Author Topic: 3D printing. Don't wait for Geobra to make your dream parts!  (Read 43211 times)

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
Re: 3D printing. Don't wait for Geobra to make your dream parts!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 14:04:16 »
Your suggestions are welcome my friend!
Life in the so called space age...

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 15:07:18 »
First the Mirmillo helmet for the Thracian Gladiator:

WANT.  :love:

Are you taking orders? ;)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 15:11:52 »
Cool. I've heard of 3d printers, but I didn't know that there were any that took orders.

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 15:24:30 »
WANT.  :love:

Are you taking orders? ;)

:) not yet. But soon, Tahra.  ;)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 15:33:42 »
:) not yet. But soon, Tahra.  ;)

Feel free to post/email details ;)

:wow:

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 15:58:07 »
WOW.  Really great customs! :wow:

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 17:23:49 »
Nice helmets! 

I have been seriously looking into getting  a printer, for myriad custom projects (STECK, STECK, STECK!), But the price is holding me back yet.  (It's hard to be thrifty AND an early adapter...)  Especially on the larger printers needed to make building parts.  :(

My understanding is that other color input plastic is easily available.  So, if you ever want to crank out helmets by the batch, you could create them, say,  in grey.  Is that right?

Have you already sanded the helmets in the pix you posted?  I can see the tiny ridges on some of them, but they are VERY slight.  I was expecting less resolution (?)  from the examples I'd seen.  Output objects online mostly looked like  90's era video game images, with lots of "bumps".  If your prototypes are not sanded, I am very impressed with  your printer's quality. 

Very cool stuff.  Keep on designing!

doug

Offline Hallensis

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 19:36:12 »
These are beautiful, very interested in the gladiator helmets. You may add my name to the list please  ;D
Great work !! :)9

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 20:00:35 »
@ Panos: you send the 3D design by email, like a Photoshop file. Then the printing process goes like this: inside a "drawer" full of plastic powder two laser beams heat the plastic on each voxel of your design so it melts and hardens in place. When the printing is done, they remove the unused powder and retrieve the parts.

Thank you for the details, Arnaud!!!

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 20:19:35 »
Nice helmets! 

I have been seriously looking into getting  a printer, for myriad custom projects (STECK, STECK, STECK!), But the price is holding me back yet.  (It's hard to be thrifty AND an early adapter...)  Especially on the larger printers needed to make building parts.  :(

My understanding is that other color input plastic is easily available.  So, if you ever want to crank out helmets by the batch, you could create them, say,  in grey.  Is that right?

Have you already sanded the helmets in the pix you posted?  I can see the tiny ridges on some of them, but they are VERY slight.  I was expecting less resolution (?)  from the examples I'd seen.  Output objects online mostly looked like  90's era video game images, with lots of "bumps".  If your prototypes are not sanded, I am very impressed with  your printer's quality. 

Very cool stuff.  Keep on designing!

doug

Hey Doug.
On the pictures, the parts were not sanded. The small squares that appear on the Mirmillon helmet are due to the design itself. I have used a very simple software in which you create a design by adding basic shapes. I think that with Silo or 3D studio you can get better results, but they're both complicated for a beginner like me.
When I have all my master models sanded I will make resin casts. A 3D printed helmet costs about 6-8€, can't create a whole army with these, I reckon.
A.