:08:56 »
The setting is the troubles in Germany during Marcus Aurelius's reign
The backstory: A German community on the Rhine has massacred the garrison of the local fortlet and taken it up as a base for looting the frontier towns of the empire.  A Roman legion has been scrapped together to take the castle back.  After two weeks of siege, when the Romans begin pushing the siege towers toward the front gate, the Germans, under the leadership of a chieftain (and former Roman auxiliary) named Chlodomir, panic and sally out in a suicidal rush.

Here we have a full view of the battle.  The legate, a tribune, and his guards are in the lower left.   

[Note: This is image one of 7; I'm having network problems and doing this one slide at a time]

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Re: Romans lay siege to German town
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 01:18:23 »
Here we have a view of the artillery, protected by an auxiliary unit of Macedonian spearmen

Here is a closer shot of the Macedonians.  The Ethiopian skirmisher troops are running for their lives, caught by surprise by Clodomir's cavalry charge.  Chlodomir is leading a mixed unit of horsemen and infantry.  Note that a lot of the infantry aren't well armored, or even armored at all.  Germania appears to have been short of iron, or mining industry, and the Germans tended to go into battle substantially less equipped (except for the chiefs and their chosen) than did the Gauls.  Note: the horseman with the beaked club is supposed to be carrying a signal horn...  :hmm:

Another vantage...

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:26:08 »
Unfortunately, here is the uglier side of war.  The woman are cheering for their menfolk.  Their survival depends on it.  Many of the women are armed, to do what they can when worst comes to worst.

Though I sympathized with the Romans as I arranged the display, the reality is that after Chlodomir's sally fails, the Romans will storm the fort, and probably massacre every woman and child (enslave them if they are "lucky").  The male survivors will probably be massacred, or less likely enslaved or shipped to the nearest arena.

Er, ignore the goats and Dalmations in the background.  They are "artifacts" from another display...

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 01:41:04 »
Moving toward the opposite flank.

Here we have Chlodomir's cousin Wiglaf leading an infantry charge against the legionnaires.

NOTE: there really ought to be a lot more bodies on the field and in the formations.  I was picky about the look of the klickies I fielded and hit a serious manpower shortage.  PS.  I dedicate this scene to Mike, and his 1,000 klicky cinematic ambition.

The German infantry are charging the Romans in a wedge formation.  We tend to associate "wedge formations" with cavalry, but according to the Osprey books I've been reading, the historical wedge was an infantry formation that probably occurred naturally.  The chief and his best warriors formed the first rank, with the lesser warriors with poorer morale and equipment following.  As the charge moved forward, the chief would race ahead to show his mettle while his chosen kept abreast or fell slightly behind so as not to up-show him.  The farther from the chief, the less motivated were the men, and the formation fanned out, taking on a wedge-like shape.

Once the forces collided, the fight degenerated into a shoving match, much like a rugby scrum or football scrimmage.  The front ranks smashed shields together, getting cheap sword shots when possible.  The ranks behind the front pushed their brothers forward, adding mass to their side.  The side that lost heart or became exhausted first bolted.
The optio in the rear possibly served the dual purpose of keeping the back row pressing forward on their brothers.  I elected to only have the first row of Romans baring drawn swords and made the assumption the rear rows would not draw the weapons until contact--might they otherwise stab their peers?  And short sword is useless except in the front.

Here you see a close up of the shoving match. 

Final note: the shoving match added to the tactical advantage of the Roman's pilum (javelin) volley that pinned down enemy shields and forced them to be dropped.  Without a shield, a warrior would have to throw his body against the enemy shield, and if not pulverized by that, would be prey to the sword jabs.

[This is the end of the picture show]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:48:15 by Timotheos »

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 02:57:54 »
Great photos!  Nicely done set piece, it is nice to have enough figures and scenery to adjust your layout just the way you want. Thank you for sharing!

Gepetto

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 04:43:40 »
The setting is the troubles in Germany during Marcus Aurelius's reign
The backstory: A German community on the Rhine has massacred the garrison of the local fortlet and taken it up as a base for looting the frontier towns of the empire.  A Roman legion has been scrapped together to take the castle back.  After two weeks of siege, when the Romans begin pushing the siege towers toward the front gate, the Germans, under the leadership of a chieftain (and former Roman auxiliary) named Chlodomir, panic and sally out in a suicidal rush.

Wow! It was long ago that I read The Lord of the Rings, so I can't tell whether it's R. Tolkien's or P. Jackson's (movie producer/director) idea, but it does sound like the Battle of Hornsdeep ...

I tend to believe better in the hypothesis that it was R. Tolkien's knowledge of history that may have (maybe even unconsciously) made a battle a bit alike, for I believe that writer did read the Classics, but, according to one Law teacher (to thom I taught some Latin, a long time ago*) "a hypothesis can't be deffended as true, until you have material proof to confirm it or refute it" ...

