Author Topic: Repairing (soldering?) the antenna of a 4011 engine  (Read 873 times)

Offline denefbee

• Playmo Pal
Repairing (soldering?) the antenna of a 4011 engine
« on: September 26, 2023, 19:50:38 »
Hi all

When I was a kid we couldn't afford the Playmo trains (or very large sets), so I am really happy i could buy some second hand ones for my kid.

Usually I only need to clean them a bit and replace a few parts. Recently I obtained an RC 4011. The engine runs, however, the antenna is broken off right above where it comes out of the plastic surrounding of the engine. I have both the old and replacement antenna, but couldnt find any manuals or videos on how to repair it.

I heard it needs to be soldered. Unfortunately I am a novice to repairing electronics and soldering. Does anyone have some tips on how to do it, or links to a video?

thank you!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Repairing (soldering?) the antenna of a 4011 engine
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 20:15:33 »
This may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM11Nnap8x8

but it says you have to solder a new cable to the control board, you can't just solder on an extra bit of wire.

Have you tested the motor to see if it will work with what aerial there is?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline denefbee

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 20:22:52 »
Thank you, the engine does run. I was afraid I'd have to solder it to the motherboard which I don't know how to take out or make more easily accessible for soldering.

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann auch anders.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 07:50:46 »
Erfahrungsgemäß fährt die Lok auch mit abgebrochener Antenne - die  Reichweite leidet bloß ein wenig. Bevor Du groß rumlötest, probier's erstmal, ob's ned auch so geht.

Experience says even with a broke antenna the engine unusally runs properly. So bevore messing around try to run it as it is.

jj:
Lust auf Bilder? => www.klickywelt.de (mit Anmeldung)
Fancy more pics? => www.klickywelt.de (sign in to see)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 08:31:18 »
Erfahrungsgemäß fährt die Lok auch mit abgebrochener Antenne - die  Reichweite leidet bloß ein wenig. Bevor Du groß rumlötest, probier's erstmal, ob's ned auch so geht.

Experience says even with a broke antenna the engine unusally runs properly. So bevore messing around try to run it as it is.

jj:

Yes, that's my experience too.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline denefbee

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 13:57:47 »

jj:

Stimmt. Waere schoen wenn ich es reparieren koennte, aber ist indertat besser dass es nur Jemand Macht mit Fachkentnis. Danke!