Author Topic: Medieval Plow  (Read 1813 times)

Offline kenc

• Playmo Lover
Medieval Plow
« on: February 21, 2018, 11:46:13 »
I'm not sure if someone has done it before  ;D, but I was always lacking a plow for my medieval world so I customised one that could be pulled by a horse. The result is quite ok :)

Offline baden-wurttemberg

• Firefighter Enthusiast
  • Playmo Master
    • http://stores.ebay.com/Baden-Wurttemberg
Re: Medieval Plow
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 11:47:43 »
Wow very clever! First time I've seen this done and its great!  :D
Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 12:46:53 »
Awesome :love:

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 15:27:39 »
Beautiful! :)9

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 18:16:42 »
Great job, it looks just right!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 18:21:20 »
Great custom, kenc, and thinking outside the box, but a mediaeval plough would not have had a metal blade but a wooden one.  A coat of brown paint will make it right.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 19:32:59 »
Great custom, kenc, and thinking outside the box, but a mediaeval plough would not have had a metal blade but a wooden one.  A coat of brown paint will make it right.
You're right, the ploughshare would have been wood with a piece of iron attached to the front.
Spades from the period had wooden heads with an iron strip for cutting the earth. The iron strip got steadily larger during the middle ages until the entire head was covered in iron.
It's still a very nice custom and very playmolike. Loved the bells and gate in the other thread too.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 19:45:19 »
I think it wasn't until the 1600s that iron covering the plough blade (I think the technical name is a mould board) entirely or partly began.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 01:47:36 »
I "dig" it  :D
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 03:41:32 »
I think it wasn't until the 1600s that iron covering the plough blade (I think the technical name is a mould board) entirely or partly began.
The mould board was wood, but the thing that actually cuts the soil is the share/poughshare which was iron. That's ancient and iron ploughshares were used by the ancient Romans and probably Gauls etc.
Not sure, but I think the mould board is designed to turn the soil as the heavy plough tilled deeper than the ard before it allowing heavier clay soils to be tilled. This heavy plough appeared around the 11th century and resulted in a population boom as land previously unable to be cultivated was farmed.
Any farmers here know better? ???