Author Topic: Serenity/Firefly Customs  (Read 9074 times)

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
Re: Serenity/Firefly Customs
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 21:56:56 »
I posted a link over one my Welcome thread but here you go as it's still onscreen.  This may not show their clothes as well as possible.

http://www.gateworld.net/firefly/characters/index.shtml

"Senerity" is a movie based on (and having the same cast) as a short-lived Joss Whedon series called "Firefly" that only ran for one year (2002) but is a clut favorit. It's a mix of science-fiction and western genres and very "Joss Whedon-ish".  I'm a big "Buffy" fan and am just getting caught up on the series Firefly.

"Firefly" is the type of ship they zoom around in and "Serentity" is it's name.

Mal is the Captain
Zoe his right hand #1 partner
"Wash" the pilot and Zoe's husband
Inara is a paid Companion (legal and revered in this universe) who is also
      called the Ambassador (she's sort of a mother figure to the crew, not
      a companion there)
Jayne's a big lug henchman with a heart of...lead?
Shepard Book is the roving minister/monk with a past
Kaylee is the "sweetheart" master engineer/mechanic
Simon is a talented doctor who is now their medic and on the run with
River, his sister, a genious pyschizo he broke out of a militrary research lab

Together they do "jobs" (mostly illegal") and try to avoid capture by the alliance (sort of "The Empire") ...see, it's simple...and very quirky.

Edit: Ah, here we go...(this was the only photo I could find of the entire cast that I could bootleg):

Left to right: Jayne, River, Simon, Mal, Inara, Zoe, Wash (back), Kaylee (front), Shepherd Book

« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 22:15:30 by Psyche »
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 23:27:43 »
Kryssie ~ You can probably get Firefly on DVD these days ... it's been off the air for some time now.  And yes, any Joss Whedon fan would at least know of Firefly.  DH LOVED the show, but I never really got into it (mostly because it never appeared at a consistent time).  I got into it after seeing the Serenity movie that just came out.

Psyche ~ Thanks for the synopsis  ;D  I like to call River the Psychic Psychotic ("I can kill you with my brain"  :o ).  Wait'll you see the movie ... she kicks butt!  Serenity is also the last battle in the war against the Alliance, and 'Mal' named his ship after that battle.

Oh, and MY Jayne is wearing a yellow t-shirt with the 'Blue Sun' logo ... Blue Sun is a bad guy company associated with the Alliance, and River REALLY doesn't like them.  The t-shirt is one Jayne wore in  an episode Psyche hasn't seen yet  :P  Jayne's gun's name is Vera, but I haven't done that custom yet.

Here's the pic I want to pose all of my customs in front of when I get to that point.  Left to right, it's Jayne, Kaylee, Wash, Zoe, Mal, Simon, and River.  It's important to note that while you don't see 'Mal' in a coat in this picture, he and Zoe were on the side of the Independents (aka Browncoats) in the war against the Alliance (who wanted to 'civilize' the outer planets by telling them how to live).  So, my 'Mal' is wearing his brown coat.  ;D

Kaylee is the one I'm working on right now, in this outfit.

She's one of the ones I want the new fairytale hair for, and she'll probably end up being my avatar when I get there.  Doing the flowery top is going to be tricky.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 23:33:54 by Serenity »
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 05:15:33 »
Psyche ~ I forgot to ask you, what graphics program do you have?  I can't help much with Photoshop, but if you have Paint Shop Pro, I can walk you through some of those effects.  Layers are my friend, as is Gaussian Blur ;)

Edit: Oops I modified your post but fixed it back. Sorry. I need to be careful where I click.  :-[
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 06:18:10 by Psyche »
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 06:11:08 »
I have the education edition of photoshop (it costs about half of the open market edition as it is sold only to educators). I've not been able to figure it out hardly at all! I've got a book but not the patience (or time) to just read and play as I'd like.

Is paint shop pro expensive?

BTW, your new Zoe avatar looks fabulous!

For Kaylee what about the maid from 4254? Though I can't tell if the pattern on her dress is on the top as well as the skirt.

found here

I like to call River the Psychic Psychotic ("I can kill you with my brain"  :o ).  Wait'll you see the movie ... she kicks butt! 

Ooh Really!...then maybe I should go by "River"? (Mystic River? ) That seems the best fit for me! And she's a dancer...so we have both psychosis and dance (and the occasional butt-kicking) in common! I likey. ;D  8}
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 06:29:06 by Psyche »
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 13:54:28 »
The last time I checked, Paint Shop Pro was $89 for the download version.  I forgot that you get that educator's discount!  You might get the same for PSP.  It's put out by Corel now http://www.corel.com  There's also a 30 day free trial version on the site.

I checked out the maid, she's pretty close!  I'm halfway through painting her, so we'll see how that turns out.

Offline David

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2005, 10:46:17 »

First Serenity 1001 pardon´s for not commenting on your fabulous customs. To tell the truth, I´m not sure what you´ve customed and what is original (that´s meant as a compliment). 

We didn´t get a sniff of this show, so I can´t say much except it looks as if we missed something.

Guarrenzino

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 05:03:18 »
Thanks, G  ;D  Serenity (the movie) should just be coming out over there.  I think the opening in LOondon wasn't that long ago.

You might be able to rent the television shows on DVD.

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2005, 23:23:33 »
I have no idea what kind of movie Serenity is, but the klickies are very good  ;D

Offline Meg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2005, 03:49:13 »
Serenity is like a space/sci fi western.

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2005, 12:20:02 »
Hello Serenity

Thank you for sharing your custom's with us, they are amazing. I still cannot beleive these are your first attempts, you must be a natural customiser. I am looking forward to seeing some more in the future, i will have to do a bit more research on the TV series.

Regards  Tim

(28/5/03/850)