Author Topic: up loading pics  (Read 10478 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
up loading pics
« on: October 21, 2007, 01:02:52 »
hi i am having problems with uploading pics . i have a Mac and use I Photo . i open the pictures in Photoshop and do a Resize Image. i lower it below 100 and in one of the formats it said to use . and i still get this

"You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are doc,gif,jpg,mpg,pdf,png,txt,zip."

I am using photoshop PDF

computers are such a love hate relationship for me  :-\
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
Re: up loading pics
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 07:50:54 »
"You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are doc,gif,jpg,mpg,pdf,png,txt,zip."

I am using photoshop PDF

Photoshop PDF? Do you mean the file format you're saving your picture is PDF? (Acutally I do not know the combination of Photoshop -- what is a good selection for editing your pictures -- and PDF which is in principle a text/documentation tool.)

I think the issue you have is actually the file format type you're saving your picture. Normally -- and especially if you're using Photoshop -- you have the possibility to chose a specific file format when saving your photo out of a photo editing software. Most common format for photos is JPG wich means, that the file extension is ".jpg" (or all in captial letters ".JPG"). I'm quite sure that Photoshop has the possibility to save photos/pictures in JPG format. As I do not have Photoshop I can't support here properly but just have a look at your save file dialog: somewhere should be a drop-down menu where you can select the file format to which the photo should be saved.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:41:56 »
Jochen is quite right.  Photoshop and its related programs can save in a number of formats but the default is Photoshop's own (I've forgotten the actual initials, although I don't think it's PDF).  It's caught me out a number of times.  When saving, click the arrow oin the Save file as box (this may not be the actual wording) and look for jpg or jpeg and click on that and then click on Save.  I think that will work.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 11:53:56 »
Jochen is quite right.  Photoshop and its related programs can save in a number of formats but the default is Photoshop's own (I've forgotten the actual initials, although I don't think it's PDF).

It's called "PSD".

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 12:27:43 »
Thanks for the confirmation of the name, Jochen.  I knew it certainly wasn't called PFD.  Presumably the PS of PSD stands for PhotoShop.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 13:07:09 »
PaintShop Pro is my main editing tool, so I don't use PhotoShop very often, but it does sound as though Jochen and Gordon have worked out the cause of your problem. :yup:

Their should also be a facility within your program to export/convert your image file into either a JPG or GIF suitable for web use. In the version I have, PhotoShop 6.0, it is called "Save For Web."

If your original photo is very large (as most digital camera images are these days), you will probably need to resize it first. I would select IMAGE from the top navigation bar and then IMAGE SIZE from the drop-down list. In the new window which appears I would input a new pixel width in the first field (let's say 500, for the sake of this example).

It's up to you to decide how large it needs to be in order for everyone to see the detail, but try to remember that a moderately sized image will make it easier for everyone to view your picture without scrolling across the page, and it will also mean you will not need to use as much compression on the final picture to get it within the 100kb limit.

After re-sizing the picture, the next step would be to compress it to a slightly smaller file size. I would select FILE (from the top) and then SAVE FOR WEB. In the next window I choose what type of file I want to create (either JPEG or GIF) and the quality of pic I need - LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH or MAXIMUM. Low will, of course, give you a file smaller in size than High, but the quality will be noticeably different. I can see exactly how large the file will be at each different setting by looking in the bottom left corner of this pop-up window, just below the preview image. (My version also provides an approximate download time for the image on a 28.8 kbps modem - i.e a very slow one! :P)

Btw, if you need to keep your original photo in it's uncompressed state, it's probably a good idea to either rename your new image or save it to a different location on your computer (e.g a new folder). Otherwise, you could be at risk of overwriting the original image.

PhotoShop does have its own PDF file format as well as the PSD and PDD ones. Perhaps your program is defaulting to that because it was the last one you used? In any case, a JPG file is the type I would recommend you use if you are wanting to upload photographs to the forum. :)

Hopefully I haven't made things even more confusing for you. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your creations! :crossed:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 14:27:08 »
Thank you i will try these tips out after work today if i am not to tired .  :wow: thanks again
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 18:50:23 »
In the next window I choose what type of file I want to create (either JPEG or GIF)

Just keep in mind that GIF files from definition only will use a maximum of 256 different color shades, which sounds quite a lot but for some photos might be to few. Normally the imaging software gives you a hint, that it "re-assigns" certain colors to the limited 256 color scheme, which might cause bad results. So in case of photos I also would recommend using JPG, because reducing colors might cause a bad look of the pic.

Sometimes it could make sense to use GIF anyway, e.g. if you want to use transparent background (or to be precise: use transparent areas within the pic thru which the background can be seen), which is not possible with JPG; for this you have to use GIF or even better PNG which also is loss free like GIF but can use as much as different color shades like JPG; typically due to the loss free character of PNG (and GIF) those kind of file formats produce larger files than JPG.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 06:17:48 »
i went through your instructions up to the compression part. It would not allow me to select "file " in the save for web screen and when i selected it to be a gif file and tried to attach it , it still said those files can not be used ???? I have not had this much trouble on other sites so i do not know what i am doing wrong. I am not a computer programer so all the software lingo is of no use to me . Sylvia's simple institutions are all i can decipher ( up to the compression part ) .

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 06:46:05 »
Hi I notice some forum-goers paste photos full-sized into the body of their message, but the standard attachment process under "Additional Options" just pastes photos as thumbnails at the bottom of the message.

How do you do it?

I tried cutting and pasting a picture, which pasted as "<<file:///c:/location/name.jpg>>".  I thought this would trigger an upload, but after posting, it came out as just the literal text "<<file:///c:/location/name.jpg>>".

On the other hand, I presume the thumbnails make it easier for people with dialup to scroll quickly.  So maybe I don't want to paste photos into the body of the message.

But I must know how!   >:D >:D >:D >:D