Author Topic: Photo Competition ???  (Read 25864 times)

Offline deadeye dick

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Capt'n of the Punisher
    • Deadeye Dick's
Re: Photo Competition ???
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 11:19:12 »
I also like the idea of changing photos and showing all submissions. Hituro's game site randomly shows a different grophs each time you visit.

That's exactly what I meant  ;) We could actually have a few windows on the homepage, depending on the 'category'...
Check out Deadeye Dick's hideout @ www.deadeye.be

Offline deadeye dick

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Capt'n of the Punisher
    • Deadeye Dick's
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2006, 10:03:27 »
I saw that this forum supports PHP programming. I found a piece of code to retrieve a picture list from a folder, incorporate this into a javascript and display pictures radomly... Are there techies in the house  O0
http://www.dyn-web.com/scripts/rotate-rand/

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 10:27:26 »
Thanks for the link, DD. :)9

I didn't know anything about PHP before creating this forum, but I'm gradually learning how to use it as I go. I recently installed a PHP guestbook at j4k by myself, so I could probably work out how to implement this code. If not, I know someone who might be able to help. :)

Seems to me that what we need is a page that not only shows all the entries randomly, but also highlights the winning pictures in some way (maybe those pics are static and separate to the others?) - otherwise the people who enjoy entering contests for the competitive buzz will be left feeling slightly disappointed. ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 10:47:59 by Sylvia »

Offline deadeye dick

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Capt'n of the Punisher
    • Deadeye Dick's
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 11:52:19 »
Thanks for the link, DD. :)9

Seems to me that what we need is a page that not only shows all the entries randomly, but also highlights the winning pictures in some way (maybe those pics are static and separate to the others?) - otherwise the people who enjoy entering contests for the competitive buzz will be left feeling slightly disappointed. ;)

Sylvia,

I would use the pictures on the homepage only to draw the attention (teaser) to the 'real contest'. This means that instead of also having rotating links, all pictures (per category) should link to the same contest category page: the gallery, where also the results are posted...

As an example: You might have 3 'windows' on the homepage', one for every category. These windows show all contributions for that month following a random rotation scheme. When you click on one of the windows, no matter which picture is on display that moment, you are guided to a hall/wall of fame, with an overview per month/contest, where the winning pictures are  highlighted (with a medal?)...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 11:56:53 by deadeye dick »

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2006, 13:29:46 »

But what about featuring  the winning picture into the calender?
 8-)
I personally like very much the idea of randomly showing the entries on the starting page with a link onto the contest page...

As to the split contests... To be honest, I dont like this idea too much.
:0
Where does digital enhancement begin and where does it stop?
With the Playmos inside, I think all images have a pretty much
unenhanced basis...  In contrast, I personally enjoy very much the broad diversity of motives and techniques in each of these contests I have seen so far... I feel the split into two tracks unnecessary... As far as I experienced it so far, the winning entries where typically pretty much equally spread over unenhanced, photo-shopped and custom-based entries... So I would not worry about that too much... 

And after all, we are all friends, aren't we?  :love:

best regards,
socrates

P.S.: @DD: There are already THREE categories?  :o
I like the idea of an eternal "Hall Of Fame" :)
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline deadeye dick

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Capt'n of the Punisher
    • Deadeye Dick's
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2006, 13:54:57 »
P.S.: @DD: There are already THREE categories?  :o

Well eh...

1. Pictures digitally enhanced
2. Pictures not digitally enhanced
3. Customizations

Personally I would only make a distinction between Pictures and Customs, but If you think further: where should you place a picture that is digitally enhanced, including a custom  ??? Aaaaaaaarrrrrgh... Indeed...

That's why I like the calendar idea... I supposte we wouldn't make a calender per category, so only the most beautiful 'picture', wether it contains a custom or not; wether it is enhanced or not, would be used for the calendar... So, what's important here is the overall feeling you have with a picture, which brings us back to the basiscs of having only 1 category  :hmm:

Are you guys & girls still following  ;D

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2006, 15:26:22 »
So, what's important here is the overall feeling you have with a picture, which brings us back to the basiscs of having only 1 category  :hmm:

Are you guys & girls still following  ;D

I am completely with you...   :yup:

take care...
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2006, 17:58:02 »
Where does digital enhancement begin and where does it stop?

Digital enhancement begins when you use any graphics package to enhance a picture either by adding special effects or backgrounds etc. It needs to be mentioned here that I would not class a picture that has been re-sized as digitally enhanced. Where digital enhancement stops is hard to define because you can go from simply adding a flame to a burning torch or to adding a whole new digital background. The thing we need to remember is that not everyone has acsess to graphics packages such as Photo Shop. What we need to decide is wether it is fairer to have two seperate competitions or to let those without expensive graphics packages take their chances with those that do.

On a more general note i like the idea of having a competiton to create pictures for the 2007 calendar but i am not a fan of having a 'general' photo competition just yet. As i said before it has been done elswehere on the WWW and we have all seen the problems it has caused. We need to find a better way of running such a competition first and with some of the suggestions allready made we are heading in the right direction.

Kindest regards  Tim  :)9

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2006, 18:08:20 »
Another point i have just seen is what should be done with pictures in the photo competition that have custom klickies in them. I think we are looking at it in too much detail and things are going to become more complicated  8}. If we were to have a photo competition then i feel custom klickies should be allowed. The subject that causes the most debate is enhanced pictures V's non enhanced pictures.

Kindest Regards  Tim

(28/5/03/850)

Offline deadeye dick

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Capt'n of the Punisher
    • Deadeye Dick's
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2006, 18:47:42 »
On a more general note i like the idea of having a competiton to create pictures for the 2007 calendar but i am not a fan of having a 'general' photo competition just yet. As i said before it has been done elswehere on the WWW and we have all seen the problems it has caused.

As I already said: troubles start when the word 'competition' is involved... What we can do is already implement something like the rotation scheme without having a competion -no winner, no losers - and in the meantime think about a good system to organize a competition...

We need to find a better way of running such a competition first and with some of the suggestions allready made we are heading in the right direction.

What do you suggest? Maybe we should make a list of all things considered as potential pitfalls and find a solution for them  :)9