Author Topic: 6559 Eskimo Family  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
6559 Eskimo Family
« on: May 28, 2018, 02:45:15 »
From out of the dystopian hellscape of the current Arctic theme comes this wonderfully classic set: the Eskimo Family! No laser guns, no pink dresses - just regular-looking Eskimos with regular Eskimo gear. It's great! I rank this set up there with stuff like the Greek gods! I also really like the "family set" concept from PM. They should do ones for more peoples.

The package:

Contents of the package:

The manual:

Accessories. Two different kinds of parka hoods! And a nice husky. Not sure about that boat hook. I think a spear would have been more suitable. And why does the daughter have a less warm hat than the son does? So many mysteries in the far North. The spade and axe might not be completely accurate but they are adequate stand-ins for Eskimo snow-cutting tools.

The klickies proper, in three views. I assume their costumes are fairly authentic, but what do I know about Eskimos? The detailing on the children's outfits is wonderful! I do wonder though about the mother's clothing: do Eskimo women wear skirts? Seems to me that would lead to frostbitten undercarriages! But what's a Playmobil set without an oddity or two.

For comparison, here's the Eskimo woman (Eskimette? Eskimeuse?) from Fi?ures Series 10. She's got mother's torso and father's legs and hood. Note too that mother and father have slightly different mittens. I am counting Fi?ures Eskimo as the family's aunt.

About those snowshoes: they don't really fit, they bend when you put them on. I don't like them  >:(
Here's an up close shot:

A family shot. The husky is blocking the cooking fire, but take my word for it, it's blazing away, boiling the three fish for dinner. Do Eskimos cook in big iron pots? These ones do!

And a final shot of the whole family out doing some shopping. Mother is getting some dinner while the rest of the family acquire some nice clothing!

"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline kaethe

• Playmo Addict
Re: 6559 Eskimo Family
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 04:56:14 »
Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I totally missed this.  I have quite a few original Eskimo folks as well as the igloos and icebergs , dogsleds and polar bears but they need more neighbors.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 15:11:58 »
Oh, Macruran, PF's sardonic genius, thank you for this review. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the last image and its caption.

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 15:38:46 »
It's a great set, one of The best add ones in a while. The family sets in general are one of their better lines these days.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 10:16:00 »
Lovely review, thanks for sharing! I love the snowy landscape in that last picture (thanks for holding fire on the red ink, this is a family show after all!).

Someone (a librarian) once told me that the term 'Eskimo' means 'smelly fish people' and should be universally replaced with the term 'Inuit'.

Someone else told me that, of all professions, librarians experience the lowest stress levels. That always makes me whisper VERY LOUDLY in their places of work!

I'm off to Wikipedia to check the truth of the above allegations.

Mind you, someone once told me that Wikipedia....
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 20:59:52 »
Yes, I believe we're not meant to say Eskimo, but I sort of think it's like Cowboys and Indians - the Playmobil sets are so removed from reality that it sort of matters less.

ANYWAY, I recently got this set and love them. I think they maybe put the lady in a skirt so she is different from the recent Fi?gures one

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 02:20:39 »
Nice review of a great looking set. Must get some of those campfire pot supports.

Your show shoes are on backwards by the way, that's probably why they don't fit properly. The bit that sticks up goes at the front so you can push through snow like the high front of a boat pushes through water.

Awesome last picture. Whack those filthy snow rats topside the head! ;D

...and I just noticed the gun... :lol:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 08:54:10 »
My daughter likes to go out clubbing!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 02:06:45 »
My daughter likes to go out clubbing!

<:>

Your show shoes are on backwards by the way, that's probably why they don't fit properly. The bit that sticks up goes at the front so you can push through snow like the high front of a boat pushes through water.

:o How did I make such a blunder? :-[ Thanks for pointing it out Klix, my faith in PM was wavering.

Here are the shoes on the right way round, as you say they don't bend. Sorry for the lack of focus, it's the camera's fault I swear.

"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: