Author Topic: Playmobil in the News  (Read 219640 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Playmobil in the News
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2016, 21:50:00 »
I have to agree. Could we get the comet as well?

It's in set 5588:

"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2016, 21:59:46 »
It's in set 5588:

I thought of that. It would work quite well. It just needs to have klickies looking up at it, quaking in terror. Honestly, this set should really happen (but never will).

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2016, 10:24:49 »

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2016, 11:20:44 »
Oh please can we have a Battle of Hastings 950 year Anniversary commeroration set Exclusive, set number 1066, complete with Harold, William and Norman.  Also including a team of seamstresses Capturing the Action on Tapestry as-it-happened. Also a version of that eye-telescope guy from Super 4 with an arrow in his eye like in the Bayeux Tapestry? I don't care if that wasn't how Harold died, it is a very memorable bit of the Tapestry. Very gory and memorable for children. Very educational in a Horrible Histories way.

YES!!!  :)9

I noticed that factoid in the Guardian article. What are they teaching them these days.
I'd be willing to bet that most American children don't know what the Battle of Hastings was. Many American adults would probably give you blank stares if you mentioned it. It's possible I learned about it in history class, but I don't recall ever doing so; it certainly didn't sink in if we did cover it. I know it because I studied languages, and it's vital to the evolution of the English language. Years ago I took a trip to France for the primary purpose of seeing the "tapestry."

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2016, 16:31:42 »
Mind you, there are plenty of major historical events all round the world of which many people are ignorant. I don't know if the Battle of Hastings is really any more significant than many other events- except for its influence on the evolution of the English Language as you said. Ismene. Its very significant for us English-types as it represents the last time England was invaded by a foreign power. But that line of argument starts to verge on Xenophobia and other """Brexit"""-justifications, so I had better stop!

(That B word is just such a stupid word, I really can't stand it!)
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2016, 00:36:30 »
(That B word is just such a stupid word, I really can't stand it!)

It sounds like a breakfast cereal.

I'd be willing to bet that most American children don't know what the Battle of Hastings was.

Naturellement. As GrahamB points out, it's a major event in British history, and not an event in US history at all. The equivalent would be US student not knowing about 1620 or Bunker Hill or the like. Which most probably don't anymore.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2016, 06:35:41 »
Or the "Hoekse en Kabeljauwse twisten" for that matter....

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #127 on: October 18, 2016, 07:45:49 »
I don't know if the Battle of Hastings is really any more significant than many other events- except for its influence on the evolution of the English Language
The replacement of the Anglo-Saxon system with Normal feudalism. Which in turn meant that England and the British Isles as a whole came more into the sphere of France and became increasingly isolated from Scandinavia.
So instead of Britain developing alongside Norway etc, it became heavily involved in France which later resulted in the 100 years war. Celtic culture may even have survived over a greater area had the north remained linked with Scandinavia rather than becoming anglicised via the anglo-norman court.
Hastings was a pivotal moment in Britain's history.

Suggesting it isn't is like saying the Romans came, they saw, they conquered, they left a bunch of broken **** behind and yes, I typed the asterisks.  ;D

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #128 on: October 18, 2016, 08:06:58 »
Naturellement. As GrahamB points out, it's a major event in British history, and not an event in US history at all. The equivalent would be US student not knowing about 1620 or Bunker Hill or the like. Which most probably don't anymore.

The US developed out of British colonies, so it's shared culture and history (much like how Shakespeare is taught in pretty much all American high schools), and Americans should have a vague idea of why there is so much French in the English language. They don't necessarily need to know Guillaume and Harold and the exact date, but they really should know that some French dude conquered England roughly a thousand years ago. There were far more useless things taught in the history classes I took.

Offline JLMatterer

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil in the News
    • Plamobil In The News
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2016, 11:27:58 »
PLAYMOBIL play & give 2016: Nέες συλλεκτικές φιγούρες με έμπνευση από Αρχαία Ελλάδα
http://www.cnn.gr/news/ellada/story/50777/playmobil-play-give-2016-nees-syllektikes-figoyres-me-empneysi-apo-arxaia-ellada

En avant les histoires de Playmobil !
http://www.ledauphine.com/drome/2016/10/17/en-avant-les-histoires-de-playmobil

Lego und Playmobil liegen hoch im Kurs
http://mobil.nwzonline.de/delmenhorst/lego-und-playmobil-liegen-hoch-im-kurs_a_31,1,2298219234.html