Author Topic: What is a Dremel?  (Read 11101 times)

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
Re: What is a Dremel?
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 22:30:20 »
Ask Santa for the higher end one, not the rechargeable.  You'll be amazed at the uses you'll find for the thing.  (a friend of mine uses hers for pedicures  :o  :P )
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 08:42:40 »
On Friday, as a result of tis thread, I finally bought a Dremel.  I got the cheaper of the mains-powered ones for £45 from Homebase.  They had it on offer with a box of accessories for £40 or on offer the way I got it with a standard set of accessories, a storage case for the Dremel and accessories and a chuck.  Another customer looking round seemed to know about Dremels and said that the offer with the extra accessories had a lot of stuff you'd rarely use, while the chuck would be useful for using larger accessories.

First job is some buffing up on the custom I'm working on.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 20:19:42 »
Congrats Gordon!

Next question...what's a chuck (here it's a non-royal Charles).
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 20:28:40 »
It's a pair of jaws for holding larger diameter accessories such as drill bits.  (It's the bit on the fornt of an electric drill which takes the drill bit.)

I've also ordered a drill stand, a small jaw vice to go with it and an accessory which acts as a guide for cutting rectangular holes in materials.  This should allow me to make some low relief buildings for backdrops.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 21:52:17 »
It's a pair of jaws for holding larger diameter accessories such as drill bits.  (It's the bit on the fornt of an electric drill which takes the drill bit.)

That's what they call it here, too (the part you tighten or loosen to replace drill bits).
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 18:27:58 »
Thanks for the definition.

Rectangular holes...now I'm really impressed!
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS

Offline Meg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 04:57:26 »
Gordon,
now that you have had a bit of time to play with this marvelous tool, what are your opinions of it?

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 06:28:44 »
I haven't had time to do anything with it yet.  Monday, I was preparing for some training for yesterday.  Yesterday, I was up at 5 and on my way at 6.30 to train some (in two cases very ill-mannered) teachers, and got home at 6.30 at night.  Today and tomorrow, I've a service to write for Sunday.  However, next week looks promising.

Fear not, though, I'll keep you posted.