Author Topic: Power supply  (Read 5601 times)

Offline savvas

• Playmo Fanatic
Power supply
« on: March 04, 2020, 11:35:24 »
Hi everyone, i have a train with a 4375 power supply. Unfortunately yesterday i noticed that 4034's tractor can't haul its tender + 7 more cars. now the question is this. as i intend to add more cars due time, should i buy a new power supply, more powerful, or i have to buy an extra tender to get more traction over power? i noticed that tender's wheels slide, rotating around their axis, but not moving the rack along. i need to give a little push, it parts for a couple seconds nad then it stops.

Suggestions? :wave:

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann auch anders.
Re: Power supply
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 11:49:14 »
Keine Frage des Stroms sondern der Reibung. Die Reibung der 36 Räder von Waggons und Lok auf den Gleisen ist schlicht deutlich höher als die der vier angetriebenen Achsen des Tenders.
Lösungsversuch (a) mehr Gewicht in den Tender und (b) alle Achsen mit Silikon schmieren oder (c) Achsen durch Kugellagerachsen austauschen, die laufen flüssiger.
Grundsätzlich würde ich aber sagen: Das ist nicht zu schaffen. Für so lange Züge sind Playmobilantriebe nicht ausgelegt.

Not so much a matter of power supply but of friction. The tender's just not heavy enough to provide enough fritction with its 4 driven wheels to overrun the friction of 36 loco and waggon wheels on the track.
Try (a) to add some more weight to tender and (b) to reduce wheel friction by greasing or (even  better) installing ball bearing axles.
But frankly spoken I daresay that long a train's too long a train for a Playmobil engine.

jj:
Lust auf Bilder? => www.klickywelt.de (mit Anmeldung)
Fancy more pics? => www.klickywelt.de (sign in to see)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 14:43:49 »
Is your track clean or is dirt or grease causing the tender wheels to slip?

Are the tender wheels clean, or is dirt or grease causing them to slip?

Has the traction tire come off or been damaged on the tender?

Is there something wrong with the loco's wheels causing them not to turn freely and so making it harder for the tender to move the train?

Have you tested the loco to see how many cars it can pull?

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline savvas

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 21:20:43 »
I have located the nature of the problem, it the weight! i added, as suggested, 1 kg of load (those  used in gym, i don't know their name) and the train parted! Now, another problem, how do i hide a kg in the tender, under the wood?
Also, a couple of days back, i cleaned eveything, oiled the trackes, i believe these are fine. i found under the tender a circular/rubber made thing, like a wreath/crown. i checked under the tender, but there is not anything missing. any ideas?

Thank you both for your replies, much appreciated!

Offline savvas

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 21:24:16 »
Is your track clean or is dirt or grease causing the tender wheels to slip?

Are the tender wheels clean, or is dirt or grease causing them to slip?

Has the traction tire come off or been damaged on the tender?

Is there something wrong with the loco's wheels causing them not to turn freely and so making it harder for the tender to move the train?

Have you tested the loco to see how many cars it can pull?

tractor/tender can pull passenger's car + caboose like in the original 4034. I cleaned everything, i believe in the right way! I don't know what a traction tire is, maybe it's what i described above. In this case, i am missing something, i have a piece nowhere to fit!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 22:49:41 »
1kg seems a large amount to add to the tender.  The weight of my 4052 tender with motor is about 1.2kg to 1.3kg, so I would think that your tender with motor would weigh about the same, so adding 1kg is about doubling the weight!

What you found under the tender sounds like a traction tyre.  If you turn the tender upside down and look closely, you may find that on one wheel there is a shallow grove in which the traction tyre fits.

You say you "oiled the tracks", but if you have put oil on the tracks, then you have made them slippery which would mean that the tender would not pull many trucks or carriages.  The oil may also have damaged the traction tyre, causing it to come off, which again means the tender cannot pull well.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline savvas

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 13:00:12 »
1kg seems a large amount to add to the tender.  The weight of my 4052 tender with motor is about 1.2kg to 1.3kg, so I would think that your tender with motor would weigh about the same, so adding 1kg is about doubling the weight!

What you found under the tender sounds like a traction tyre.  If you turn the tender upside down and look closely, you may find that on one wheel there is a shallow grove in which the traction tyre fits.

You say you "oiled the tracks", but if you have put oil on the tracks, then you have made them slippery which would mean that the tender would not pull many trucks or carriages.  The oil may also have damaged the traction tyre, causing it to come off, which again means the tender cannot pull well.

i followed your instructions and indeed the right rear wheel has the grove. Now, problem is that the traction tyre is being cut. i don't think that any glue would be effective under stress, so same piece is useless. Do they sell discrete pieces, where can i find one? Or in other way, how can i replace it with something similar, just to do the job. rubber washers maybe? but it 'd be difficult to find any of the same dimensions  ???

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 16:26:28 »
i followed your instructions and indeed the right rear wheel has the grove. Now, problem is that the traction tyre is being cut. i don't think that any glue would be effective under stress, so same piece is useless. Do they sell discrete pieces, where can i find one? Or in other way, how can i replace it with something similar, just to do the job. rubber washers maybe? but it 'd be difficult to find any of the same dimensions  ???

I'll contact you and send you one.

Offline savvas

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 17:06:07 »
I'll contact you and send you one.

Sir, i live in Greece it would cost some money, if you have any ebay link, that would be appreciated anyhow! :wave: