Author Topic: Dragon Knight 4633 and 5828 has two versions  (Read 2099 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Dragon Knight 4633 and 5828 has two versions
« on: June 01, 2014, 12:46:38 »
I opened a MISB 4633 today and was surprised to find the neck/shoulder piece did not match the picture on the box:

The box pic shows pointed extensions to the neckpiece over the shoulders, but mine had none, meaning at least he can raise his arms above his head.

I searched Google images for a picture of a similar figure, in 4633 and 5828, and came up with a couple for 5828:, but most of the figures had the pointy shoulders.

I don't think my figure is deformed or miscast; it looks like Geobra changed the design without changing the packaging. Maybe this was to give the klicky greater freedom of arm movement, but other figures have similar restrictions brought about by clothing (eg American footballer 4635 http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/klicky.pl?partnum=k4635).

Has anyone else noticed any similar redesign with other klickies?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:58:27 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
Re: Dragon Knight 4633 and 5828 has two versions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 13:57:57 »
This part without the shoulder extensions has become the rule now. I think it looks strange, like something is missing.
PM probably didn't realise the mistake themselves. They must have repacked the leftovers from the blister pack, which maybe didn't sell well? (I for one wouldn't have bought that blister, I mean you get a green dragon knight! Was there ever a knight as ugly as that?)
Life in the so called space age...

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 14:04:16 »
That armor piece is a bit bulky in front of the face, which is the reason I'm not overly fond of it.. The shoulder things do make movement awkward - or impossible, but as you said, there are many such parts.

(I for one wouldn't have bought that blister, I mean you get a green dragon knight! Was there ever a knight as ugly as that?)

Don't be mean.  :P  There are some great parts there!

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 20:58:43 »
To be honest, I don't care for either of these knights.

Those red hands! And the black really doesnt work well with the armor. I do think that when used on a very medieval armor style black armor could be cool, but not like this weird mish mash. A true black knight, now that might be neat to have. The Green Dragon knight does have a nice shield... I gues without the weird green arm armor and the green helmet and with a fancy hat he could be a nice nobleman.

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 21:37:48 »
I have that Special but I can't remember if he has the shoulder pads or not. I'll check when I get home.
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 01:45:43 »
I have that Special but I can't remember if he has the shoulder pads or not. I'll check when I get home.

Mine does have the shoulder pads. It was also MISB when I got it a couple of years ago- NO idea where's the box to check country of manufacturing though...
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 07:26:47 »
I think my MISB was probably made later in the history of this Special. The mini-catalogue in my box was dated 10.09- that's October 2009 (cover shows 4835 Dragon Knights Castle and 4633 is shown amongst other Specials inside). Collectobil gives the release date of 4633 as Feb 2005, so my one was perhaps created four years later.

Special 4646 (issued 2006) also has the pointed shoulder extensions. I think Cowabounga is right- Geobra realised their mistake sometime between 2006 and 2009 and redesigned the part.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 04:02:40 »
If you look closely at the pictures of the two figures - the one from the special and the one from the two pack, you will see that the chest print is different.  Not different in design, but in size or placement (one comes lower). 

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 14:50:01 »
That's probably due to the calibration of the machine or the position of the piece at the time of printing process.
I doubt it is a conscious design decision.
just my  :2c: