Author Topic: 4820 turntable ladder fire engine review  (Read 12333 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 4820 turntable ladder fire engine review
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 18:13:51 »
Before looking at some ideas for minor custom work, I'll pull loose ends together with some over all photos.  The front view is quiet dramatic, although (being over critical) parts of the rescue cage obscure the view ahead.  Nonetheless, it looks good.  I have seen a custom on klickywelt where the Playmobil sticker has been replaced by a copy of the Magirus design used on the cage base, and this looks very effective.

The rear view is a bit disappointing, partly because I haven't got the rear light stickers on straight!  Ignoring that, it would benefit from plastic insert lights, just as would the pump.  One problem is that to a following vehicle no blue lights are visible, unlike the earlier turntable ladders.

Left and right side views look good, although, as with the pump, I'm not keen on the blue panel.  The RC aerial is clearly visible on the right hand side, behind the storage locker.

Another thing I'm not keen on are all the stickers and so for this review I've put on the minimum possible.  The rear sticker I will remove and I may remove the stickers on the jacks, replacing them by something simpler, maybe an orange faceted "jewel" on each jack.  (I forgot to mention that the jacks are a new design for the fire brigade and are lowered and locked in place by pulling the base plate down and then twisting it a quarter turn towards the body.

Apart from these minor quibbles and the concern about the poor storage arrangements, I very much like this new turntable ladder.  It looks better than the 3879 and 4182 versions which were based on a Mercedes Econic design and, to me, never really looked the job.  So a good buy at just unde £40 in the UK, considerably cheaper than the 4182 it replaces.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 18:24:40 »
Thanks for the excellent review Gordon :)9

I got one of these this afternoon, and like you I am disappointed with the storage, but I like the accessories it comes with and the overall shape and design of it. I am also annoyed that I got a couple of stickers on slightly wonky and generally hate it when a set like this requires so many >:(

I feel that both engines are incredibly overpriced for what they are, but I am happy with them. Have you got the 4822 fire car yet? I also got one of them today and it is not terribly exciting :(

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 18:49:21 »
A look now at solving the storage shortcomings.

One way is to fit a red System-X connector to the rear panel and attach the hose reel unit from the 4825 set as noodwachter72 has done.  This has the advantage that the hydrant and hydrant key can also be carried on the hose reel trolley, so solving another storage problem.  An alternative to this is to fit the hose reel carrier of the sort which comes with the model to the rear panel, again using a red System-X connector.  Either of these frees up space in the storage locker and securely stores the hose reel.  I will, however, use the red hose reel carrier and hose reel if I follow this route.

Another way to solve the hose storage problem is to simply use a hose reel and no carrier as this combination will fit into the storage locker (although it tends to roll out of its own accord when opening the locker!).  This is illustrated in the first photo.  This makes it a bit easier to store the traffic cones and chainsaw and a petrol can can also be stowed (second photo).

I probably favour fitting a hose reel of some sort at the rear and also fixing a length of hose from the monitor to the bottom of the extending ladder section as that way there will be enough hose to allow the ladder to be fully extended and the truck connected to a hydrant.

I'm also looking to store a portable pump in the locker as this removes the need to rely on hydrant pressure for operating the monitor or having the ladder accompanied everywhere by a support vehicle in the form of a pump.  A pump will fit in, although it means the traffic cones have to be carried outside. (The chainsaw and petrol can fit in OK on the other side.

A further, and favoured, variation is to fit one of the narrow "slide-outs" from the 4820.  It fits tightly against the sides (although a couple of brackets to support it would really be needed) but fouls the pump very slightly.  However, a bit of sanding down to reduce the height of the sides should solve this problem; I'll keep people informed.  The slide-out can carry a warning triangle, large and small fire axes and other small equipment.

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 18:58:42 »
Finally, two photos showing possible storage without the portable pump and a possible solution to the rear blue light omission.  This would require drilling a hole behind the ladder operator's seat to take the light pole.

Finally, a very welcome development, the built-up model in the box and with space to spare for extra items.  Well done, Playmobil, on this.

Thank you for your time in reading this review, and I hope that you found it useful and interesting.

