Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
Host
« on: March 06, 2009, 11:57:04 »
A very good day to our Moderators  :wave:

Just a quick question if I may...

As this wonderful site has been going on for a long time, did you have to change hosts in the process or did you stay all the way through with the same one ?

I am asking because I have had many friends managing / moderating great websites on great variety of subjects and had to move from time to time to another host and they were quite annoyed of the inconvenience caused to not only them but their members.

One easily forget sometimes what effort and dedication goes into moderating / managing a website.

Well done Guys  :wow:!!!

Karim :)
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: Host
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:20:18 »

So far we've been with the same webhost from day one. :)

The service seems pretty good, and there is very little downtime (touch wood). ;)

A few months ago, there were some technical problems. I thought we were going to have to move to a dedicated server, but everything seems to have settled down again. I think it might have been caused by a sudden surge in bots accessing the site.

The software used by the forum is a free one, so it doesn't cost anything to upgrade. However, there is a lot of work involved whenever an upgrade is performed because I have a lot of hacks and custom pages in place. It's not a simple matter of installing new files because I have to re-edit certain things, like the registration form. I'm not particularly fluent in PHP scripting so this makes everything take a bit longer.

I had to take the forum offline for a few days last time I upgraded, which was summer 2007. I guess we're due another upgrade soon. :toot:

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
Re: Host
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:54:33 »
... last time I upgraded, which was summer 2007. I guess we're due another upgrade soon. :toot: ...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!

I can't live without PF for a few days !!!  :'(

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.