Author Topic: SAS Counter Terrorist Unit  (Read 7746 times)

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
Re: SAS Counter Terrorist Unit
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 17:07:06 »
Awesome customs. But you must hurry with the others, and maybe make a few terrorist too?  :yup:

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 19:27:09 »
Very good, simple arrangement of parts but that paint job really does the job, I bet before they were painted they looked really odd.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 21:12:02 »
Hello MBL, Kristian, Garry

Thank you for the kind feedback, it is allways much appreciated. The gas mask's are indeed the yellow type that came with the old firemen, the only difference is a touch of black paint. The klickies certainly did look strange before painting with all the different coloured peices !!

Hello Gordon

Thank you for your feedback don't worry about posting to soon, i have done it myself in the past.

Hello  Diana

Thank you for your kind feedback it is very much appreciated :). I dont really know that much about guns apart from what i read in book's.  All of these books are about how the military use and fight with weapons. The ideas for these minatures were taken from a book about the worlds Special Forces :).

Hello  Rob

When it came to painitng the klickies i used a special spray paint that i buy from a place called Games Workshop. It gives an excellent finish and drys very quickly to, which is allways an advantage because i am quite impatient  :lol:.

Regards  Tim

(28/5/03/850)

Offline David

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 16:27:53 »
Hi Tim,
     Impressive customs, in fact at first I thought they were virtual :o
 Hmmm, should I invest in an airbrush.

Great figures Tim and lots of information. I didn´t know that the SAS sent a couple of men to Mogadishu. 

Thanks for the pic of the model Jean Luc.    I remember the SAS in WWII from the time I used to read warbooks.  There was a group that used to operate deep in the desert that always fascinated me, Popov´s Private Army they called them. 

The overall colour scheme of the equipment is black for a very important reason, primarily designed as a shock tactic. Black figures crashing into a room cause fear thus gaining a couple seconds hesitation from the host giving them time to eliminate the drinks ;D

That´s just the equipment I would have loved for party-crashing  <:> >:D

~sigh~ Why wasn´t I born later?  ;)

Guarrenzino

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 18:49:47 »
Hello  David

Thank you very much indeed for your feedback it is really much appreciated. I had to look twice at the quote you provided and then go back and check i had not written it myself by mistake :lol: :D Seriously with the way my mind has been lately due to the cold weather anything is possible  :lol:
I used a special black spray paint for the SAS. It comes in spray cans and is made by a company called Games Workshop. I don't own an airbrush myself so all of my work is either hand painted or sprayed using cans of car spray paint. I shudder to think what i am doing to the ozone layer with the amount of spray paint i use !! One of the days when i get chance i will write a 'how to' article on the types of paint i use  :).

An additional piece of information on the SAS and Mogadishu is that they even took with them several home made stun grenades that were created at Stirling Lines. The GSG 9 commander at the time, Ulrich Wegener personally invited both SAS troopers to join him in the storming of the aircraft. It was certainly an honour to be invited to take part in such an important mission.

Kindest Regards  Tim

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 22:49:54 »
I have to say I find these guys a bit creepy. :0

That's not a bad thing though, since I like anything that challenges preconceived ideas of what types of roles are appropriate for klickies. :)9

Thanks for sharing them with us, Tim! :)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 17:11:52 »
Hello  Sylvia  :wave:

Thank you for the kind feedback, it is allways very much appreciated. I am glad you liked the custom's even though they may appear slightly creepy :). I think the reason i chose to make them was partly due to my interest in the SAS. To an extent however i suppose i see them as just another extension to my security forces, which untill these turned up used to be my Police.   

Regards  Tim  :)

(28/5/03/850)

Offline David

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 18:04:36 »
Hi Tim,

Thanks for all the extra information. Sorry to mess with your text, I just couldn´t resist. ;)

You used carspray??? Wow! That´s simpler and cheaper than buying an airbrush. I must try it

Guarenzino.

Offline Meg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 19:02:18 »
Thanks for sharing your customs and techniques.

Knowing these people are around (are there any women in the SAS?) should make civilian klickies feel safer.

The paint job is really cool.  I like the matte black look, a lot.

Thanks for sharing,
Meg

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 12:08:08 »
Hello  Meg  :wave:

Thank you very much for the kind feedback it is really appreciated. As far as i am aware there are currently no women in the SAS with a fighting role. This is due to it being classed as a frontline unit and from what i gather the British army still does not allow women to fight on or behind enemy lines in such a capacity. However there are instances when women in other units do find themselves close to enemy activity.
Saying all this though there are certainly women involved to some extent in other agancy's, particularly in diplomatic protection. There are also women in MI5 and MI6 because it is recognised that they have certain skills that their male counterparts do not have.  I hope this helps answer your question Meg, if i find out any more information i will let you know  :)

Hello  David  :wave:

Thank you for the kind feedback it is very much appreciated. I use Acrylic car paint on a lot of my vehicle models or big projects as it is a quick way of getting a good result and their is a wide variety of colour's. Unlike an airbrush it has the advantage of being quick and easy to use because there is no cleaning involved between spraying different colour's, you just swap over to a different can. You never have to buy any propellant because it comes in the can with the paint which is allready mixed to the right consistency. However the paint i used for the SAS is a different type, it is still an Acrylic spray paint but it is not a car paint. It has been designed by a company called Games Workshop to be used as an undercoat on their range of metal and plastic wargames minatures. I hope this helps answer your question  :)

Regards  Tim

(28/5/03/850)