Author Topic: GrUmpy & Grumpier old men!  (Read 9233 times)

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
Re: GrUmpy & Grumpier old men!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 16:57:13 »
I've got my AARP membership number because of my loving wife! I remember the Beatles cartoon that was on TV long ago, or Hey! Hey! We're the Monkees? or how about the Banana Splits, Space Ghost?! Hooray for the Geritol crowd!

Before I forget, I've been wanting to tell you I love your new avatar!  It's great!

I thought you had to be 55 to join AARP.  They sent me an invitation to join, but I threw it away.  I wanted to tell them "I'm not dead, yet!"

I remember all those shows!  Especially the Banana Splits!  My favorite was Drooper the lion.  Do you remember the live action serial they had called, I think, "Danger Island" with the skeleton men and Chongo (as in "Uh oh, Chongo!).  I forgot the overall plot, but I remember these two elements.  And the blond chick.

Oh, and Land of the Lost!  Loved that show.  Cheap special effects, but for that time, they were pretty good.  "Marshall, Will, and Holly, on a routine expedition, met the greatest earthquake ever known..."
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 17:02:45 »
Okay kids, here we go!  Sky King! Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Bullet and Nellybelle! Winchell Mahoney and Billy Barty (probably just local in CA), Captain Kangaroo and Diver Dan! Back in the days of Black and White. It scares me to be able to remember such things. :o

Gepetto

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 17:23:14 »
The Turtles, Steppen Wolf,.....Dragnet, EMERGENCY, Adam 12, The Doctors, SWAT, The Rookies, UFO, The Mod Squad, Sonny & Cher  :lol:!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 17:33:54 »
The Turtles, Steppen Wolf,.....Dragnet, EMERGENCY, Adam 12, The Doctors, SWAT, The Rookies, UFO, The Mod Squad, Sonny & Cher  :lol:!

I loved those shows!  Now that you mention Adam-12, I always think of that show whenever Martin Milner posts something, because one of the actors on Adam-12 was named Martin Milner!

The Wild, Wild West, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, The Rifleman...
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 17:43:33 »
What was the name of the WWII PT boat show,...The wackiest ship in the Navy  ???? OHHHHH  >:( Where's my Ginseng? & the secret agent show with the blonde, & dark haired guys? & Get Smart! Land of the Giants....
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 18:01:09 »
GI Joe, Hot Wheels, Match box .....while I'm on the toy subject, does any one remember the toy M-16 that Mattell sold that resembled the actual M-16 rifle so much due to anti war campaigns they stopped producing them? I had one, & I remember you could pull the sound lever up to 40 times for constant machine gun firing sound? That thing was awesome!

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 18:34:53 »
What was the name of the WWII PT boat show,...The wackiest ship in the Navy  ???? OHHHHH  >:( Where's my Ginseng? & the secret agent show with the blonde, & dark haired guys? & Get Smart! Land of the Giants....

McHale's Navy!

I don't remember the secret agent show you describe.  The secret agent shows I remember are Get Smart, The Man From Uncle, The Avengers (Diana Rigg!), and I Spy.

I had one of those M-16s.  Great sounds.  It was cool.  Unfortunately, I played too roughly with it and broke it the first day.  My father wouldn't get me another one.  Something about "if you can't take care of your toys..." or some such nonsense.

Oooohh, I used to have a set of those Hot Wheel race tracks!  It came with a plastic C-clamp which you would attach to the back of a chair and then connect the tracks to.  Fun stuff!

F-Troop, Gilligan's Island, Green Acres, The Adam's Family...
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 19:10:48 »
That's it! Man From U.N.C.L.E.! The Hot Wheels dual track with the loops, & drop finish gates? The Snake & Mongoose rail dragsters that could be locked in to the wheelie position, & what about the Hot Wheels oval track with the super charger building  :love:? I remember some kind of gas pump shaped charger, but I don't remember anything else about it.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 19:30:37 »

Old? you "kids" don't know what "old" is!

I used to rush home from school to LISTEN to Sgt. Preston on the radio. Why the radio? Because, believe it or not, back in 1946 only a few people had one of those huge black and white TV sets with their tiny 10 inch screens.

And, this is what was on nighttime TV in 1946 (There was NO daytime TV.):

In the United States, only the DuMont Network and NBC were broadcasting in the evening in 1946. DuMont ran a Western movie on Sunday night for an hour, other programming for an hour on Tuesday, and half hours on Wednesday and Thursday nights. NBC ran an hour of programming on Sunday, two hours on Thursday, and the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports on Monday and Friday nights, with an additional hour on Fridays.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 19:42:45 »

Old? you "kids" don't know what "old" is!
I used to rush home from school to LISTEN to Sgt. Preston on the radio. Why the radio? Because, believe it or not, back in 1946 only a few people had one of those huge black and white TV sets with their tiny 10 inch screens.
And, this is what was on nighttime TV in 1946 (There was NO daytime TV.):

In the United States, only the DuMont Network and NBC were broadcasting in the evening in 1946. DuMont ran a Western movie on Sunday night for an hour, other programming for an hour on Tuesday, and half hours on Wednesday and Thursday nights. NBC ran an hour of programming on Sunday, two hours on Thursday, and the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports on Monday and Friday nights, with an additional hour on Fridays.

Old? Hell, that's ancient  :lol:! Just kidding, I remember my grandfather talking about those days!