Author Topic: How do you collect the Fi?ures?  (Read 3842 times)

Offline chriscute

• Playmo Pal
How do you collect the Fi?ures?
« on: August 27, 2013, 03:55:48 »
Hi,

I collected the complete sets of 24 figures for each of the first 3 series of Fi?ures, but with series 4 I've decided to be more selective.  I primarily buy modern themes, so I'm not interested in more pirates and knights etc.; however, the collector in me still wants to complete each series!  All of this led me to wonder how other members approached the Fi?ures line.

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
Re: How do you collect the Fi?ures?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:32:30 »
Having been away from Playmobil for the last few years, I missed out on the start of the Mystery Figure releases.  I've managed to get maybe 75% of them from finding stores with unsold stock, but going forward, I think I'll be trying to get one of each.

One thing I love about the Mystery Figures is it gives me the opportunity to have a figure from a theme that I don't necessarily want to buy a larger set, but really like having a token figure.

And man, I wish all klickies came apart so easily!

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 05:56:22 »

If only!

I only buy the figures I would like to use for diorama making. That's how I try to limit my purchases of PM in general.

Offline Lynx

• PlaymoChess
  • Playmo Addict
  • The Story Of Randolph * PlaymoChess
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 08:36:34 »
I have to be selective due to lack of space and money. My collection is mostly all before the 'gun' era, so knights, fantasy and history.

One thing I love about the Mystery Figures is it gives me the opportunity to have a figure from a theme that I don't necessarily want to buy a larger set, but really like having a token figure.

I agree with Salamander, if there's one with an interesting hairpiece, body, head or whatever, you don't have to buy a larger set but just that f?gure. When I have a list of f?igures from that series I want, I search an eBay shop where I can buy them in once.
RANDOLPH, a comic with Playmobil! Click for part: [1] [2] [3]

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 12:55:24 »
It's pretty much a guessing game to me, if a series has several nice figures I take the gamble and try and get the ones I want, but this doesnt always happen sadly enough.

Never was able to get the king of series 4, tried to feel for the cape but theres a lot of figures with capes in that series. I have them all aside from the king.  :(

Had descent luck today with series 5. First time I took a chance with the girl figures since I want that archer lady. Bought 4 girl figures and 2 boy figures.

Results was:
-1 Viking.
-1 asian warrior in gold armor.
-Pink princess.
-princess with flowers.
-Tennis girl.
-Yellow fairy.

Not that bad considering I stick with collecting medieval and pirate themes and nothing else, I try to find figures that work for that.
Already have a few vikings so he can join that group, the asian warrior can be used in a story as a traveler from a distant land, the pink princess will probably be used a lot as a background figure and maybe a minor role sometimes, and the fairy looks very nice. Might remove the wings and give her a cape to cover up the hole.

Not too fond of the flower princess, parts might be useable to mix with other figures if I get more though. tennis girl is nice but not my theme. Again, parts can be used. Just glad I didnt end up with aliens or such since then I might not even get useable hairstyles.

Offline Ds dad

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 14:51:31 »
I only get the ones that fit in with our themes and that I like.  So mostly the historical figures. I am perfect on the feel method so no superfluous figures.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 19:14:10 »
I only get the ones that fit in with our themes and that I like.  So mostly the historical figures. I am perfect on the feel method so no superfluous figures.

The same goes for me. Sometimes I get multiples of the ones that have really good parts or that I really like. There are a lot that I never buy though, like most of the figures that fit into modern themes.
~Pynedor~

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 19:47:12 »
I've been fairly lucky to always be able to feel the figures I want. I do collect Knights and stuff like that but, I collect more on the basis of figures or stuff which I like or which holds a nostalgia with me obviously with the Mystery figures it's the earlier so I just tend to go with the ones which look good to me like the Dwarf, The King and The Aliens or ones which fit in with my interests like the Formula 1 type driver, The Roman solider and the Grenadier Guard I also got a t elast one figure to use some of his parts as it's cheaper than hunting the parts down through other means. I don't think I've got doubles of any figures yet apart from going back for a Dwarf for a friend but, obviously if you get extras of useful parts all the better  :)     

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 19:53:28 »
i make my choices based on:

-custom posibiltities (not to customize among the surprise figures but to use the body parts for future ideas)
-the esthetics and originality of each figure (i've seen some mystery figures have been released in previous sets, which i find lame, hence i don't buy those)

Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 21:46:20 »
I always get at least one of each, just for the sake of completeness. I don't necessarily keep a full set intact, though. Some that I don't like (I'm not into wizards, vampires, etc.) I just take apart and use for parts. Ones that have particularly useful hair pieces, or that I like as is but also want to customize, I will get extras of.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.