Author Topic: Figures Series 18 (Boys:70369 Girls: 70370)  (Read 1724 times)

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
Figures Series 18 (Boys:70369 Girls: 70370)
« on: July 24, 2020, 23:01:48 »
The new series was launched Friday 17th of July, two weeks ago. In what follows I will not give a comprehensive review, just want to gather some impressions. Share the joy that new parts bring.

Most excitement was aroused by the bagpipe player:

I have stated elsewhere in this forum that I have no feelings for this figure, but understand that others do. (Perhaps their insightful comments can be copied to this new thread so that they can be read more widely?)

I have more sympathy for a knight appearing in the girls series. The body is actually male, so, with me, she joins the boys.

I have a weakness for figures with bodies and legs printed in a shared pattern.  :)

Tonight I figured out that the body of the dark-skinned knight actually perfectly fits the arms of Willem van Ruytenburch, of The Night Watch fame.

So I can do away with the weird spiked arms of the original. :D

Finally, I like the red hair of the rock musician, but not the rest of him, so the hair is the only part that stays.

I am curious to find out what other people think of these figures, and the others of the series that I didn't get.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
Re: Figures Series 18 (Boys:70369 Girls: 70370)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 17:12:04 »
This thread appears to be a dud, so I'm going to drag some commentaries pertinent to the bagpiper from a private section of this forum to expose them to the public light of day.  ;D

I am curious about the belt too... I like the pouch thingie.

It is called a sporran.

Uhm.. shouldn't that be OVER the skirt, and not on the guy's chest? Or is that something else?  :-[

No, you're correct, it should be over the kilt. But this is Playmobil, they're not in the business of accurate representation, they fudge things all the time. If you look at the moulding of the pouch it's clearly meant to be a sporran, but they didn't manage/try to get it positioned correctly - if they had the toga (the "plaid", which does not mean "tartan") would have had to go.

Having just got this figure (the Bagpiper) I have to say he may not in fact be Scottish. Kilt (lack of), sporran (lack of) and hat (more Russian than Tam O'Shanter) suggest he may belong to one of the many other peoples where bagpipe-playing is perpetrated.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 01:11:50 »
A Russian Scot! Will wonders never cease! I shall name mine "Jock MacIvanovich"
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 11:23:32 »
 :lol:

Ivanitch might be more appropriate for a kilt-wearer striding through tick-infested heather.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 11:28:50 »
This thread appears to be a dud, so I'm going to drag some commentaries pertinent to the bagpiper from a private section of this forum to expose them to the public light of day.  ;D

Thanks for that, StJohn. I toyed with the idea of bringing together the various references to bagpipers, but never gor futher than searching the forum for references. Interstingly, several people predicted (wished for) a bagpiper figure several years befoe one actually appeared!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 12:36:58 »
:lol:

Ivanitch might be more appropriate for a kilt-wearer striding through tick-infested heather.

:lol: I'm literally slapping my knee right now!
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 00:12:36 »
Got me the Scottish Russian (or vice versa), but I´m not very excited about him or his bagpipe either.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Basie10

• It's ok :)
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 03:36:41 »
Ahhh how I've dreamed of a bagpiper in far off New Zealand :love: :love: But alas, it seems unlikely that Series 18 will ever arrive here and the cost of buying one from alternative sources is outrageous :'( :'( :'(  shame :-\