Author Topic: Server Error Message  (Read 8903 times)

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
Server Error Message
« on: September 19, 2008, 04:48:49 »
Hi Sylvia! 

It sounds like a few of us have had the same problem recently.  Sometimes when posting I get a Server Error message.  Then when I re-do the post, thinking that the first one was lost, I discover that the first one went through after all.  This just happened to me today in the Shopping & Auctions section and I ended up with two new topics instead of one.  Because it was a topic and not just a post, I was not able to delete the extra one myself.  Rasputin mentioned that something similar has happened to him.

I didn't think to save the text of the Server Error message  :-[ sorry!  If it happens again I will try to copy and save the message for you. 

Thanks!
- Anne

U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: Server Error Message
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:08:44 »

I'm not sure what exactly is causing it.

If it's a server error, then it's not something I am able to fix by myself. I can only alert the webhost about it.

The dreamhost team are pretty good at discerning problems and getting them sorted out, but sometimes it can take several days for running processes to return completely back to normal.

We are on a shared server so if we are experiencing some difficulties, it's reasonable to assume that a few other websites are also affected. This means they will probably already be working on rectifying the situation as I write this. :crossed:

The moderators do check this forum regularly so please don't worry if you accidentally double post on occasion. It's no trouble for us to delete the duplicate posts (gives us something to do actually. ;))

I checked the forum error log and there is no record of the error there. Please copy it for me next time as this helps me greatly when contacting the support team. :yup:

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:26:56 »
To tell the truth, it's not a huge problem - for me, anyway.    I will try to save the message if it happens to me again and hopefully other folks will also be on the look-out for it.   :)

The moderators do check this forum regularly so please don't worry if you accidentally double post on occasion. It's no trouble for us to delete the duplicate posts (gives us something to do actually. ;))

Thanks!    :*)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:54:25 »
It was happening for me for a few days and just stopped all by it self ( unless somebody did something )
It was always the same thing . You hit the post button then the screen went to an error page in bold type  .
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 06:20:17 »
That's strange.  I had the server error message and I'm sure I posted on it in this thread, including the full message.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 09:59:18 »

That's strange.  I had the server error message and I'm sure I posted on it in this thread, including the full message.

I didn't get a notification as I did with the other replies here. :eh?:

I guess that PF's misbehaving server had one more trick it wanted to play on you that day. ;)

I sure hope it's settled back down for now. Overall, the service we get from dreamhost is pretty good and problems normally get sorted out quickly. :)

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 13:25:07 »
Sylvia, thanks for following up on this!  It looks like the problem is not a chronic one, fortunately.   :)

In the future, if and when something like this happens again, I will copy and save the text of the error message so that you can see what the exact problem is.  I hope that other folks will try to do the same!   :yup:

- Anne

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 15:01:10 »
This was one i get once in a while trying to open up a page

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@playmofriends.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 09:05:30 »

I've done some general maintenance and I've also checked the server error log.
It was completely empty so there are no clues as to the cause of the temporary outages.

I've written to the Dreamhost support team and described the problems we've been having and given them a copy of the error message.

Hopefully they will be able to tell me what is going on and will assure me that it will soon be fixed! :crossed:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 09:54:53 »
Just got the error, after posting a long response.

When I tried to re-post, it warned me that a post had been made while I was typing, which was of course my own.