Author Topic: Yay! I got a response from Playmobil  (Read 7890 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Yay! I got a response from Playmobil
« on: September 16, 2008, 12:35:43 »
to my idea of putting Playmobil Romans into Roman museums in the UK:

Dear Mr. Milner,

Many thanks for your e-mail.  I think this would be a great idea.

We have a group of representatives who travel the country servicing toy shops and finding new outlets is part of their remit.  I will forward your excellent suggestions on to the relevant representative for them to call on when they are next in the area.

Once again, many thanks for bringing this opportunity to my attention and for being a life-long fan of Playmobil!

Kind regards
Jamie.

Jamie Dickinson
Trade Marketing Manager

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
Re: Yay! I got a response from Playmobil
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 13:01:51 »
mmmm - I think that that's an excellent reaction. Question remains: will it have any result!
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 13:39:03 »
I'm not terribly hopeful, but at least I know that if they don't follow it up successfully, it won't be because the idea wasn't in the Playmobil pool of ideas. If I ever see Playmobil in a Museum in the UK, I'll know it was my idea that got it there.

I don't know if the relevent representative is on commission, but that's how things were done when I knew sales reps, and any lead is worth following up if you're on commission.

My concern is that either they don't follow it up, or they decide that if a Museum can't carry a full line, then they can't just have some Roman sets. It takes a bit of vision to see what that one Roman figure in a child's hand might lead to, and I'm not sure the reps have that vision, or even time to think about the bigger picture.

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 14:29:08 »
Good job Martin! I wonder if they have any ACW figures out Gettysburg way?

Gepetto

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 16:10:04 »
Great result, Martin.  Co0ngratulations!

English Heritage is one organisation they should approach with a view to garrisoning Hadrian's Wall.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 18:19:58 »
A few years ago now when the Vikings came out I visited a museum in York and a few of the Viking sets where being sold in the gift shop.

Also a local Farm / adventure playground near to me called Rand Farm park sold the Playmobil farm sets.

It was a bit unusal seing just a handful of sets in a paticular theme being sold, I was always led to believe that if you sold Playmobil you had to stock the full range.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 18:27:14 »
A few years ago now when the Vikings came out I visited a museum in York and a few of the Viking sets where being sold in the gift shop.

It was the Jorvik Centre, Gary, so very special.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 18:40:30 »

Good job Martin! I wonder if they have any ACW figures out Gettysburg way?

Gepetto

Or, PIRATES down here in the Caribbean? ...  :klickywink:

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 19:29:04 »
It was the Jorvik Centre, Gary, so very special.

No, Gordon, I saw them in the Yorkshire Museum.

We visited a Time Team dig of an old Hospital, we walked along the river and saw the signs for the museum and gardens. We didn't go to the Jorvik centre that year because we went the year before and found it very expensive.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 19:48:33 »
No, Gordon, I saw them in the Yorkshire Museum.

We visited a Time Team dig of an old Hospital, we walked along the river and saw the signs for the museum and gardens. We didn't go to the Jorvik centre that year because we went the year before and found it very expensive.

Sounds as if the two of them must have had them in - I hadn't realised that the Yorkshire Museum had sold them too.