Author Topic: 4847 Treasure Hunters Metal Detector  (Read 5134 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Re: 4847 Treasure Hunters Metal Detector
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 18:57:00 »
Hi

I always found this car thingy very silly looking. Where in the real world would you find a huge metal detector on a vehicle? Playmobil was a toy of real life in miniature. The price seems rather high as well. $30 seems a lot for a small base, 2 klickies, some plants and a lizard. I guess the metal detector is where most of the money is. That vehicle does not even look like we could use it for anything else really. It has that big space in the middle when you take the detector out . I also am not very fond of these over-sized reptiles that have hit the market. They are just way out of scale but maybe the crystal is actually uranium and has growth properties to it.  I really like the Klickies and their attire and will want to get them.

Thanks for the review Martin.

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

I agree the vehicle is a bit of a bust. As you say, Playmobil usually represets life in miniature, but this doesn't recreate anything in real life. Even the Secret Agents Theme has more real-life believeability, even if it comes to us via movies.

I think the vehicle might be rescued if Playmobil had an alternative fitting to replace the metal detector, a digger bucket, shovel, snow plow or something of that sort. They may have something like that in mind already. A big tree-cutting claw would have fit into the theme, to clear a path through the jungle to get all the treasure out, or to create a helicopter landing zone.

@Bolingbroke - only three hand-held accessories does seem mean, but with one driving and nowhere to store stuff that leaves one pair of hands to hold the three items. Once this set is combined with others in the theme the lack of accessories is less of a problem.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 21:40:53 »
The vehicle could form the basis for one of these telefork machines you see on farms nowadays.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 00:00:44 »
Good review Martin,  :clap:
I would say thank you for showing us but it now means something else I'll have to buy for Junior!! :lol:
I know Junior would love the iguana, but would probably turn the vehicle into a part of another giant robot for his space diorama!

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 13:33:02 »
Still - up to some years ago, you used to get lots more accessories per set: the pirate theme is a case in point. You got more weapons than you needed, but it was alright cause you would use the extra ones as spares (and let's not forget what it used to be like when we were kids: I would lose small parts like revolvers etc every day). This new trend can even be seen in the bigger sets like the new pirate ship - compare its contents with those of the previous pirate ship to see what I mean. I can understand it if they're doing it because the sets are becoming more expensive to produce, but still, it sucks a bit.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 13:53:28 »
Thanks for the review Martin! I do see the need for the flashlight for sure & I hope they have plenty of back up batteries since the metal detector doesn't have any headlight decals as shown on the box cover with the operator using his MagLite instead :lol:!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 10:05:50 »
Great review, Martin! :wave:

This looks a great fun set, and the Klickies look really good!

Now the vehicle I really do like. When I first saw an image of the set before it came out I immideately saw what it could be converted into (nothing that has been suggested so far) :D

But of course I won't say yet :-X

Damo :)