Author Topic: The Chinese (collectors) have landed!  (Read 3250 times)

Offline PMatt

• Playmo Lover
Re: The Chinese (collectors) have landed!
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2019, 09:54:35 »
That's a stunning find! I am also into Star Wars collecting, and there are plenty of Hasbro knock-offs available on eBay. I've heard from multiple people that the best quality ones (which, I have to say, are indistinguishable from the original product if not for the suspiciously low price) are produced under the counter in the very same factories which make Hasbro products.

Since, if I'm not mistaken, Playmobil did produce some sets in China, does anyone more knowledgeable about the topic think it possible the same is happening here?

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2019, 15:10:17 »

Since, if I'm not mistaken, Playmobil did produce some sets in China, does anyone more knowledgeable about the topic think it possible the same is happening here?

Unfortunately, those sets (for the american market, I believe).. tell..

There's the chicken dragon whose wings fall off if you look hard at them.. And the vehicles. I only have the school bus - lousy quality and it shows... When I was trying to open/close the door.. it was hard.. THEN I remembered.. flipped it upside down.. BEHOLD... "made in china"...

So, hope they stop that. Gives them a bad name.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2019, 16:37:05 »
I think they stopped producing in China - partly because of problems around quality control, and partly because making Playmobil isn't very labour intensive to make so it wasn't worth it.

Looking further into it, both Taopals and Aliexpress have Playmobil for sale at pretty high prices, and lots of them are rare

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2019, 00:42:21 »
I think this is an example of what George found;

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Custom-Playmobil-Plastic-Action-Figure-Anime_60568020107.html

Text says the figures shown are just for example, minimum orders are for 2000 pieces. There is also an add where minimum-order quantity is 1000 figures. Size is said as being 28 cm, but I assume that is a mistake (or something lost in translation).

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2019, 13:17:05 »

They did and the quality was poor so I would have thought that it was once bitten, twice shy.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”