Author Topic: New Sets 2012  (Read 104650 times)

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
Re: New Sets 2012
« Reply #430 on: January 28, 2012, 22:46:41 »
I had a similar thought when first looking at them. Last year, the new pirates' sets for instance contained very few accessories and klickies. The pirates' ship and big island only came with 3 klickies each, probably to keep the price "low".

(they've now raised the prices of several sets, f.e.ship and fortress, between 40% and 50% in January; the pirateship was 48 euros in toyshops, now listed 70 euro on the belgian playmo-website. I bought the fortress for 35 euro, it is now listed 53 euro on the official site).

When I now see that f.e. the Western plane-wagon comes with 4 klickies, I wonder what such a "common" set will cost. The fort comes with 4 soldiers and 2 indians, which makes a total of 6 klickies... Wow, even the old Western-forts never included such a high klicky-number. The more the merrier I'd normally say, but I'm really wondering to which price-range this will go...

It's not a question of prices but also of marketing and what have you. Licensed Lego themes like Star Wars are very, very expensive, but people still buy them.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #431 on: January 29, 2012, 00:42:58 »
I have to contradict myself. I said before that there was nothing that caught my eye.
BUT I LOVE THE NEW WESTERN STUFF!!!!! Most of all the colors!!!! They areso grown up!!!! SO ME!!! Now I hope for a new release of the Victorian theme with this tendency!!!!

So I raise this questions...

1) have you noticed that "boys'" sets have very grown up, warm, dark colors, while the "girls'" sets are still too pinkysh and childish? (western, agents, cargo, police vs hotel, magic castle) Is this a trend to get kid's attention, just because boys and girls like different stuff?

2) Or do you think this new "grown up" color pallette is directed to adult collectors?  :love:
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #432 on: January 29, 2012, 00:51:28 »
I think it's a combination of one and two. I like to think the new western theme was geared towards us adult collectors. :love: Thus the more grown-up look.

For the hotel, it's definitely made to appeal to the current girly-girl market. There are a lot of super super super girly toys that are very popular right now. I think they are probably having trouble hooking that market lately, and are doing what they must to get girls asking for playmo. Lego has had to do it, too. I think it's probably a smart move on their part to try to corner that market. After all, we do want playmobil to stick around -- they have to do what they have to do. But at least they gave us our western theme we've been begging for!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Ds dad

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #433 on: January 30, 2012, 15:26:19 »
I have to say I am relieved. Other than the Western cannon I am not interested in any of these sets. Hopefully I can continue with the knights and pirates in 2013 (when these new sets make it here) and not get too distracted by the new stuff.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #434 on: January 30, 2012, 19:24:58 »
One thing that I don't think was discussed...

All the printing is stickers because they're not the real thing yet? The "REAL" sets will come printed as usual, not with stickers, right? (ok, we could do better than the late USUAL (lack of) print quality, but..)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #435 on: January 30, 2012, 19:42:46 »
Printing on what? I'm not sure what you're talking about. :eh?:
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #436 on: January 30, 2012, 19:50:25 »
The body paint on the indians, the details that should be printed on the klickys are stickers...

Offline Ace

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #437 on: January 30, 2012, 19:55:19 »
When I first saw the agents, I though the same thing. The individual letters on the side of the boat seemed to be stickers. It turned out that they were all actually printed, so I think it will be the same this year  :).
Ace :brownhair:

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #438 on: January 30, 2012, 22:41:04 »
Darn... I was hoping the sign with date (1848) on the Western-wagon's cover would be/remain a sticker, then it could be used in other themes without having to scrub off the print.
(which can damage the plastic made of the softer type, which is being more & more used, and I bet the wagon's cover will be soft plastic)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 22:46:11 by Hadoque »

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #439 on: January 30, 2012, 22:42:17 »
Btw, I love the new covered wagon! Too bad about the printing. ::)