Author Topic: 5841 ROMAN FORT  (Read 12732 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
5841 ROMAN FORT
« on: September 07, 2008, 17:21:27 »

5841 ROMAN CAMP

This is another set that I almost didn't buy!

It looks very similar to the Viking Starter set 5707/3137. Actually, the small forts are exactly the same except for the colors/colours.

The base of the Viking set is grass green and the base of the Roman set is sand tan.

The Roman fort does not have a "rock framed" entrance like the Viking fort.

However, some of the other accessories are the same ... such as the little tree.

Even though I have the Viking set, it seemed to me that a sand base Roman fort might offer some different scenic possibilities. Also, the Klickys in set 5841 (although not unique) are very nice figures. So, I'm glad I decided to buy it.

NOTE: The Viking Starter set images were borrowed from Bart's Collectobil and Heather's PlamoDB. (IMO, two of the greatest Playmobil websites on the World-wide Interweb!) All other images are original.

see attachments

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: 5841 ROMAN FORT
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 17:23:09 »

Continued ...

see attachments

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 17:39:10 »

Rasputin suggested that the new "Take-Along" sets could easily be disassembled ... Click HERE.

Following Rasputin's excellent instructions, we inserted the small flat bladed screwdriver in the side tab slot. And, just as Rasputin said, " ... the rear plate will release."

The first image shows the disassembled Take Along set 4774.

The next two images show the combination of sets 5841 and 4774.

see attachments

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 18:18:32 »
Richard, thanks for the review and the pictures!  Although I personally probably won't be buying this set, I think it is a great set for children (I guess they too buy Playmobil ;)), people who want to "try out" the Roman theme, and people who only want a few Romans in their collections.

The greatness in this set lies in its playability, its diversity, its expandability, and its value.  I like that you get the three primary types of Roman klickies (legionary, auxiliary, and centurion), a standard, a scorpion ballista, two "barbarians" (Gauls, Celts, Germans, Dacians, or whatever you wish) and a small fortlet that can be utilized by either the Romans or the Barbarians.  This set makes for some great scenarios:  the "barbarians" could suddenly ambush this small Roman outpost or the Romans could lay siege with their ballista to these last surviving brave "barbarians."  With a few add-on sets of Gauls, Roman legionaries, Roman auxiliaries, and maybe a Roman Tribune, one could even have a battle of medium scale with this set for around $50!

The set, however, isn't perfect in my opinion.  First, while I like that Playmobil has done away with the ridiculous looking rocky arch from the Viking Super Set and saved themselves some money in the process, they should have left the base green, especially since "barbarians" are present.  This color change was a very poor choice.  Second, they should have included an auxiliary shield for the auxiliary soldier and they also should have given him sandals rather than greaves.  (At least they got his helmet right, unlike in the auxiliary add-on pack!)  Also, they should have included two regular spears, one for the auxiliary soldier and one for one of the "barbarians."  These small criticisms aside, however, I think this is a great set!  If I didn't already have multiples of all these klickies and one Viking Super Set, I'd be tempted.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 21:10:45 by Justindo »
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 18:40:38 »
5841 ROMAN CAMP

This is another set that I almost didn't buy!

Hi Richard!
 :wave:

Might I ask ... Why? ???

The set, however, isn't perfect in my opinion.

You should laugh at this, Justindo, and possibly not give yourself the work of thinking an answer, but

What's your perfect set? ... Is there any??!

(Please, remember LAUGHing!)

@ Richard

Thanks, Richard, for the review. This Roman set combined with the take-along barbarian [ "barbarian" *] quite might make me rethink my priorities ... 8}

:-* on your foreheads

Gus
:blackhair:

[*I dislike the Playmobil concept of this word ... I'll rather have the Roman one, derived from the Greek one: "everyone who isn't Roman is Barbarian". Actually, Greek word bárbaros, -e, -on refers to "people that speak a language that we, Greeks, can't understand and, therefore, sounds like yada-yada" (Greek bar-bar-bar, Portuguese blá-blá-blá ...).]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 19:19:08 by Gustavo »
Gus

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 18:44:35 »

Thanks for your comments, Justindo.

And, I just realized that I had forgotten to report that the cost of this set is $19.99 at Target.

The only thing that I would probably disagree with you about is the color of the base. Since Playmobil had already made this small fort in green, I was very happy to see that they had made one in tan for a more desert-like environment (even though green would have been a bit more accurate for a Gaulish locale).

All the best,
Richard

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 18:57:39 »

Hello, Gus ...

Might I ask ... Why? ???

The reason that I almost didn't buy this set was because I already had the Viking starter set. I also had all the Klickys that were included with this set. In other words, there wasn't much, if anything, that was really very new about this set. But, as I continued looking at it, I started thinking about the scenic possibilities of a sand tan base and I really liked the Klickys and their accessories. Now that I own this set, and the more I look at it, the happier I am that I made the decision to buy it!

All the best,
Richard

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 19:14:57 »

I'm glad you bought it! :)

Is it the same kind of ground than the Viking one?

I agree that it's very useful to have a ground that colour, specially with the coming of the Egyptian theme ... I'm sure every playmo "Romanist" will soon agree ;D

Gus
Gus

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 19:17:17 »
Is this the first time that color sand has been used ? I seem to not be-able to find any that match . I guess i would rather have it at least match other sets and not have a whole new sand color tone .
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 21:03:59 »
The only thing that I would probably disagree with you about is the color of the base. Since Playmobil had already made this small fort in green, I was very happy to see that they had made one in tan for a more desert-like environment (even though green would have been a bit more accurate for a Gaulish locale).

In theory, I agree that it's nice to have a different colored base as an option, but grey rocks, a timber palisade, green trees and plants, and sandy ground don't go together, as such a place would never exist in reality.  Had Playmobil slightly modified the sandy colored base and used tan rocks with tan stone walls and no plants or trees, I'd be thrilled and would eagerly buy one or two to put the upcoming Egyptians or past Arabs in it to fight my Romans.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy: