Author Topic: 5950 Pirate Ship  (Read 11637 times)

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
Re: 5950 Pirate Ship
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 15:13:15 »
That is the conclusion that I have come too, also possibly put the screws in... I definitely won't think twice about customizing this one though... the older ones I don't touch.. just because they are awesome... but the new ones are in for a rough time when I get around to it  >:D

I doubt they would produce these in Europe and then sort the parts out for shipping to China and then pay all the shipping charges, duties for non-Chinese made goods (I would imagine that gov't fee to protect Chinese industry alone would be enough to deter anyone from doing this!), then the labour for having to unpack everything and then resort it and then have to repack it for sale.  I would bet the whole thing is made there.  I could be wrong though.

How American companies like Harley-Davidson get to claim "made in america" is because they "make" them there, but import a lot of the parts from Japan (forks, some of the brakes) Malaysia, Macau (chrome work because they dont' have the epa regulations), China (the lights) and other places like that.  So it is "made" (put together) there.  Of course, this is a $20,000 plus vehicle and not a small inexepensive (in relation) toy.

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 18:00:17 »
i can accept ugly stickers and colour combos on the hull because they can always be repainted and customized....but WHY is the standing rigging RED?????  I had the some complaint on the BlackBeard ship with YELLOW rigging!  I tried to repaint the rigging black, but it doesn't take well to the paint, especially when the paint chips immediately once you attempt to have a clicky click his/her hand onto it (to climb).

(Technically, the beige rigging of the 3050 is inaccurate as well, but at least its earth colours matched the rest of the wooden-appearence of the ship's aesthetics.  On real ships, the standing rigging and ratlines were coated with black tar, and should therefore be black.  Older ships may have not used tar, so brown or beige ropes are still somewhat plausible...but RED ones or yellow ones are totally off!)

The only alternative to repainting this red rigging into black (with the propensity to chip off) is to remove it completely and replace with real string (which is a pain to do).

One of the reasons I loved the old ships is because they were more realistic.  Appealing to younger kids with fisherpricey styling---that's what Playmobil 123 was for, wasn't it?  grrrr.
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 14:56:49 »
i can accept ugly stickers and colour combos on the hull because they can always be repainted and customized....but WHY is the standing rigging RED?????  I had the some complaint on the BlackBeard ship with YELLOW rigging!  I tried to repaint the rigging black, but it doesn't take well to the paint, especially when the paint chips immediately once you attempt to have a clicky click his/her hand onto it (to climb).

(Technically, the beige rigging of the 3050 is inaccurate as well, but at least its earth colours matched the rest of the wooden-appearence of the ship's aesthetics.  On real ships, the standing rigging and ratlines were coated with black tar, and should therefore be black.  Older ships may have not used tar, so brown or beige ropes are still somewhat plausible...but RED ones or yellow ones are totally off!)

The only alternative to repainting this red rigging into black (with the propensity to chip off) is to remove it completely and replace with real string (which is a pain to do).

One of the reasons I loved the old ships is because they were more realistic.  Appealing to younger kids with fisherpricey styling---that's what Playmobil 123 was for, wasn't it?  grrrr.

It is true about the rigging.  It will only flake off as it is a polyethelene plastic (more flexible) so it will not break as easily (same os the older hair).  I wonder if the older beige riggings will fit?  I doubt they would make a new rigging mould just for this one boat when they have perfectly good ones already available.

Good news is that since they made a whole new mould for this maybe you will see it relased with different colours over the years.  ???

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 12:47:20 »
I tried to repaint the rigging black, but it doesn't take well to the paint, especially when the paint chips immediately once you attempt to have a clicky click his/her hand onto it (to climb).

Maybe you could try the painting technic explained by Doug in this topic can get you some results. They might not come out black but they should at least be darker.

Offline Ds dad

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 17:34:23 »
I just saw this ship at TRU and will NOT be buying it. It is absolutely hideous and adds nothing to our collection in it's current form. Maybe with a color change and a change in masthead I'll consider it.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 02:27:43 »
Yeah, I am not liking these current pirate sets. They all look alike. ??? Same colors, same odd sails, same few parts on the pirates, the forts all look alike... it's BORING. can't wait for the new pirate stuff to make it here.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 07:12:49 »
If it wasn' for the colours, stickers and sail, I'd like to get this one... of course I could still get it and change the colour... I am good with painting big surfaces  ;D

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 07:41:46 »
I am good with painting big surfaces  ;D

;D  Maybe I should try that...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 07:55:33 »
;D  Maybe I should try that...

just doent try doing details  :lol: :lol:

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 11:50:45 »
I am good with painting big surfaces  ;D

Now, where have i heard this ( which movie ) before ???  :eh?: :eh?: :eh?:
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight: