Author Topic: Playmobil PLUS catalogue 2022  (Read 24127 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Playmobil PLUS catalogue 2022
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2021, 03:48:39 »
I have to ask, who comes up with a name like Fort Rocks? :eh?:

:lol: That classic PM tin ear!
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2021, 08:06:24 »
I have to ask, who comes up with a name like Fort Rocks? :eh?:

"Novelmore" - enough said?  ::)

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2021, 11:20:46 »
Is that blonde soldier that comes with the fort female?

The arm seems a bit bend, which could indeed indicate it's a female soldier! That would great and wanted for sure!
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline collectobart

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2021, 23:52:02 »
"Novelmore" - enough said?  ::)

Oh Tahra, why did you step on my fragile soul :-)

Now, with all these projects the best names never make it. Usually you send a list of favorites and some lesser spare alternatives to legal for trademark and claims checking, and since lawyers don't take a 99.99 % chance, many of them don't make it, and usually you are stuck with the ones at the bottom of the list. With Everdreamerz we probably considered dozens of names per character and the choice eventually fell on the 5 names remaining that no toy competitor had any claim on.

With Novelmore, that trademark was picked in under 90 seconds from a conceptual presentation i prepared for the board, there was no qualitative discussion, they just looked at the calendar and realized the trademark had to be registered yesterday. Still think its a good name for the city, but i may have considered a few alternatives for the franchise.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2021, 07:56:14 »
Apparently you have to be a complete dunderhead to run a toy company. There is no other explanation. You read about this kind of thing all the time, PM, Hasbro, Mattel. The only company I can think of that has way more hits than misses is Lego. Nevermind their licensing successes, but also their homegrown IPs, Ninjago and Friends, were massive successes.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline collectobart

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2021, 08:33:56 »
Apparently you have to be a complete dunderhead to run a toy company. There is no other explanation. You read about this kind of thing all the time, PM, Hasbro, Mattel. The only company I can think of that has way more hits than misses is Lego. Nevermind their licensing successes, but also their homegrown IPs, Ninjago and Friends, were massive successes.

Exactly, and really i tried, they just don't get it.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2021, 09:06:37 »
The problem with creativity is, everyone thinks they’re creative, including (and especially) those who aren’t. It is what it is.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2021, 10:12:28 »
Oh Tahra, why did you step on my fragile soul :-)

Sorry.. maybe it works in german.. To me, I can't get away from "novel more" - which... well...  :-[   Like I said, love the stuff (gears and system WHY excluded, along with most of the drunk/high/sleepy eyes)... and the animated series RULES :love:  It's sooooooooooooooooo beautiful.

Now, with all these projects the best names never make it. Usually you send a list of favorites and some lesser spare alternatives to legal for trademark and claims checking, and since lawyers don't take a 99.99 % chance, many of them don't make it, and usually you are stuck with the ones at the bottom of the list.

Right - I can see how that is an issue.

With Everdreamerz we probably considered dozens of names per character and the choice eventually fell on the 5 names remaining that no toy competitor had any claim on.

That one I really dislike, but I guess it's just me. I can't stand that sort of mispelling - it was funny decades ago, when it was a joke. Again, just me, probably.
And a sore topic right now. At least they are appearing about...

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2021, 18:37:21 »
The only company I can think of that has way more hits than misses is Lego. Nevermind their licensing successes, but also their homegrown IPs, Ninjago and Friends, were massive successes.

Let's be fair, when Lego was tottering on the brink of bankruptcy they didn't actually know how much it cost them to manufacture each set, and it turned out they were selling numerous sets at a loss...

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2021, 22:35:20 »
Let's be fair, when Lego was tottering on the brink of bankruptcy they didn't actually know how much it cost them to manufacture each set, and it turned out they were selling numerous sets at a loss...

That was almost three or four lifetimes ago, if we’re really being fair. These past fifteen years at least, it’s been one homerun after the other, with an endless roster of superlative sets in all price ranges, a high percentage of winner licenses, the homegrown IPs, the massive Lego movie … PM has been in a slump since the mid-90s, that’s two decades already.