Author Topic: 5813 - Gladiator with Lion  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
5813 - Gladiator with Lion
« on: August 25, 2007, 10:14:47 »

This item is not in the UK catalogue and is as far as I know only available in North America.

With only four gladiators in the Arena set 4270, plus one special, further additions to my Ludum Gladiatorium were a priority.

This figure is new, has a new style sword not often seen, and comes with a great rack of spare weapons - always a bonus to my mind. The weapons rack will fit well with the arena in a gladiator training or waiting area.

My only complaint about this set is the inclusion of a lion - we already have a lion in the arena set, so why not put in something different like a puma or a leopard? These figures already exist in the Playmobil range, so no extra effort is needed - and the gladiator's waistband even has a leopardskin pattern.

Overall a good set, and I'm glad I managed to locate it on eBay.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:47:20 by Martin Milner »

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: 5813 - Gladiator with Lion
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 17:43:06 »

Hello, Marty ...

Maybe this set is supposed to represent "Androcles and the Lion" ... Which would be in keeping with Playmobil's current biblical productions (IE: Noah and the Ark, St. Martin of Tours, and all the Christmas sets).

Thank you for a very fine review.

All the best,
Richard

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 19:05:33 »
Maybe this set is supposed to represent "Androcles and the Lion" ... Which would be in keeping with Playmobil's current biblical productions (IE: Noah and the Ark, St. Martin of Tours, and all the Christmas sets).

Androcles and the lion is a fable or folk tale, probably based on Aesop's fable of the slave and the lion, rather than a Biblical incident. Daniel was the Biblical character who ended up in the lion's den.

Here's a link to the Androcles story:

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0156.html#jacobs

And thank you Martin for the excellent review.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 22:56:22 »

Androcles and the lion is a fable or folk tale, probably based on Aesop's fable of the slave and the lion, rather than a Biblical incident. Daniel was the Biblical character who ended up in the lion's den.

Here's a link to the Androcles story:

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0156.html#jacobs

And thank you Martin for the excellent review.

Hello, Gordon, my pedantic friend ... :)

You are getting quite picky in your old age ... ;)

Actually, Androcles and the Lion is also an early 20th century (1912) George Bernard Shaw play, where Shaw, in his inimitable style, tells it as a Biblical Story! (Or, as Wikipedia suggests, "The Bible according to Shaw!" ) ...  ;D

However, Gordon, my friend, you are absolutely correct. Androcles and the Lion was originally based upon an Aesop Fable: (And, I hate it when you're right!) ...  8}
A slave named Androcles once escaped from his master and fled to the forest. As he was wandering about there he came upon a Lion lying down moaning and groaning. At first he turned to flee, but finding that the Lion did not pursue him, he turned back and went up to him. As he came near, the Lion put out his paw, which was all swollen and bleeding, and Androcles found that a huge thorn had got into it, and was causing all the pain. He pulled out the thorn and bound up the paw of the Lion, who was soon able to rise and lick the hand of Androcles like a dog. Then the Lion took Androcles to his cave, and every day used to bring him meat from which to live. But shortly afterwards both Androcles and the Lion were captured, and the slave was sentenced to be thrown to the Lion, after the latter had been kept without food for several days. The Emperor and all his Court came to see the spectacle, and Androcles was led out into the middle of the arena. Soon the Lion was let loose from his den, and rushed bounding and roaring towards his victim. But as soon as he came near to Androcles he recognised his friend, and fawned upon him, and licked his hands like a friendly dog. The Emperor, surprised at this, summoned Androcles to him, who told him the whole story. Whereupon the slave was pardoned and freed, and the Lion let loose to his native forest.

Should some scholar wish to carry this further, Gordon, he or she might find that Androcles may have not only predated Daniel, but very possibly was the inspiration for Daniel according to (who else?) Daniel ... :)

For anyone who is not yet bored, Click HERE ...

All the best,
Richard

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 10:01:43 »
I wasn't aware of this set, so many thanks, Martin, for posting the detailed photos. 8-)

And thanks also for the background info, Gordon and Richard. ;)
I guess it could explain why Playmobil included a lion rather than another wild cat which Martin said he would have preferred. There does seem to be a distinct pattern for the creation of sets which reflect fables or other famous stories. :yup:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 10:17:34 »

Should some scholar wish to carry this further, Gordon, he or she might find that Androcles may have not only predated Daniel, but very possibly was the inspiration for Daniel according to (who else?) Daniel ... :)

For anyone who is not yet bored, Click HERE ...

Or to put the author Richard's link leads to more succinctly "Although the book of Daniel belongs to the sixth century BC, most scholars do not believe the book was written then.  They opt for a second century BC writer, drawing on well-known stories..." (The New Lion Handbook to the Bible).
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 16:41:22 »
I too have this set and I really like it because of all the extra weapons you get with it.

I suppose it would of been nice to get something like a tiger with it.
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline GRANT

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:41:15 »
I also have this set and out of all of the Target sets here in the U.S. this is my favorite.