Author Topic: creating a faux back for Playmobil buildings  (Read 222 times)

Offline breadmobil

• Playmo Pal
creating a faux back for Playmobil buildings
« on: May 11, 2024, 08:33:05 »
Hi everyone,
I’m making a playmobil city Which I want to look good from multiple angles. This means that I want to try and close the back of some of the buildings, so they’re not completely open. The ones I’m looking to close are the town buildings (steck system) e.g.  70014, 70016 etc
I don’t have the means to cut wood really. I was thinking maybe just a piece of foam board cut to the right shape with brick paper added, But it will look quite 2 dimensional. I have removed the baseboards as they stick out really far, so I’ll probably use foam board to make a floor at least.
I’d love to see how other people have done this, Or get some suggestions if possible
thanks!

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
Re: creating a faux back for Playmobil buildings
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 04:16:06 »
Hello breadmobil!

There is a wonderful website:  Macgayver Playmobil which was created by a true master of Playmobil construction.  Very sadly Michael, known as Macgayver, died several years ago but his work remains amazing and inspiring.  I don't know if you will find an answer to your question there, but his website is well worth a visit.   :)
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline breadmobil

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 11:29:19 »
Hello breadmobil!

There is a wonderful website:  Macgayver Playmobil which was created by a true master of Playmobil construction.  Very sadly Michael, known as Macgayver, died several years ago but his work remains amazing and inspiring.  I don't know if you will find an answer to your question there, but his website is well worth a visit.   :)

Thank you, that's sad to hear he passed away. Definitely some really interesting stuff on there, I'll have a proper look later! I did experiment with foam board in the end and I think the buildings have turned out quite well :)

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 16:01:04 »
Glad to hear that you've had success with foam board (one of my favorite art supplies!) - while it's great to make creations that are 100% Playmobil, it's often useful to incorporate other elements.  I hope you'll share photos here . . . .

Back in the day when my kids were young and we didn't have a lot of Playmobil yet, we had a lot of fun making a castle out of cardboard and a ship out of a shiny red gift box with handkerchief sails and cooking twine for rigging, both of which were then populated with Playmo figures and gear.   ;)  :heart:
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline breadmobil

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 11:11:30 »
Foam bard is the best - so easy to cut and so versatile! That's so sweet! I think it's really fun to incorporate handmade stuff and other brands too, especially as I don't want it to completely look like a children's toy. I'll definitely share pictures soon!