Author Topic: Playmobil - The Movie, flops  (Read 3503 times)

Offline tigana123

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Chief Architect

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
Re: Playmobil - The Movie, flops
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 20:27:29 »
Well, if reviewers conspired to make a flop out of this movie, they succeeded. I really haven't seen a single positive review. I also don't understand the comparison with the Lego movie, because it's a totally different kind of toy. Is there no one who actually saw the film, or am I the only one who liked it?

Offline tigana123

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Chief Architect
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 09:46:37 »
I haven't seen the movie yet, but as far as I know, playmobil has a weak presence in US, so I'm not surprised that the movie was not a success. Having said that, I was also not expecting that it would be that much of a failure!

Offline Erik

• Playmobil crusader / Toyhunter
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:24:15 »
I've seen the movie, and it's not all THAT bad, really.
The most valiant knights are made of German plastic!!!

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 11:17:46 »
I've seen the movie, and it's not all THAT bad, really.

Haha, what a ringing endorsement!

They obviously didn't have a lot of faith when they pushed the release date back, but that looks pretty terrible. I've not seen the movie (I don't really go in for childrens animation, due to being a cynical old man :lol:) but other than the Lego Movie I don't think toy-based movies do very well as a rule? There's a reason they're usually straight-to-DVD.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 12:19:18 »
There seems to be a social media campaign claiming the Playmobil movie is the biggest flop this year but I will nevertheless order the dvd in order to make my own opinion and I am quite sure that I will enjoy it  :love:

Karim
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline Erik

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 12:52:58 »
There seems to be a social media campaign claiming the Playmobil movie is the biggest flop this year but I will nevertheless order the dvd in order to make my own opinion and I am quite sure that I will enjoy it  :love:

Karim

You will enjoy it, I did!
I just think that with all the great animation pics out there, peoples expectations are/were a bit high maybe.

Offline Erik

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 12:56:00 »
Haha, what a ringing endorsement!

Obviously it's not the best animation pic ever made, lol-but I've seen much worse ones with a bigger budget and much more "hype".

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 18:49:02 »
Reading the article in tigana123's original post, I found the following were the most interesting facts:

Playmobil: The Movie was made on a $75 million budget, but took only $656,630 at US box offices in its first weekend. This is despite many theatres offering half price admission ($5 a pop). (Even without half price tickets, takings would probably not have cleared $1 million).

Globally, box office receipts stand at just $12.5 million, showing that the film has not been particularly well received by audiences even in parts of the world where Playmobil is a better established brand than seems to be the case in the US.

Comparing this film with others released in a similar number of theatres (2,300+) makes this the biggest flop ever in the US. A less ambitious release may have avoided this embarrassing statistic, but it's still a flop!

The late release in the US compared with other parts of the world was due to the bankruptcy of the original US Distributers, not a marketing policy.

Many other toy-based or animated movies have flopped in recent times, including Lego ones! Even Disney's Frozen 2, which I saw in an empty (audience of 14) cinema 5 days ago seems to struggle to attract people (admittedly when we went, it had been on UK release for 13 days already).

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 19:15:44 »
With the problem I pointed - too much crammed in too little, so hardly any characters - I did have a good time.  In my book, the best I saw this year (I did love Linda Hamilton/Sarah Connor in the new terminator, but that is all there is good about it).

As to the lego movie (only saw the first one) - probably a random 10 mikes of the playmomovie are more entertaining than the whole thing. I admit I MAY BE a BIT biased. ;D

Does the dvd have subtitles? I wanted to buy it (from the uk, of course, it was bad enough having to watch the.. oops, kindergarten language alert! ... BAD murdered version here)...  But I like my subtitles (in english)  I have no idea why these idiots keep insisting on making .. CHEAP dvds for purchase, with LESS value than alternate free options. I am still waiting for a proper Black Sails edition.  Don't get me started on Spartacus, Firefly, or the Alien Quadrilogy  >:(