Author Topic: Santa gave me "Shopping for Customizing Supplies" ~Please help me spend my $$  (Read 11621 times)

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
Hi All,

Santa gave me a $50 gift certificate to the local arts and crafts store (as I'd been bugging him about needing customizing supplies.).  ;D

Here is a link to the local chain store: Michael's The Arts and Crafts Store

Sooo....where do I begin. So far I have 000 and 001 (?) paint brushes, enamel paints, and possibly a dremel on my wish list. But I'd love to hear from you expert customizers as to what you see as "must have" items. 

Many thanks,

Diana (beginning customizer)
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Oooo I love Michaels  :-*

If you don't have them yet then I would suggest rather than just the 000 and 001 that you look for a set of nylon (white or red) small brushes. Sometimes you can find sets that have varying sizes and widths for a better price than individual brushes. Also - don't be afraid to buy the "craft" type brushes - the ones they display with Tole Painting things for instance are just as good for these purposes as expensive "artisits" brushes. 

You are going to want some acrylic medium if you don't already have it. I recommend both glossy and flat/matte types. There are uses for both, and I have found that I actually like the sheen I get from one layer of glossy covered by a layer of matte. That seems to approximate the shine of Playmo plastic better than just one or the other.  The medium is used put on over the top of your final paint coat - it dries clear - but be aware that it can lift up color that isn't fully dry - or color from an ink jet printer.

Paints - I have expensive artist acrylics that I use, but I also use the less expensive craft paints. If you are interested in acrylics check out the racks for Windsor & Newton or Shiva artista acrylics for unusual or specialty colors. The gold I used on my nobleman is fantastic and matches Playmo gold very well - it is a Windsor color I believe. Also check the craft paints for basic colors including black and white. There are some fun craft paints such as glitter, irridescent, and glow in the dark also. All of this applies to acrylics only - you will have a harder time finding enamels there - though there should be some.

X-acto knives - they  carry them and if you don't already have an assortment I recommend you look at them. Of particular use to me are the finer chisel point flats for cutting out printed designs to applique on, and the small saw blades. They have a larger saw blade and Mitre box that I have used for bigger things, but they also make small saw blades that fit in a standard x-acto knife handle that are great for cutting smaller items. (also good for detail work on jack-o-lanterns)

Paper - check out the artist papers for colors you like. I use the large sheet artist paper in a mid-dark grey for the background of all my photos for Animobil. I find it works better than white or black since the contrast doesn't mess with the digital camera's light sensor so much and I get more accurate color with less fixing needed afterwards.

They carry a zillion different specialty papers for scrapbooking. Look for ones that would make nice backgrounds or wallpaper for structures.

Beads - there is a big bead section - you might take a look if the Simon42 style has ever appealed to you.

There are also more obscure things like gold leaf available.

Just a few things off the top of my head. :)

Offline matchboxluc

• custom master
  • Playmo Lover
  • seventies lover
In my experience enamel paint is better than acrylics regarding spreading out and durability.  The thin brushes are fine; you may find it useful to have a few flat brushes as well for larger areas. X-acto knives are very versatile with lots of blades; I usually have the sharp pointed blade (or balsa blade, I think it's no. 21).
A small vise can be useful too when drilling holes, a set of needle files, some fine abrasive paper (waterproof, grade 600, 800 or 1000) and polyurethane adhesive for glueing Playmoplastic (sand the surfaces first for better adhesion; the glue needs several hours to set, but it works).
A customizers toolbox has usually quite a lot of tools. ;)
phantasy is in the mind, realisation is in my hands!

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
I also recommend the x-acto knives ... I use mine for everything.  Try to remember where you keep it though, I've stabbed myself a time or two, not paying attention when I was looking for a detail pen.

I really like my paint pens.  Easier to use than a brush at times (unless your Jean Luc, of course  ;) )  You can get a decent fine line with one after a few minutes of practice.  You don't want the ones you'll find in the scrapbooking section ... I usually have to ask where they have them. 

A gold leafing pen is great, too
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Zona saws if they sell them are useful for fine cutting.  For cutting thick plastic sheets, Ofra do a good knife.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
Thanks for the suggestions! Michael's has a coupon in our Sunday paper most weeks for 40% off one item...so I will wait and use that for one of the pricier items. A saw would be nice as I don't think I have anything that can cut a klicky. Also a vice grip, paints, brushes, ...I have an X-acto knife but only one size blade. I also need a small screw driver and ...

I imagine $50 will do fast!

P.S. Tim, I also do paper arts and adore the sb papers. Very versatile and tons of designs.
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS

Offline Val

• Playmo Pal
I`m lucky....when I need something I turn to him-at-the-next-desk and say "Have we got....?" and it appears from the 35 year collection of toy customising tools. But I have got a very good set of surgical scalpels that belong to me. And these very fine writing pens that you use to draw on acetates for overhead projection presentations are much easier for details than paintbrushes.

Having said that, I can`t paint a straight line and haven`t customised a klicky in months, so it`s a bit of a waste at present. Oh well, new year, more time?

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
And these very fine writing pens that you use to draw on acetates for overhead projection presentations are much easier for details than paintbrushes.

I've been using paint pens for the same reason.  You still need to practice to get a fine line, but it's still loads easier than a paint brush.

I've been longing for some jeweler's tools, tiny files and the like, and even some dentist tools would work well.  The dremel is great, but it can go wrong WAY too fast if you're not careful.  I like a little more control for the fine details.
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
Well, Spring semester started and I'm teaching two advanced undergrad classes so it's pretty hectic around here  plus the pup is in full 12-week-old bounce & chew mode and my kid leaves for Africa this month.  8} Still, there is always time for at least a little shopping.  ;)

So...I finally made it to Michaels! There were having a huge scrapbook paper sale so I ended up getting about 30-40 sheets of fun and unique papers for backgrounds, wall papers, and my "other" hobbies. Then I got into paint bruch mode and found 5 excellent bruches in various sizes and shapes of "tiny!" From there it was off to look at enamels and I ended up with 10 nice colors (what's with the no "girly" colors in enamels...too much of an army/automobile influence   :hmm:  I'll have to see about that!  ;D "Let there be hot pink!"). I also purchased some odds and ends (brush cleaner, fine sandpaper, and such) and then headed for the X-acto knives. In the paper crafts area they had a pretty set but it wasn't terribly versative...then I found the "hard core" set (pictured below) AND the X-acto "Saw" set!!! Top it all off with some red modeling clay and a few rubbers stamps (not photoed) and I'd blown my gift card and then some...but had a blast.

"Have we got....?" and it appears from the 35 year collection of toy customising tools. But I have got a very good set of surgical scalpels that belong to me.
  Lucky indeed Val! And ready for anything by the sound of it!

Here's the bullk of my haul:

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
can we get a close up of the saw?  I haven't seen that.  :)