*A long time ago, for a guy of 30 is about five or six years ago ... But it was something I hope I'll never forget! :)

ON THE SIEGE WORK

Magnificent work, Tim!!! I'm still in the beginning of the reading, so, maybe I'll may post something else, after having read it all (if I don't, it's because I have no complaints, which I think will happen :) ), but only by taking a look at the pictures, it's very interesting to see how you did something so big (and even not that big, but very ... cosy! :yup: ... I loved the steps under the green carpet, as well as the river cut by stones ...) & so very appealing!

I think it's appealing (at least to me) for being very realistic (to my eyes).

I make things into a small theatre ; you do great Hollywood-like productions (in the "good old times" :P before computer subsituted extras :hmm: ...), like Ben Hur :yup:, or even The Fall of the Roman Empire :yup: (not sure this is the title of the movie in English ... I'll check it up, but not today ... It's late, and I HAVE to read your work on this, before going to bed ... :) )

Gus
:blackhair:
Gus
:blackhair:

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 06:32:26 »
An excellently told and well-photographed photostory, Tim.  I enjoyed it very much.  Your commentary is informative and really helps a greater appreciation of what is going on.  I like the way you've got contours on the table, too, it makes it all the more realistic.

Many thanks and look forward to more.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 07:10:17 »
J.R.R. Tolkien... Helm's Deep.

Very nice set up Tim, I'm hoping to do similar battles in time.

Should the Centurions be in the centre of their formations? I understood they always fought on the right hand end of their century, the exposed end because they don't have their right side covered by a neighbour's shield.

Also would the standard be exposed in the front line, or would the standard bearer be sheilded somewhat? I know the rate of casualties amongst the standard bearers was high, so they may well be in the line, possibly right next to the Centurion.

You've assembled an impressive amount of steck!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:33:36 by Martin Milner »

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:40:18 »
Should the Centurions be in the centre of their formations? I understood they always fought on the right hand end of their century, the exposed end because they don't have their right side covered by a neighbour's shield.

Also would the standard be exposed in the front line, or would the standard bearer be sheilded somewhat? I know the rate of casualties amongst the standard bearers was high, so they may well be in the line, possibly right next to the Centurion.

Hey Martin

You're probably right about the centurion being on the right.

I'm pretty confident (though not certain) the standard bearer was in the front rank.  I'm basing most of that off of Caesar's Gallic War, in which the standard bearer, to motivate the troops, jumps off the ship and storms for the beach (invasion of Britain).  The signifier was similar to what we'd think of as a non-commissioned officer, and I was presuming he was appointed to signifier on account of being a hard-charging example to the rest.  With the standard in the front row, it would have visually given observers the unit's state of affairs in the melee while also giving soldiers a challenge to fight for. 

But, that's just me guessing.

Actually, something else I considered (another rebuke to me putting centurion in the center)--

Since the standard bearer and the centurion were both motivators for the rest of the men, it would make sense to have the two spaced out in the front line.  An anecdote I've picked up from my readings is the idea (contested) that a few aggressive men made-or-broke the melee, with the other guys just "tagging along".  (Think of the person at work who puts in 60 hour weeks and knows everything while everybody else stops at 40 hours and aren't terribly efficient).

Caesar's Gallic Wars provides some amusing anecdotes of his best centurions.  Two centurions were in competition with each other to scale the wall of a Gallic city first.  Later on they competed for the number of Gauls killed in line fighting with a lot of boasting and name-calling between each other.  Later on they both took it... guess you can't play the odds forever...

Back on the subject of a few ferocious men driving the battle--
I've read an anecdote about a man hurtling himself onto a packed mass of Gauls and stabbing heads.  When you consider the average guy is more or less rational, wanting to get paid and make a day of it, the super-jocks in the line, half-mad, must have made a real difference.

Again, though, this is all just arm-chair speculation.  It's "unfortunate" that neither I nor 99.99% of the historians have ever been in a toe-to-toe line melee!  A general consensus, though, is that stamina made a big difference.  And, the Romans' ability to rotate fresh men in is what turned the tables in the battles against Germans and Gauls, who fought in waves, retired for a break, then rushed again (or called ceasefire).  The Romans didn't allow them that break, but pursued, turning it into a rout.   

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 10:45:37 »
I need to study those Roman battle tactics again. I'm sure I had a book about this when I was younger, but am having trouble re-locating the title.

The Macedonian Phalanx had several rows of men, each carrying a pike, so that about five metal tips stuck out in front of the front row. The remaining rows had their pikes elevated, which helped break the fall of missiles from above. Unfortunately if an enemy soemhow got past those pikes, the soldiers were more vulnerable, though they did have a sword and the big round shield.

The Romans, as I understand it, threw their pila before the clash and as you've shown, used their short swords to stab through gaps in the shield wall. What did the rows behind do, apart from step forward to replace a fallen comrade? Could a tired man step back and allow another to take his place? Probably not, it would be too risky in the melee, even if it was allowed.