Oh, and one thing I forgot - a winch would be useful on this model.  Carefully used, a winch can turn a turntable ladder into a crane, so I'll see about fitting one and trying it out.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 19:09:26 »
Thanks for the excellent review Gordon :)9

I got one of these this afternoon, and like you I am disappointed with the storage, but I like the accessories it comes with and the overall shape and design of it. I am also annoyed that I got a couple of stickers on slightly wonky and generally hate it when a set like this requires so many >:(

I feel that both engines are incredibly overpriced for what they are, but I am happy with them. Have you got the 4822 fire car yet? I also got one of them today and it is not terribly exciting :(

Thank you, Damo.

I'll be buying some spare sets of stickers from DS so you can have replacements from those if you wish.

I thought the pricing wasn't bad.  The 3880 pump when it came out here in 1997 was £25 and the 3879 turntable ladder £35.  The later 3182 ladder in 2002 went up to £40 plus and ended at about £50.  Overall, after 13 years the 4820 is £4/£5 more than it's 1997 equivalent and cheaper than its replacement and offers better detail in the front lights and a roof and more advanced working blue lights, plus some other changes. 

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 19:14:36 »
Once again Gordon you are tempting me really bad to go and get me some of these.... ;D ;D ;D!!!

Really nice preview!! I love your close up pictures!!

Cheers,

Panos

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 19:21:48 »
Once again Gordon you are tempting me really bad to go and get me some of these.... ;D ;D ;D!!!

Really nice preview!! I love your close up pictures!!

Cheers,

Panos

Thank you, Panos, you're very kind.  Now go to the bank and then to the toyshop!   ;D

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 19:43:17 »
I'll be buying some spare sets of stickers from DS so you can have replacements from those if you wish.

I thought the pricing wasn't bad.  The 3880 pump when it came out here in 1997 was £25 and the 3879 turntable ladder £35.  The later 3182 ladder in 2002 went up to £40 plus and ended at about £50.  Overall, after 13 years the 4820 is £4/£5 more than it's 1997 equivalent and cheaper than its replacement and offers better detail in the front lights and a roof and more advanced working blue lights, plus some other changes. 

Thanks, that would be great :)

I suppose the pricing does seem fair considering the older models' prices. I remember seeing the 3182 in The Entertainer a couple of years ago at the £50 and wondering 'who's ever going to pay that much for it?' :-\
I also got a free carry set from TRU with my 2 sets I bought today because I spent over £25 - I got the magic 4777 set because I liked the princess and Unicorns :rainbow:

Luckily I had some vouchers from school which went towards the pumper, but all these prices are causing a real strain on my wallet considering that I am supposed to be starting to save up for driving lessons, college etc 8}

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 20:46:07 »
Have you got the 4822 fire car yet? I also got one of them today and it is not terribly exciting :(

I forgot to answer this, Damo; sorry. 

I haven't looked closely at this yet but I agree with you that it doesn't seem terribly exciting.  The lack of working blue lights is a shame, but against that it is more in scale with the fire engines themselves.  For the moment, I'm running a brigade with a mix of old and new vehicles, the 4820 and 4821 with 3880s, maybe a 3181 (but it is over scale so I'm not happy with it), maybe a Smart for fire prevention and a reserve 3781.  I've also two customs, a 4x4 and a saloon, which can fulfil the role of the 4822.  The 4x4 would probably run without the winch and with the new low profile blue light bar.  I may try fitting the small blue flashers to the grille of the saloon.  Here are links to them:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=1528.0

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=1579.msg17581;topicseen#msg17581

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 21:10:02 »
I forgot to answer this, Damo; sorry. 

I haven't looked closely at this yet but I agree with you that it doesn't seem terribly exciting.  The lack of working blue lights is a shame, but against that it is more in scale with the fire engines themselves.  For the moment, I'm running a brigade with a mix of old and new vehicles, the 4820 and 4821 with 3880s, maybe a 3181 (but it is over scale so I'm not happy with it), maybe a Smart for fire prevention and a reserve 3781.  I've also two customs, a 4x4 and a saloon, which can fulfil the role of the 4822.  The 4x4 would probably run without the winch and with the new low profile blue light bar.  I may try fitting the small blue flashers to the grille of the saloon.  Here are links to them:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=1528.0

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=1579.msg17581;topicseen#msg17581

I really admire your customs Gordon, and I think that your two customs here are exquisite and could easily pass as originals :wow: :wow: :wow:

I think the problem with the new car 4822 is that there is nothing new here, apart from a suprise when I opened the box up was that the fire chief has grey hair which I have seen no other recent klicky having :hmm:
The wheels also look too small in my opinion, but I love the suspension and the fact that it matches the other new engines :love: