Author Topic: 4276 Roman Trireme -- Look, Mum, also a Renaissance Trireme!  (Read 12722 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: 4276 Roman Trireme -- Look, Mum, also a Renaissance Trireme!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 14:17:17 »

¿What ballast? I didn’t find any in the box… ???

What? No ballast?

Hmmm ...

Andy, I'll go look at the instructions and into the galley's bilges.

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 17:33:37 »
:) thank you for reviving this thread blackpearl2006.
 8} i just realized - from timotheos wrong assumption that oar propelled war-boats were used only until the middle ages - that a gun-boat would be a great addition to the pirates / royal navy playmo-theme.
 :) they are smaller than a schooner and maybe this way (keeping it small like the 4444) we could convince geobra that a new royal navy ship is essential for us collectors  ;) (a bigger 3940/3286 type would also be most welcome of course).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 19:10:00 by cachalote »
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 17:45:44 »
:) thank you for reviving this thread blackpearl2006.
 8} i just realized - from timotheos wrong assumption that oar propelled war-boats were used only until the middle ages - that a gun-boat would be a great addition to the pirates / royal navy playmo-theme.
 :) they are smaller than a schooner and maybe this way (keeping it small like the 4444) we could convince geobra that a new royal navy ship is essential for us collectors  ;) (a bigger 3860 type would also be most welcome of course).

It seems you and I are on the same frame of thinking.  I actually use my 4444's as gunships.  I've been tempted to add a bowsprit so it can fly a jib and a square instead though.  And I agree there needs to be a british navy flag ship.  I see folks use the 3286 as a flagship, but the colours just don't work IMO.  We need something even better than the 3286 (let alone the 4290).  Something along the lines of the HMS Victory, ala playmobil.  The 3286 actually makes better as galleon to plunder, and the ideal pirating vessel would actually probably be the schooners as far as playmobil goes, since they are lower on the draft and more manuverable.

I am also fascinated with the galley oars because in Pirates of the Caribbean, the Black Pearl is seen with oars in addition to sails, which I thought was unique (and not typical) of such a ship.  I had thought about adding oars to my custom Pearl and was hoping this roman/greek galley had motorized oars I could transplant somehow, lol.  A boy can dream I guess.

Back on topic, however, I wonder if Playmo would ever make a true galley or even a trireme where clickies can sit below and man the oars?  Dream dream dream...
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 20:05:58 »
What? No ballast?
Hmmm ...
Andy, I'll go look at the instructions and into the galley's bilges.
¡THANX!:)
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 21:52:56 »
It’s not a trireme, it’s a galley.
And yes, the damned thing capsizes at the drop of a hat. Even empty boat mine keeps flipping over.

A trireme is a kind of galley. Trireme mere means it has three rows of oars. The playmo roman ships is in fact a monoreme, as it has only one row. In ancient times there were even galleys with six (or more) rows.
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 09:23:53 »
This is a really old thread!  I wish Tim was still active on this forum. :'(

I'd really like to see a Playmobil version of a man-o-war like the HMS Victory! :captain:
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 17:50:08 »
A trireme is a kind of galley. Trireme mere means it has three rows of oars. The playmo roman ships is in fact a monoreme, as it has only one row. In ancient times there were even galleys with six (or more) rows.
I did not know that (the term “monoreme” not that there was a six-row version).
Thank you. :)
I'd really like to see a Playmobil version of a man-o-war like the HMS Victory! :captain:
MacGayver built DOLPHIN. Dunno it there’s a thread on it, but here’s a LINK. (You have NO IDEA how jealous I am of that…)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 23:15:24 »
I am also fascinated with the galley oars because in Pirates of the Caribbean, the Black Pearl is seen with oars in addition to sails, which I thought was unique (and not typical) of such a ship.

The way they put the oars through the gunports (if I remember well) in Pirates of the Carribean isn't realistic.
But in the late 16th century, a kind of ship called  "Galjas" was in use with the Spanish fleet.
A Galjas is a sort of Spanish galleon crossed with a galley. Having the bow and stern, 3 masts and a canondeck like a galleon, but a mid-ship section with rows of prisoners pulling the oars through the water.
Such ships were part of the (1st) Spanish Armada that tried to attack England in 1588. Some stranded on the French, Flemish and Dutch coastlines.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 03:58:06 »
The way they put the oars through the gunports (if I remember well) in Pirates of the Carribean isn't realistic.
I’d like to see a pic of Black Pearl with her oars shipped.