Author Topic: Family diversity  (Read 16030 times)

Online Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Family diversity
« on: December 24, 2015, 01:27:22 »
Over the years geobra has made many family packs. There have been the African 7980, Asians 7982, Caucasian 7983, Hispanic 7981, traditional 6395, And many historic ones.

Then there is the ethnic packs with a variety of Africans.

Have they ever made any sets mixing the races? Why not have a family pack with an Asian dad and a Hispanic mother? Or any combination

I know we can mix them at home but is geobra saying only people in their own race should be families ?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
Re: Family diversity
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 02:26:57 »
I think they're calling them families for the sake of ease. What they are is the chance to get one of each type of a given racial or ethnic group.
It also makes it easier to stock sets in such a fashion, otherwise you'd have to have sets representing too many combinations.

Why does the "wife" in the western family set look like a Spanish dancer when the rest of the family are not dressed in such fashion? She should be in standard clothing for the era like the rest but isn't.

Why do you consider it such an issue, are there lots of children you are aware who feel left out somehow that playmobil doesn't cater to them? If such children exist then shouldn't the parents be discussing with them the possibly that their expectations are not realistic for a toy company to cater to every possible outlook or combination of relations on the face of the planet?

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 02:49:17 »
I'm actually with Rasputin on this one.

It's been a couple years since we had the "ethnic" families. They are great for starter sets or just building up klicky numbers, especially child klickies. Obviously it would be difficult to release every possible combination, but they could release 4 or 5 families. It doesn't require any extra work to mix them up a bit.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 03:19:14 »
I don't like to be overly critical on this issue.. because as Rhalius points out sometimes people are eager to look for racism where there is none. But it does seem we could at some point have a mixed family or two. How hard could that be?

I also would love to see the whole family of a set be something other than white occasionally. I mean like the family that goes with a house or a camper, something like that. Rather than just a single black or oriental or hispanic klicky thrown into classroom sets, police forces, etc.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 05:41:22 »
I'm actually with Rasputin on this one.

It's been a couple years since we had the "ethnic" families. They are great for starter sets or just building up klicky numbers, especially child klickies. Obviously it would be difficult to release every possible combination, but they could release 4 or 5 families. It doesn't require any extra work to mix them up a bit.
It requires no work, but I thought the suggestion was for mixed sets of infinite variety which would be unworkable.

Perhaps what is needed is a crowd set with 20+ klickies of various kinds.
I'd also like to see children in school uniform. I thought something may have come along given the popularity of Harry Potter (and anime is full of them) but nothing so far. I think it would do well in the asian market having a Japanese school uniform type set.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 18:56:52 »
Just opened the camping set 5435 and the mom has a definitely darker skin tone than the dad. Might just be a tan, but could also be thnic differences. I wouldn't have noticed it probably except for this thread.

Online Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 23:55:41 »
Just opened the camping set 5435 and the mom has a definitely darker skin tone than the dad. Might just be a tan, but could also be thnic differences. I wouldn't have noticed it probably except for this thread.

Good spot, I will check it out. I think we have that set. Tan or not it's good to see.
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 08:35:49 »
It requires no work, but I thought the suggestion was for mixed sets of infinite variety which would be unworkable.

Perhaps what is needed is a crowd set with 20+ klickies of various kinds.
I'd also like to see children in school uniform. I thought something may have come along given the popularity of Harry Potter (and anime is full of them) but nothing so far. I think it would do well in the asian market having a Japanese school uniform type set.

I'd really like to see a mixed batch of children (maybe alternate sets for different time periods). We never seem to have enough kids that aren't duplicates.

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 22:47:04 »
This thread got me thinking about it in my own collection, so I pulled out my Klickys... even if I was doing just regular family groups (Asian, African American, and Hispanic) I have to mix my Hispanic Females with African American Males in order to create NINE sets of non-Caucasian couples... so then I pulled out the children, and that's where I discovered that I need more African American adults since I have 4 children that don't have families... unless I go to more than 3 children per family.

It was an interesting thing to look at and realize that the diversity really isn't there.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 06:50:23 »
I have that problem too, with way more dark skinned children than adults.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.