Author Topic: 'Playmobil: The history of a Smile' book by Felicitas Bachmann  (Read 5193 times)

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
I have never read this book myself.  Can those who have tell me more about it - ie what kind(s) of pictures does it have?  Is it full colour?  Is it worth getting?

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 'Playmobil: The history of a Smile' book by Felicitas Bachmann
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 20:11:50 »
It's well written and illustrated and well worth getting.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 21:07:52 »
has it been discontinued?

were can you get it?

didn't playmobil had it available on their website?

what was the original price?

???
more details please ;D
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 21:26:49 »
The fun park in Athens had this book until 2009... too bad I did not get it at that time  :(

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 23:43:05 »
Oh my goodness  :o Why is it priced so high?
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 00:24:47 »
Hi

One on the second link of Gordons is listed at $564.77 and do not for get the low $3.99 shipping. What the heck is with Amazon and their prices. People use it as a bench mark to set local classified prices. The logic being if it is $564.77 on amazon than my price of $250 is a great deal.

It is a nice read and sold somewhere in the $25 range if I am not mistaken. If you find it you should pick it up, and who knows you could try to sell it for $1000 some day :lol: good luck

If you want some pictures of the inside to get an idea what it looks like let me know. Who knows with the current trends now I may sell a cd version on Ebay for a deal at $200  >:D

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 17:47:23 »
I actually have a spare copy that I was going to auction on ebay before Christmas, but I forgot!  :-[
It was for my Christmas present last year and I bought it thinking Sandy wouldn't get me one, but he did! 
Originally I think I paid just under £20 plus postage for it.  It is in excellent condition and as I haven't got round to putting it on ebay yet, I'm open to offers  ;)

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 17:56:51 »
I'm open to offers  ;)

Elaine

How about a fiver and a caravan wheel? ;)

No, I've got this book and it really is worth getting - I have read it cover to cover no end of times! :love:

Damo :)

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 21:09:53 »
Oh my goodness  :o Why is it priced so high?

Hi,

I suspect the reason the prices are so high is because the sellers are using automatic pricing software, rather than actually going to the effort to find out a price for which they might manage to sell the book.

So far as I understand it, this type of software skims through lots of listings of other online booksellers catalogues to see how often a particular title shows up (and how many copies). The software then sets a price based on the perceived rarity of the book. The software (and the seller using it) don't really think about whether the price is sensible -- it's just the result of a data mining algorithm.

Most sensible people looking for a book will probably have an idea of what's a reasonable price, or will try to find out from fellow enthusiasts what a reasonable price might be (which is what started off this thread  ;)). And those sensible people will sensibly refuse to pay such ridiculous prices. But from the sellers point of view, in the true spirit of capitalism, if there are people out there stupid enough to pay the laughably high prices, the sellers are smart enough to take their money. The 'value' is set by what the 'market' will bear.

@Wesley Meyers: IMHO, you're far better off making a reasonable offer to skypurr (Elaine) for her spare copy than paying the silly prices asked by those sellers going through Amazon.

Playmobil.de had the book available at a substantial discount the last time I checked, but that's only the German-language version -- not much help if you can't read German. But the pictures are still neat.

Cheers,

AndrewL