Author Topic: 4820 turntable ladder fire engine review  (Read 12379 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: 4820 turntable ladder fire engine review
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 18:15:04 »

As for time with Playmobil, I've got maybe 90 minutes this morning while she's off out.  ;D

Wonder why the ladies always seem to think that we have nothing to do? ...  ::)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 14:59:17 »
Well, I'll continue with the review by posting better pictures of the box sides.  As youcan see, they are nothing exciting compared with the pictures that used to be on the boxes.  It would be good if Playmobil went back to these, putting a "warning" on the box such as "Play suggestions" as you see on cereal packets.  What I called box side A and box side C have the capability of being exciting pictures with a little bit of background and foreground addition, e.g. burning buildings in the distance and water runs in the foreground.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 15:09:40 »
A look at some detail now.

The turntable part of the ladder unit and the non-extending ladder section are entirely new, as is the rescue cage.  I haven't been able to check the extending ladder section against the previous versions, but it looks unchanged to me.

On the rear, left side of the ladder there is now a solid section incorporating a dial to show the angle of elevation of the ladder.  In real life, the sections either side of this appear not to be solid but cables of some sort and these are represented well on the model.  This feature (and the design of the rescue cage) suggest we are dealing with a Magirus ladder unit.

Instead of the ratchet and clip support for the ladder when raised, there is now a pair of substantial hydraulic cylinders to hold the ladder in place.  There is some sort of ratchet mechanism involved inside these judging by the noise as the ladder is raised and lowered.

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 15:13:31 »
The control area of the ladder is also entirely new with a detachable seat and dashboard.  There is a sticker showing technical readout to fit on the dashboard and, as you can, I didn't get this on right first time, hence my post in the Technical Forum on PF.  If the worst comes to the worst, I can always order a new set of stickers form DS.

The ladder operator's seat in held in place with a red System-X connector.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 15:24:13 »
On the opposite side of the ladder turntable, there is provision for carrying a smoke ventilator fan and a generator.  Again, this arrangement points to a Magirus ladder unit.  The generator is held in place by a yellow System-X connector, while the ventilator fan clips over a "handle" fitting.

You can find more about the ventilator fan here:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=3568.0

Lastly, to round this session off there is a scan of the extensive stickers.

I need to find time for more photos before I can continue.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 16:54:14 by playmofire »

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 23:14:36 »
I like how Playmobil covered up the ratchet by putting in those fack pumps!
That is really cool, and really completes the ladder.
Great reveiw, I look forward to more!
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 16:25:56 »
Thank you Warrioroftoys.   Here's the rest of the review, and I'll continue with the equipment.  The first photo is a close-up of the generator showing the two waterproof outlets and waterproof on/off switch.  I've got a spare of these already as it will make a good fusebox/power outlet in a workshop.

The stretcher on its base which attaches to the rescue cage has its own section in the stowage locker, although strangely enough the base and the stowage area are not the same shape; I had expected the base to slide in the slots of the stowage shelf.

Unfortunately, the rest of the stowage is not so successful.  The hose reel holder is too wide to fit in across the locker area and so has to go in lengthways and this means that it takes up more room than it need.  The traffic cones and the Holmatro chainsaw fit in the left had side, but not very neatly.

I'll show some alternative storage ideas later in the topic.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 16:32:45 by playmofire »

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 16:39:43 »
As I've mentioned the stretcher, I'll look at it in a bit more detail.  It's the by now familiar rescue stretcher which has been used on the 3879 and 4182 turntable ladder units.  However, the base by which it is attached to the rescue cage has been brought into the System-X age.  On the underside of the base, offset to one side is a System-X projection which pushes into a bracket projecting from the left hand top of the cage.  The ladder can be brought down below the horizontal for access to the cage to make for easy easy attachment and removal of the stretcher.  A later photo will show the bracket on the cage.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 16:48:24 »
Continuing with the cage, it is a new design and lacks the strengthening members on the bottom.  It does, however, feel perfectly sturdy for the job.  The tilting mechanism is also new, the ratchet system (which often meant that the cage could not be set horizontal) has been replaced by a clutch mechanism which gives virtually infinite adjustment.  The monitor holder and control panel are the same as the previous versions I think, although I haven't had time to actually check this.

Bill expressed concern from some early photos at the toy fair as to whether the cage could take two crew like the previous version.  The answer is that it can.

In the photo of the cage at ground level, you can see the bracket for the stretcher.

When the stretcher is not is use, a System-X clip can be put into the bracket to hold the monitor hose in place.  I am also considering a way to fix a length of hose to the extending section of the ladder as is the case in real life.

Break for dinner now, so see you all later.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 18:00:56 »
Access to the working area of the vehicle is via a set of steps, one set either side, with a neat pair of handholds.

Two crew are provided, one a female.  It seems strange them providing two crew here but only one with the 4821 pump.